Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Last years lesson

Last years lesson

This years teaching koi . Breeder Isa now is Sansi. What do you think? Any future? Quality? Sumi is it going to come up? Beni on pec?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Last years lesson-img_0111.jpg   Last years lesson-img_0119.jpg   Last years lesson-img_0115.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    This years teaching koi . Breeder Isa now is Sansi. What do you think? Any future? Quality? Sumi is it going to come up? Beni on pec?
    Jim,
    Sumi will come up in due time. I have a sekigguchi showa same as that. I'll take a photo of this one on Sunday and post it. It's not the most pleasant kohaku pattern but do you remember the seminar and the photos. Before and after.
    Michael

Is that what they call Kage Sumi?

Seems thin for sansai... male? There are a couple of spots where the sumi seems to have come together. Is it thick and shiny at those spots? Or, does it just look good in photo because over red pigment? If it is good in those areas, then time will take care of the sumi. Another 3 years, perhaps. The issue is the Hi.

If I'm reading the body shape well , this koi will have body depth from the shoulder down as opposed to the barrel chest style.

I always prefer something that takes a while to get there as opposed to something that matures quickly. I believe the sumi fills that bill.....It's gonna be awhile but well worth the wait.
    So in effect your "last year's lesson" continues on into the future Jimbo....

Regarding red in the pec, I tend to not get hung up on the tiny things like that or no 2 cm tail stop....an infraction yes...but you must take it in context to it's other good points and then to the level of it's competition. I turned down a shintaro showa once that had motoguro in only one pec. Luckily I got to follow the koi from nisei on, boy was that a mistake....it kicked @#$%
    at the shows and was always commented on by the judges because of it's quality.

I really can't tell skin quality from the photo well enough to comment on the beni, but kinda share the same concern with Mike.

Neat koi! thanks for sharing....
    Dick Benbow

I expect you'll see a change like this ..... The sumi sitting on top of the red has an easier time of developing into a thick, glossy appearance.

Mike Pfeffer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Last years lesson-hi-showa-change1.jpg   Last years lesson-hi-showa-change2.jpg