Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nishikigoi and artificial light

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Lam, I've seen your QT, go with the Tek T5 48" with 4 bulbs. Much better quality lights & USA made.

Tek-Light T5 HO Fixture - 4 ft. - 4 Lamp - 54W - 48 in. x 12 in. x 2 1/2 in. | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

These can be hung above your QT.
    Thanks Ryan. Hey, do you think that this lighting has enough intensity to reach a water depth of approx 4'? This is the only thing that is preventing me from trying this type of lighting compared to the metal halides that JR is recommending. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Thanks Ryan. Hey, do you think that this lighting has enough intensity to reach a water depth of approx 4'? This is the only thing that is preventing me from trying this type of lighting compared to the metal halides that JR is recommending. Thanks again.

Shouldn't be a problem, remember these are HO lighting.

Btw I have these Tek & really like them. Very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem, remember these are HO lighting.

Btw I have these Tek & really like them. Very well made.
    Thanks Ryan. I just placed an order for one so will see what kind of results I will get.

Are you using them for koi lighting? If so, then how many inches above water surface are you placing them? Also, do you have them running 24/7? Thanks again.

Oyagoi
    well see you ordered but i am using a 48 inch long 4 X 54 w.(2 are actinic) for my reef tank that is 30 inches deep.just starting with it since dec. 1 but will say i grew algae on the bottom(course all better now.)

also know of a koi dealer in Minnesota(probably not allowed to mention name) that started a tank also and they built a 2 X 400 w metal halide for above their 4 ft tank also.

Thanks PSKorf. What's actinic? I went to order the lamps and, let's just say that I am pretty confused since they have so many different options:

Actinic T5 54 watt lamps
    420-460nm T5 54 watt lamps
    620nm T5 54 watt lamps
    10,000K T5 54 watt lamps
    6,000K T5 54 watt lamps
    Colormax T5 54 watt lamps
    10,000K - 720nm+ T5 54 watt lamps
    6,700K T5 54 watt lamps

With this many options, I am tempted to close my eyes and just randomly select four of them. Anyone have any idea which lamps are good for koi lighting? Thanks.

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Thanks PSKorf. What's actinic? I went to order the lamps and, let's just say that I am pretty confused since they have so many different options:

Actinic T5 54 watt lamps
    420-460nm T5 54 watt lamps
    620nm T5 54 watt lamps
    10,000K T5 54 watt lamps
    6,000K T5 54 watt lamps
    Colormax T5 54 watt lamps
    10,000K - 720nm+ T5 54 watt lamps
    6,700K T5 54 watt lamps

With this many options, I am tempted to close my eyes and just randomly select four of them. Anyone have any idea which lamps are good for koi lighting? Thanks.
    no expert on lighting but am learning
    actinic gives salt tanks the "blue light"420 and 460 are # for actinicblue degrees.(so i have 2 of these bulbs on salt tank)

10,000k is the bright light more of the high day sun brightness(have 2 of these also on salt tank)

6700k gives more of a "pink" white light not as bright as 10k (have zero on salt tank.

so this tank i converted from show goldfish i used the 6700k and 10k bulbs for the goldfish.2 each
    my understanding is when closer to sun gives more of a blue ray and can penetrate more but getting farther away from the sun the rays turn more to the pink,red light which in turn lets the land plants grow better.

so any hydroponic lights use more of a pink lighting.so the pink might help more algae growth in QT ???

BUT do not know if you get any natural light just be sure to start 2 bulbs like the 6700k first then later few hours then have 10k go on then reverse also.this way the more dm bulb will turn on first and maybe not startle koi as much as a instant bright
    even if you go metal halide i would have same idea even if just a plain old light bulb in room to simulate the rising of sun instead of going from dark to bright.

kind of like us humans when sleeping in dark then wife comes in and flips the BIG light on.makes ya jump.

again just trying to learn myself
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

I just recently placed 4 X 40 watt aquarium lights above my garage "pond" after observing some color fade on my kohaku. I've noticed a small change already and it's only been 3 weeks. I have the lights set 30" above the pond surface and the koi seem to hang out near the surface beneath them. There is a clear 6 mil poly cover on the pond to keep the heat in but according to the specs on the poly 90% of light comes through. (ordered from a greenhouse manufacturer). I've got the lights on a timer for 12 hours of operation per day.

I'll update later on any other changes or lack thereof...

Grant

Thanks for the input Grant and please keep us posted on any changes, or lack thereof. I will do likewise with the Tek T50 High Output lighting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123