Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Rain question

Rain question

We just had 4 days of non stop rain. First for the winter. Along with the cold front my water dropped from 21 degrees to 19 degrees over two days. This morning I noticed that my two large Yamabuki Ogons have slight pop eye? Parameters still all perfect. I noticed some of the smaller koi give an occasional flash but nothing I would not expect after that much rain.

I'm not really concerned about contamination in the rain as South Africa still has some of the cleanest air in the world but I was just wondering if somebody might have an idea as to the puffy eyes on the ogons.

I do not know.

I have observed at koi shows that an occasional koi will show bulging eyes. Various notions relating to conditions at the show site have been suggested, but since only an isolated fish or two show the condition, I do not give much credence to most ideas I've heard... particularly since tankmates usually do not exhibit anything unusual. It makes me think that individual koi have lesser ability to adapt to changes in their environment, affecting their fluid retention. It has been suggested to add a small amount of salt to the water, but when I have observed this done at shows, no noticeable change has been observed. I have been told that upon being returned to the home pond, the condition corrected itself within a day or two.

Ogons are usually very hardy and adaptable... but also can be quite big and bulky. I am curious whether yours are especially bulky.

Hi Erns,

Mike makes some good points about pop eye. One other observation sometimes seen is pop eye when fish are over fed for their current conditions. With all the rain and potential changes in barametic pressure and falling water temps did you feed as usual or did you reduce or stop feeding during those days?

PS. are you going to the SAKKS national show this weekend. If so please look me up and say hello. I would love to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

Ogons are usually very hardy and adaptable... but also can be quite big and bulky. I am curious whether yours are especially bulky.
    Here you go Mike, shot these tonight. Perhaps I'm a bit too sensitive now that I look at these. They still seem more puffy than normal?

She is 3 years old and 64cm. Not my fastest grower but a good body in my mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain question-ogon1_800x532.jpg   Rain question-ogon2_700x600.jpg   Rain question-ogon3_800x501.jpg   Rain question-ogon4_800x444.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Hi Erns,

Mike makes some good points about pop eye. One other observation sometimes seen is pop eye when fish are over fed for their current conditions. With all the rain and potential changes in barametic pressure and falling water temps did you feed as usual or did you reduce or stop feeding during those days?

PS. are you going to the SAKKS national show this weekend. If so please look me up and say hello. I would love to meet you.
    Well, that might just be it! I did not turn down the autofeeder. I also fed them their treat of oats and honey, so I guess I'm guilty as sin! So we learn.

Not going to the national show. It's about 2 hours of flying from me. I'm thinking about going to Durban. A local bought the Sakai Maruten that won Reserve Grand Champion at the All japan show about two years ago...would love to see her for myself!

Yes, the eyes are bulging. They do not look as bad as some I have seen.

BTW, she looks like an Ogon that will put on some real size. Recently I've been looking at the shape of the heads on large Yamabuki. The rounded shape is not what we are taught to look for in koi. However, many of the large Ogons in the show books have the rounded head shape. Izumiya's Ogons often have it. I cannot say whether the trait is linked to size. It does seem to coincide quite a bit.

Hope she adjusts quickly. Keep us informed on her progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Yes, the eyes are bulging. They do not look as bad as some I have seen.

BTW, she looks like an Ogon that will put on some real size. Recently I've been looking at the shape of the heads on large Yamabuki. The rounded shape is not what we are taught to look for in koi. However, many of the large Ogons in the show books have the rounded head shape. Izumiya's Ogons often have it. I cannot say whether the trait is linked to size. It does seem to coincide quite a bit.

Hope she adjusts quickly. Keep us informed on her progress.
    She is not a very fast grower but she keeps her body. She grew about 9cm this past growing season. Will post her again next year!

Thank you for your reply. She is already looking better today.