Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water condition help - thoughts on what is happening?

Water condition help - thoughts on what is happening?

I visited a pond today, the owner's concern was the colour of the water along with what was on the liner. I am hoping someone here may have some insight as to what may be going on...

This is the pond, approximately 2500 gallons (that's imperial) and 6 feet deep - located in Ontario Canada

Winter cover is still in place as the weather has been unseasonably cold. The filter was disconnected and stored away for winter (tetra canister type filter) along with the submersible pump. A 1500wat deicer and a small air pump with airstone were put in late fall and are still in use. Owner reports she has tested the water a few times over the winter months - amm 0 / nI 0 / nA 0-.5 / 8.5 pH last month, today 8.2 pH. Water temperature a steady 42F(5.5C) all winter. Three water changes have been done since winter shut down, 1 in Dec, 1 in Jan, and 1 in Feb. Sixteen koi ranging from 10" to 16". This is the first winter the koi have been left in the pond, previous winters they had been housed at her pond maintenance guys place indoors.

This is the colour of the water...

reddish-brown. Visibility is only perhaps 15" to 20". I believe she said this has discolouration has only been there for a couple of weeks. Can't see the koi at all, not even sure if they are all alive.
    A couple close ups of the liner...

When I rubbed the 'red stuff' it came off very easily.

There is some green carpet algae at the water level near the two water falls but the rest is as you see in the pictures - pretty much dormant or dead.

At this point I've suggested beginning small water change outs. The ground where the tetra filter would sit is still frozen - the weather is slowly warming and I hope to go back there this week and see if I can't get the filter and pump re-installed/ up and running. Owner plans to upgrade the filter system this spring.

I'd appreciate any comments, ideas as to what has made the pond 'go red'.
    Thank you.

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Don't have any idea why the red. Probably get some help from the pro's around here.

However, I would like to say that the pond, if indeed 2500 gals, sounds to be wayyyy over stocked. And it would be overstocked with a really good filter system, never mind the little pressurized tetra type that's in use.

Anyway, best of luck with the water! Looks funky.

Grant

619 Guy. Member of the Koi Club of San Diego

My thoughts

Was the pond exposed to leaves/ debris before covering? (tanin in water)

Water warmed up - nutrients in water - algae bloom - algae died - (what we call here a "red tide condition"

What ever it is, do water test and water change -out.

Your fish will thank you.

Calling HenryC!!!

Henry: Does this remind you of what KimH had?

Mike... in case HenryC may not see this would you care to share what you know about KimH's pond?

Loma... the information given to me was the pond had a very good clean out when the cover was put in place and filter/pump taken off-line. The owner had gone to the extent of putting netting/screening around the back side of the pergola to stop the evergreen needles from getting into the pond.

The cedar chips occasionally might get blown into the pond through spring/summer/fall but I do not think that is the case considering how the cover has been placed over the ponds perimeter and I was not able to see any chip pieces in the pond.

Thanks for the input thus far, much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Terri: A local club member had her pond re-done with a new surface, but kept the same basic filtration and water source... a well. Shortly afterward, she began to have problems. Her house water came from the same well and all seemed normal in the house, but in the pond she had "brownish stuff" in the water and settling out on the surfaces. Henry visited her pond to check it out. I heard about it, but did not see in person. The problem went on for months until she tried a product that killed most of her fish. She tried various things along the way, but did not get a professional lab to assess her water. I suspected that there was an iron-based compound in her well water that precipitated when mixed with the organics in the pond. I also speculated that the pond work had nothing to do with it, and instead it was related to local drought conditions affecting her well water. Lots of speculation on my part. The solution was adding activated carbon filtration to the water line. Over a couple of weeks, the problem went away. HenryC was instrumental in saving the day. The curious aspect is that the same problem was never experienced in her house, only in the pond. Whatever was/is in the water that was at the root of the problem seems to be removed by the carbon filter. But, the hobbyist has still not gotten a thorough water test done, only a basic "safe to consume" public health department test. So, maybe it was just coincidence that the carbon 'worked'? ... HenryC has better knowledge of the situation and may well correct my recollection.

Mike, thank you, interesting stuff and I hope HenryC will weigh in on this topic at some point.

The source water is city tap water. There are a few labs in the area that can/will do more specific testing... might suggest this to the pond owner.

My thoughts when first seeing the water (and Ian's when he saw the pictures) were that the fish are dead. Have you ever seen a fish that has died and sat in a bag of water (or bowl) for some time? The water turns this red-brown colour and a fine sediment (body fluids?) covers the bottom surface once decomposition begins to take place . The only thing that wasn't present was the smell - that awful smell of dead decay, not even a whiff in the air... but then it's cold, not sure that makes a difference..? Today the air temp was +13C here. I truly hope my first impression is not the case and the koi are alive and well.

I've seen ponds in many different conditions, this however is new to me.

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Jumbo
    Geeze, this almost looks like rust in the water (iron). But how that could happen I have no clue. Have they done any water changes? Doesn't look like tannins, but maybe.

Reminds me of brown algae or bacteria slim the result less sunshine. I would brush off and remove.
    Bob

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by farne230 View Post
    Reminds me of brown algae or bacteria slim the result less sunshine. I would brush off and remove.
    Bob
    I think you are closer...
    looks like an agae or bacteria that grows in the specific climate they have created na d it may be causing alot of DOC/tannins to be released intot he water as it breaksdown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast