Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nishikigoi and artificial light

from someone who tries to teach students understanding, there are those whose mind grasps and demands technical data to support theory and those who are satisfied to know only that if you bring your koi inside, you have to suppliment the light.

Vogata: As you continue your observations, you are building data from which technical advice can be given. It will be a contribution to koikeeping knowledge that may assist many. Persevere!

Kichi

Well have to agree and confirmed that we have believed for as long as we have been keeping Nishikigoi. Light among other for us sure natural, biological and logical settings for any live also must be guiding for Nishikigoi only distorted by the aspect of water.

Our headache is the morbid need for going from knowing that the sun will sett and rise again to when and the time for it.
    We have no doubt that our lighting is a potential bonus for our Nishikigoi, and have used the four last years finding the type that we can observe (or think we can) gives us the best effect. Then the problem with comparing with what, thatís where our fellow Kichiís are more than welcome to comment or give their thoughts.
    We are intrigued of when we meet the level of whatís needed and even more interesting what will be to much or where will the positive effect slow down Ė halt and reveres to a problem?

We have gone from almost no extra spectrum light to in all fixtures and from original test pond at ~56W / m3 to now 68W / m3 and the next one?? Started this thread.

We are still open for input, thoughts or just rambling from anyone that have an unnatural relation with a coloured carp of any kind.
    Tone - Truls -Petter
    Vogata NI

Thanks Mike

At present tubes with ~spectrum as given in PDF at 58W/m3 (~10.76 square foot) you will have a very nice improvement on your Nishikigoi and a funny extra gear in your biological filter?

Water depít not above 1.5m (1.3-1.5m tested) Distance from fixture to water ~420mm (according to fixtures ďglassĒ profile). We have mounted the so that max (~full) area is ~150mmm above bottom of pond.

Yes heating is an issue, have insulated and shielded it above water with controlled air exchange. Air pumped in to the system (air doom) and forced out through ventilation. This gave us an edge and reduced heating needed due to constant trickle of fresh water.

Stay clear of the normal blue plant and colour enhancing (visual) sections known for the former aquarium freaks. Bin there done that and they cost way more than they gave our Nishikigoi.

Indoor keepers should really add this since its just a marginal cost to get an edge through the winter.
    PS! Go for watertight its really worth it I swear.

Very interesting thread and, as Vogata eluded to earlier, an important part of koi keeping indoors during the winter months. My koi have been kept in the garage since last November and I have noted a change in the intensity of the beni & sumi, especially in the younger koi. At first I thought that it was because of the baking soda as some have suggested, but I have not used any baking soda for the past month as my pH has become stable d/t increased water replacement. Still the beni & sumi continued to weaken and become lighter. So I guess I will be heading to Home Depot to see if I can get some 10,000K lights to see if this will help.

bump....y again

La' Me you may want to look into HO T5 lights.

Thanks Ryan. Will do.

HO (High Output) T5 Fluorescent Lighting links:

http://www.specialty-lights.com/plant-grow-faq3.html
    "T5 lighting is a relatively new light source in the United States that was originally developed as a light source in combination with specialized reflectors for aquarium lighting. Traditional fluorescent T8 & T12 bulbs are simply not powerful enough to light an area more than 8-10" below the bulb. However, with the recent introduction of T5 technology, horticulturists can now reap the many benefits of using Fluorescent Grow Lighting. A typical 54 Watt T5 HO (High Output) bulb produces 5000 lumens which is equivalent to 92.6 lumens per watt." (please note that this is directly quoted from link above).

Ryan, the only thing I worry about HO T5 lighting is that they might not have enough intensity to reach the bottom of my QT, which is 3'9" deep. I need to get algae growth all the way to the bottom of my QT, so this might be an issue. I heard JR said that metal halides, while they use much more wattage, have enough intensity to reach a water depth of 4'. This might be the better choice, woulnd't you think?

What do you guys think about something like this:

Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 4 x 39W - 36 in. - T5 HO | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Will this work to provide enough lighting in an indoor koi pond?

Lam, I've seen your QT, go with the Tek T5 48" with 4 bulbs. Much better quality lights & USA made.

Tek-Light T5 HO Fixture - 4 ft. - 4 Lamp - 54W - 48 in. x 12 in. x 2 1/2 in. | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

These can be hung above your QT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast