Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Plants to pond

Adding Plants to pond

hi All wanted to put some water hyacinth in ponds, but is afraid of possible parasites on the plants, anyone can recommend the best way to kill parasites if its on plants before putting into pond.

I heard using Potassium permanganet but how much and for how long.

any suggestion would be grateful.

thanks
    An

Quote Originally Posted by An Ly View Post
    hi All wanted to put some water hyacinth in ponds, but is afraid of possible parasites on the plants, anyone can recommend the best way to kill parasites if its on plants before putting into pond.

I heard using Potassium permanganet but how much and for how long.

any suggestion would be grateful.

thanks
    An
    Easiest way is a 10% bleach solution and completely submerge plant .
    Regards
    Eugene

thanks Eugene
    An

Will the bleach kill the un-hatched snail eggs?

If you must...I will tell you now though---they cause alot of mess---.....I use them for spawning---and yank them out afterwards---then it takes me sometimes weeks to get out all the loose roots and dead vegetation.....

Here is the way I was taught to disinfect plants by Tammie with PP.....I PP everything I mail and everything I get.....Not sure if it kills the snail eggs but, after the treatment the eggs are all brown and just slip right off with a paper towel.....
    Lawanna

PP doesn't kill everything. It won't kill leeches. And (maybe my snails are tough!) but, Alum didn't kill my snails. PP kills snails. And bacteria along with other critters. Alum for leeches. Seems the only posts I answer are about snails, leeches and aphids! I'm the Queen of critters! So, for disinfecting plants - I have a bit of experience here, I ship plants every week, and they are inspected by the USDA prior to shipping. So, here goes - Mix 4 oz of PP into 32 oz or water. This becomes your stock solution. Use 1 drop of stock solution in 1 gallon of water to achieve 2ppm. You want 24ppm to disinfect plants. You want to mix the PP stock solution into the container that your plants are going to be in, so I just run the hose until it is all mixed up. CAUTION #1 DO NOT USE THIS STRENGTH OF PP WHEN THERE ARE FISH PRESENT!! You'll kill them for sure! Since PP works on the "organic" material if you leave the dirt on your plants you will use up the PP before it can disinfect anything! You must wash off all of the dirt, and remove any leaves, pads that are history, before you put the plant into the PP. Most plants I leave in over night, but some are more sensitive and I only leave it in a couple of hours. CAUTION #2 - PP WILL STAIN ANYTHING IT TOUCHES! WEAR GLOVES AND OLD CLOTHES! CAUTION #3 - LIKE ALMOST EVERYTHING IN LIFE, PP HAS IT'S DANGERS! WEAR A DUST MASK, AND DON'T WORK WHERE THE WIND CAN BLOW THE PP BACK INTO YOUR FACE! PP should be treated with the same respect you would use while working with any other chemical - read the precautions and don't get cocky.
    Alum will kill leeches (Ucky! I don’t like them!) 1 Tablespoon per 100 gallons. Now, look, I’ve been told that Alum will crash your Ph, so don’t use it in your pond! Use it as a pre-treater. I only found leeches in one of my marginal tanks, the only fish in there were guppies. I way overdosed the tank, and didn’t have a single guppy casualty. But I would never try it in the Koi pond! Tammie

Thanks for the info.
    I added some water plants and even though I did a 20ppm PP soak (weighted the plants down and added an air stone) I ended up with snails in the pond. I only soaked the plants for 20 min and the snail eggs turned brown and I cleaned them off but guess I missed a few.

I leave mine overnight....like I said--I'm really sure if the treatment kills snail eggs...
    Lawanna

MCA
    OK here he goes again...

If a pond is shallow enough for plants, is it deep enough for koi? If it is deep enough for koi, is it too deep for plants?

This goes back to the core of pond design.....is it a koi pond (designed to grow out large riverine carp) or a water garden (designed for plants and possibly small slow fish like goldies). Those are two very different purposes.

OK, I will shut up now.

The plant pond is in addition to the koi pond complete with bottom drain, vortex, mechanical and bio filter. Itís 1000 gal and when I buy a few small koi they have done fine in there until I get time to do a proper quarantine. But in treating the plants in 20ppm PP I introduced snail eggs which I didn't want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adding Plants to pond-lilly-pond.jpg   Adding Plants to pond-just-filled.jpg   Adding Plants to pond-lilies-growing.jpg   Adding Plants to pond-first-bloom.jpg  

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristine View Post
    The plant pond is in addition to the koi pond complete with bottom drain, vortex, mechanical and bio filter. Itís 1000 gal and when I buy a few small koi they have done fine in there until I get time to do a proper quarantine. But in treating the plants in 20ppm PP I introduced snail eggs which I didn't want.
    I am not following you? Is the pictures posted the plant pond or the Koi pond?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast