Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: acclimating koi...the correct way?

Nisai
    Hello,

Are we talking about taking the fish home from the dealer, or when it comes directly from Japan and had a very long journey?

Just to be sure!

BR

Quote Originally Posted by RelaxZen View Post
    Are we talking about taking the fish home from the dealer, or when it comes directly from Japan and had a very long journey?
    Hello BR . . .

It doesn't really matter, since the same procedure would apply in both situations.
    _____
    Don

I generally float the bag for around 30mins(unless I forget)......After 30mins I get my biggest koi bowl(70cm), put some pond water(3 to 1 of the water in the bag) open the bag and let the fish out of the bag so I can check the fish. After that put the fish in the pond and dump the water from the bowl on the lawn....I have been doing this for a number of years now with no problems to the fish....

Just a note:

This is my procedure and I wouldnt suggest anyone to try what I do.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

MCA
    After that put the fish in the pond and dump the water from the bowl on the lawn....I have been doing this for a number of years now with no problems to the fish....

Not QTing and being lucky is not a substitute for QTing. The laws of probability would say you will regret that if you do it often enough. As with most things in the hobby...your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Not QTing and being lucky is not a substitute for QTing. The laws of probability would say you will regret that if you do it often enough. As with most things in the hobby...your choice.
    It is very true....Even thou I dont QT some of the fish I know are from a reliable source, that's why I wouldn't advise doing what I do.

With most things in this hobby, even the best hobbyist aren't perfect.

In regard to dramatic pH differences.... A 12-hour or less cross-country flight does not seem to cause that much of a differential for a single koi or a couple of small ones in a bag. A 24-hour or longer travel time for bags stuffed with 50-100 tosai are another thing. One dealer in the eastern U.S. who suffered significant losses in acclimating such mass imports found pH differentials to be very material. Shipment water could be down to pH 4.5. By adjusting the receiving water to a pH of 5.5, the losses ended. The pH was allowed to rise gradually over a period of several days. This not something to do without taking measurements, understanding your water and monitoring conditions carefully. Like so many things, an idea may be good, but result in even more problems, unless there is a real understanding of how all the pieces and parts fit together.

Tosai
    Thanks all for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    It is very true....Even thou I dont QT some of the fish I know are from a reliable source, that's why I wouldn't advise doing what I do.

With most things in this hobby, even the best hobbyist aren't perfect.
    hmmm....anybody else gonna confess ?.

Nisai
    I didn't see anyone post this, and maybe it's not nessasary but I always cover the bag with a wet towel/rag if your QT is in the outdoors and in the sun.

It seems to me the full sun hitting a plastic clear floating bag with crappy nasty water in it doesnt look confortable to me if I were in there.

David

Quote Originally Posted by moikoi View Post
    hmmm....anybody else gonna confess ?.
    There are alot of hobbyist out there and they know who I am talking about... It doesnt bother me that I dont QT, but then again I know the dealers that well too know what they are treating and if testing has been done. I love the fact that my relationship with my dealers are pretty good, for them to let me:

1. helpout on shipment day
    2. show me the QT treatment
    3. show how to draw blood to send out for testing
    4. show me the results of the testing
    5. tell me when the fish is ready to take home

Plus i rarely take fish from other hobbyist pond, unless I know where they get their fish.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast