Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SuperVerm Dangerous Med??????

SuperVerm Dangerous Med??????

hi all, did a scope on 2 fish because notice some flashing, notice flukes on slides so did a treatment of superverm according to dosage recommendation of 1ml/100gallon. 3 days later notice 2 of the fish are sluggish, head down tail up, so i bowl them did a scope and no flukes seen, notice their slim coat gone, so i panic and began to do major water change to get rid of the superverm, men what a dangerous meds, first time using and will never use again,

anyone has any bad experience with this med. I thought it was very safe. Now just praying and hoping fish will recover, at least flukes gone hopefully. but fish are not their usual self.

An

Hi An, glad to see that you are posting again. No, I have not had any experience w/SuperVerm but would love to hear what others' feedback is on this medication. Knock on wood, I have not had any of my koi get sick on me, so I have not had the pleasure (or displeasure) of treating any of them. But I am counting the days, and when that day comes, I know that I can rely on fellow KBers to help me out!

Supaverm will burn alot of koi since it's a suspension & depending on your source. It's much more dangerous than Praziquantel.

For flukes I just used 130 grams of prazi for my 13,000 gal pond and no ill effects on the koi. No more flashing and they're happy & eating like crazy as usual. Praziquantel use to be VERY VERY expensive and I could not used it before when prices were EXTRAORDINARILY HIGH but now it's dirt CHEAP compared to what it was before.

A 100 grams dose will treat 10,000g and it only cost me $30 per 100grams when bought in bulk of 1 kg. I got mine 3 days ago w/ a production date of 11/2007 & it won't expire until 11/2011. I split 1/2 of the kilo w/ a friend and will not have any issues w/ using it b/f expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ly View Post
    anyone has any bad experience with this med. I thought it was very safe.
    There is a long and well documented history of fish being burned when using this med.

On the other hand, there are lots of hobbyists who've had no problems and swear by it.

Why the difference?

Have seen several different theories -- which is why I've played it safe and stuck to Prazi.

MCA
    Suggestion: Get with other club members (you are in a club, right?) and order and split a KG of prazi. Relatively inexpensive them. And you can use it on the third day of a FMG treatment such as Profrom C.

I've OD'd on this product before...not good. If you took a closer look at the gills you will see some damage.
    What worked for me was to get the pond to 0.3% salt and to just maintain excellent water. You will have no flukes and if you have secondary gill infections (which the salt will help with) all will be well.

Tategoi
    I'm one of the hobbyist that have used SV on many occassions and in a number of different ponds and I've never seen a brunt fish. Why some have problems with it and other don't, I don't think anyone really knows. There have been times on other ponds where I've had to guess pond volume and have not had a problem with the dose....go figure

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    I always used Superverm in the past with no problems...
    I just used Prazi for the first time....It worked good but is a pain to mix-
    its not very water soluble. I did use it with Proform C toward end of treatment...

RookieKoiGuy Grow out Form

We have been using superverm for around 10 years, we have never had a problem when using it. If you have a good source, and it is mixed correctly, when re-packaged, and it is fresh I have never seen a problem.

Superverm has been brought in from England, for as long as I can remember, how ever I think it has been close to two years now, that it has been unavailable in England, as it was banned there. I don't know for sure if there is any place else that you can get it from besides England. But if that is the only source than I would assume that the product you are using is at least 18 to 24 months old. "that could be the problem" especially if it was not shaken well, before being repackaged and before you used it.

I would still use superverm if I could get my hands on a "fresh" batch. I use prazi now only because that is the only thing left to use. I personally think the powder form is crappy it does not breakdown in water, and I would NEVER use proform C, with it or by it self.

I have used the Hikari liquid line and it does work good, but damn it is expensive. I would not go with a knock off brand, just to many variables.

Prazi is not very soluble in water but it's NOT insoluble. It's not that hard to mix it. I just put the amount needed in a gallon container w/ water and shake it vigorously, this forms a slurry and I pour it into a 5 gal bucket and add more water & stir.

The mixture is then dumped into the pond and there will some parts that will float but it all goes into the skimmer & will be further mixed up but the pump.

No problems.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast