Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SuperVerm Dangerous Med??????

I had a terrible experience with supaverm. I lost 3 koi..and they all looked sick. Head down, tail up. Fortunately, most recovered fine. I will stick with prazi from now on.

most of the problems surrounding it's use can be traced back to those doses divided from a bigger supply where the source bottle was not mixed correctly and so some of the vials were
    super strength or lower strength. I've never had any problems since Peter W first showed me how to use it. It is imperative to use fresh product and mixed thoroughly and dosed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Supaverm will burn alot of koi since it's a suspension & depending on your source. It's much more dangerous than Praziquantel.

For flukes I just used 130 grams of prazi for my 13,000 gal pond and no ill effects on the koi. No more flashing and they're happy & eating like crazy as usual. Praziquantel use to be VERY VERY expensive and I could not used it before when prices were EXTRAORDINARILY HIGH but now it's dirt CHEAP compared to what it was before.

A 100 grams dose will treat 10,000g and it only cost me $30 per 100grams when bought in bulk of 1 kg. I got mine 3 days ago w/ a production date of 11/2007 & it won't expire until 11/2011. I split 1/2 of the kilo w/ a friend and will not have any issues w/ using it b/f expiration.
    Big Favor. Can you PM the site you bought the prazi from. thank you.

Lar

Quote Originally Posted by tangigi View Post
    Big Favor. Can you PM the site you bought the prazi from. thank you.

Lar

Done. What's your location Lar?

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Done. What's your location Lar?
    Thanks for the PM. I will have it sent to chicago if I decide to get a kilo.

Lar

Hey, that is a great idea for a club project Michael. Could I get the supplier for a kg as well?

Thanks,
    -steve

Oh... and superverm kills goldfish.

I sent the link to bekko, mikem, koiczar, rookiekoiguy. The reason i did not post it is b/c it's not proper to post a non advertiser here.

I think the credit should be given to MCA who posted the link on another forum about this.

Thanks MCA

Daihonmei
    almost all compounds used for parasite eradication are about producing an adequate effect to kill a small animal but not large enough effect that it will kill the big animals. This is then down to :

correct water volume measurement
    correct concentration of compound
    correct dose for effect 1 and not effect 2
    water conditions!!

some compounds, in my experience, are highly variable based on water softness/hardness, pH, oxygen levels and temperature.

You might also notice that doitsu fish react differently than scaled fish do at certain parameters.
    JR

thanks all for all the input,

the two fish are still head down butt up, been doing water change everyday, i think most if not all that superverm is gone, fish still eats, but still sluggish and not as active, can only pray and maintain water quality, hopefully they recover and nothing as far as organ damage cause by the superverm. Men!! trying to save a buck or two on superverm compare to prazi and i learn my lesson with this

all the water parameter are perfect, increase salt to .3% to stimulate the slim coat.

Any other suggestion is appreciated from anyone who has been through this nightmare.

An

Daihonmei
    You're right to assume they are chemically burned at the level of the most important organ, the gill. Salt is a mixed bag as it is a mild bacteriacide but it is also an irritant. The production of slime coat in this case, with a damaged breathing/gas transfer organ, might not be the best idea. Only you can evaluate this as you can watch them. I would add more aeration however and also try and keep them on the cool side. IF your water is free of chlorine, I'd do a daily small water change ( 5-10%) for a couple of days to keep water cool and organics low. JR

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast