Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Mike M cave in yet and get a Sanke?

Did Mike M cave in yet and get a Sanke?

tic toc...

Grant

Still thinking about it. ... but did get a Showa yesterday. She was my second choice.

There are several very nice Sanke still available. Some of the best in overall quality do not make a splashy impression due to lack of pattern, so folks pass over the photos. When they get harvested in October, people won't think of them as the same fish. When the 7-incher becomes 16", the importance of quality skin and pigment gets proven and the potential will be clear. The unimportance of pattern also becomes clear. Not so clear now with pattern being the easiest characteristic to see in a photo. It may be 6 years to really see what is meant by 'awesome'. I no longer get a new koi without first identifying one in my pond that I will part with. That makes choosing a bit more complicated. I may have to permanently board a couple at NKF.
    Last edited by MikeM; 05-06-2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Would you mind posting a pic of one of the Sanke's and give me your take on it?

I really have trouble with them. Kohaku I find the easiest (which is to say I'm the least wrong about them).

Showa, I'm so far out of the ballpark I don't even try. However, with Sanke I feel I should be a bit closer than I am.

Grant

I keep looking at one sanke..............

I already have three there. But I won`t bring them home for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie1964 View Post
    I keep looking at one sanke..............

I already have three there. But I won`t bring them home for awhile.
    Carrie,

I was under the impression that ALL the fish bought at the May 555 remained in the mud for the summer. Did I need to specify that when I paid? I hope they're not shipping the little guy.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Carrie,

I was under the impression that ALL the fish bought at the May 555 remained in the mud for the summer. Did I need to specify that when I paid? I hope they're not shipping the little guy.

Grant

Grant,

You are correct.they stay. But I have some from last year too!

Ohhhhh, I didn't know we had that option in October....

Which will lead me to a couple new questions if ya don't mind.

Is the "over winter" boarding done in a heated environment? Or do they stay in a mud pond again and just do winter "Au natural"?

How much does it cost; unless that's a private matter between hobbyist and breeder?

Thanks!

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Ohhhhh, I didn't know we had that option in October....

Which will lead me to a couple new questions if ya don't mind.

Is the "over winter" boarding done in a heated environment? Or do they stay in a mud pond again and just do winter "Au natural"?

How much does it cost; unless that's a private matter between hobbyist and breeder?

Thanks!

Grant

Grant,
    All the info is on the website. There ia a small winter keeping fee and they are indoors.

Grant: Maybe this evening I'll have time to do that. I really don't think anyone can go wrong with any of the Sanke tosai (assuming they get the insurance to protect against disaster) as far as value. These tosai are not ones you would ever see imported from Japan... as tosai. The hard part is making a selection from among so many. First, of course, you have to get over the fear factor of looking at tosai that have no 'dazzle' now. If a Sanke tosai was dazzling now, it would be in a $100 and less sale tank.

Say... what about you pick the Sanke you think is the most dull and boring of the group? Then maybe DickB will join with me in sharing some observations about it this evening. [Always learn stuff from Dick!]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Grant: Maybe this evening I'll have time to do that. I really don't think anyone can go wrong with any of the Sanke tosai (assuming they get the insurance to protect against disaster) as far as value. These tosai are not ones you would ever see imported from Japan... as tosai. The hard part is making a selection from among so many. First, of course, you have to get over the fear factor of looking at tosai that have no 'dazzle' now. If a Sanke tosai was dazzling now, it would be in a $100 and less sale tank.

Say... what about you pick the Sanke you think is the most dull and boring of the group? Then maybe DickB will join with me in sharing some observations about it this evening. [Always learn stuff from Dick!]
    Good idea, and for comic relief I'll also include my thoughts...

It'll be a new thread.

Thanks Mike,

Grant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast