Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi just for Ponds?

Fry

Koi just for Ponds?

I'm all new at this and I was just curious for future reference if I would be able to have a few (maybe one to three) Koi in an large 100-125 gallon fish tank and still have them be comfortable? Or are they mainly pond only fish? Also if I can do a fish tanks is it possible to set up a pond-like tank?

Koi are not made to sucessfully grow in an aquarium. They grow to such a large size (36") that a tank is not feasable. Also they are to be seen from above not the side since they're now too pretty sideways.

They produce so much waste that it won't take long b/f the filtration are inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by ERKoi View Post
    I'm all new at this and I was just curious for future reference if I would be able to have a few (maybe one to three) Koi in an large 100-125 gallon fish tank and still have them be comfortable? Or are they mainly pond only fish? Also if I can do a fish tanks is it possible to set up a pond-like tank?
    If you go to a local breeder he will be able to pick out some fish for you that lacked in growth .
    In a old Rinko magazine there was a beeder that specialized in minature koi which he kept in aquaiums .It easy to find koi that will only grow to 12 in I give them away , while if you want a 36in gosanke of half decent quality you are looking at least 20g as a starting point and 100 g is normal .Very few gosanke grow to 36in .
    Regards
    Eugene

Flounder and Eugene are both right. Keeping koi in aquaria is a very specialized aspect of the hobby that receives little attention, most likely because it is seldom successful. There have been a number of articles in the Japanese koi mags about it. A few provide useful advice, but much of what is written seems more geared to creating a market among city dwellers lacking a place to build a pond. I think success in keeping koi in aquaria requires a level of dedication substantially greater than keeping a pond. One has to learn the techniques for 'dwarfing' koi. It is not something for a beginner to undertake.

...So why are little 2" koi sold in aquarium shops? Because people will buy them.

Koi can be kept with great care and experience in speciailized tank systems of about 150 to 300 gallons with special filter systems. You can see lots of these units advertised in Japanese koi magizines. These special tanks bear little similaity to a typical fresh water aquarium and filter setup. Most are built with the tank on top of the filter system to minimize the footprint size. Trickle filters, UV, Ozone, FF and lots of other high tech gear are used to try and maintain good water quailty in a small volume tank. Large daily water changes and filter maintainence are required to be sucessful. Very challenging to be sure.

Because of space issues alot of Japanese Hobbyist have koi in Aquariums with very very over sized filters. I have koi in my 120 gal tank that I want to keep at bonsai and compete later at a show. But to answer your question: Koi can be kept anywhere!!! Always, note that not everyone has the space, but you should know your limitations if expecting growth from them. Welcome to the board!!

Bottom line?

Raising koi in aquaria sounds simple and low tech; in fact, it's extremely difficult and hi tech.

Unless, of course, one doesn't care much about the koi; in which case the simple and low tech approach will inevitably lead to a forgone conclusion.

Then one gets another koi and repeats the cycle. Or builds a pond.