Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Pond expansion - how should I keep my koi?

Pond expansion - how should I keep my koi?

I am going to be doing some pond expansion, and for a several week period I was thinking of keeping my koi in a temporary show tank.

I have a 6-foot show tank, and I have 6 koi about 20 inches long, 1 koi about 10 inches long, and a 10-inch goldfish. If I bought a proper filtration system, could I keep this many fish in there? Any thoughts on what type of filtration system I coud use with a show tank?

Alternatively, I could borrow, rent, or buy a 2nd show tank and put half the fish in each one?

Any thoughts, advice welcome.

Thanks,
    Rockman
    Rockman

I'd feel more comfortable if they were in bigger digs, but if 1 6'er is all you can come up with you'll need to filter the living #@!! out of the water and do flow through water changes with some serious aeration. Even with 2 6'ers it would be tough with that many fish.
    We've gone down the road you're on, and with 20 fish ranging from 13" - 20" we chugged along in a 6,000 gallon soft side pool and a bakki shower. We have a few dozen tosai in a 6' tank right now also running on a shower/tower and it is marginal to say the least...
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

MCA
    Our club went to hardshell show tanks. In doing so we sold off all of them except a few we loan to members in circumstances like yours. So, get with your club and borrow a tank. Both fish should be OK in two tanks with covers.

A bigger question is filtraiton. You need to arrange for either the exiting filters to service the two tanks or get a new filter and connect to the existing pond (to get the bacteria started). then allow 4--6 weeks for the bacteria colony to grow enough to handle the load.

Fish the fish as little as possible when they are in the tanks. Aerate VERY well. Watch the water parameters like a hawlk!!!
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Our club went to hardshell show tanks. In doing so we sold off all of them except a few we loan to members in circumstances like yours. So, get with your club and borrow a tank. Both fish should be OK in two tanks with covers.

A bigger question is filtraiton. You need to arrange for either the exiting filters to service the two tanks or get a new filter and connect to the existing pond (to get the bacteria started). then allow 4--6 weeks for the bacteria colony to grow enough to handle the load.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Fish the fish as little as possible when they are in the tanks. Aerate VERY well. Watch the water parameters like a hawlk!!!
    I will try not to fish my fish, unless I am hungry for susi! Just kidding, of course I know what you meant, not to feed my fish...but that is going to take a lot of willpower...on MY part!

I sincerely appreciate your comments, I am asking around my local club for a possible loaner tank.

If you want to do it easily and cheaply. Target has a 10 foot metal framed intex pool. It holds 1200gal and comes with a pump. Cost is $100. Walmart has a similar pool...12feet with pump for $100. I have been using the one from target for 2 years....no problems at all. Very similar to a show tank....but larger and cheaper!!!

We picked up a soft side pool at Wallyworld for $100 bucks that holds 1700 gallons and includes a pump. It makes a perfectly serviceable holding tank, and we're also using a 6' hard side show tank (borrowed from our club) for some tosai. Running bakki's on both.