Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Showa Grow-out

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    VERY NICE! and nice shaped and sized pectoral fins as well!
    LOL! But by the time Ms. Fatty grows out, I bet we'll wonder if she has any pecs at all from a top view....

Meg
    is that your Drummer Marie?!
    what a great face!

I picked up my showas yesterday and WOW they are beautiful. Thanks’s Ken and Nancy!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    is that your Drummer Marie?!
    what a great face!
    Yep, you know how I am about faces. That be her! Putting up a bunch of pics in my growout thread, and was working on some art of her last night. Just adore that sumi butterfly on her forehead....

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine View Post
    I picked up my showas yesterday and WOW they are beautiful. Thanks’s Ken and Nancy!
    Kristine,
    Yours was the last to be picked up, so everyone has all the growout showa's.

I wish everyone lots of luck growing out there fish. Have lots of fun, I think everyone can learn from all these fish.

PS. Thank you Kristine, for the box of Orange butter cream See's candy. I wonder how everyone knows my favorite candy

Hope you enjoy them Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    I wonder how everyone knows my favorite candy?
    Repitition, repitition, repitition.

"It's a Wonderful Life"

(Sorry for the long one folks, but I think it's worth it.)

For those of you familiar with the 1946 movie, this might interest you. For those who believe in fate, keep reading as well. I brought home #50 from Eastern a week and a half ago. Excited not only to have him to it's new home, but to finally have my pond headed in the right direction (trust me, the last several months have been horrific). He and the other two from Eastern are the first real additions to my shrunken herd.
    Four years ago, I was enjoying a 450 gallon self dug pond. On a whim one day, I stopped at the local animal shelter and picked up a great looking abandoned black lab as a friend to our other lab/rotwieler. My wife named him 'Clarence' since "It's a Wonderful Life" is one of our favorite movies. Clarence is the angel that saves George Bailey in the movie. Our Clarence, by instinct, is a hunting water dog, so of course the pond was always a point of interest for him, especially those little things swimming around in it.
    So here I am, putting #50 in the Q-pond and covering it good with a net, or, so I thought. There was still about a 1" 1/2 inch gap at the pump tube and filter return. I thought nothing of it. Along with showa #50, I also bought a 6" Ochiba and a 6.5" Kikusui (mine and my wife favorite breeds respectively). All three go into the 110 gallon Q-pond after temperature adjustment, no problem, right? Keep reading.
    After about 15 minutes of doing some clean up work inside the house, I return to the big pond, now a 1,100 gallon self built above ground rectangle with a gazebo and all. I am skimming up the orange rinds from the snack I gave my small herd when I brought the new additions home. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Clarence fussing with something next to the Q-pond. For some reason I think nothing of it.
    Suddenly, I hear Clarence 'wimper' and he comes running up to me, with guess who in his mouth, #50!!! I was horrified. Clarence dropped him at my feet immediately and took two steps back and sat down and 'wimpered' again. I thought it was dead. It was dirty and lifeless as it looked like it had been rolling around in the dirt around the Q-pond. I grabbed it, and it barely wiggled its' tail. I ran to the still covered Q-pond and just before I through him back in, I remembered that sometimes to flush a fishes gills you can toss it head first into the water. Well I tossed it head first and a puff of dirt came out of it's gills. Before hitting bottom, it wiggled like a cartoon as if to say, "What the f#@k?!?" and began to swim around like normal. In shock, but normal.
    I was in shock and immediately went after Clarence to scold him. But then I looked around. There was two scales at the pump/filter intake gap. There was dirt on the ledge of the pond in two different places, as well as another couple scales on top of the netting. I turned and looked at Clarence who was now at the edge of the Q-pond looking quite concerned. His snout and paws were dry.
    Here is what I figured out: #50 found the inch and a half gap at the pump/filter tube and hit it perfectly to get himself out of the pond (which was at least a 5 to 6 inch leap. Very impressive!). Now out of the Q-pond, it was in the surrounding dirt wiggling around. Clarence came and found it in the dirt and tried to put it back in the pond, twice! Yep, two different attempts based on dirt and scale residue. When Clarence couldn't get it back in the water, because of the netting still in place, he ran to me for help. He could have easily crushed it in his mouth, but labradors are hunters and can retrieve animals, dead or alive, without a scratch or even a dent. Really unbelievable!!!
    So we have named #50, 'George Bailey', or 'Georgie" for short. Clarence once again saves George. The aftermath is that Georgie is doing fine as if nothing happen and has a couple scales on top of his head missing to show for it (a Harry Potter like mark). He will join the big herd in about a week and a half, no sweat, and of course, the gap has been closed at the pump tube.
    I was excited about being part of this fun contest to see how I would do. I am now more grateful than ever for the little lives we as koi owners get to enjoy and have a bigger appreciation for nature itself. I wish everyone the best of luck the coming year with their showas, their ponds and any other pets you might have. I know for me, Christmas came in July. Cheers all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eastern Showa Grow-out-georgie_071108.jpg  

Awesome story and such a good dog! And one very very lucky fish....
    You need to post this story in your growout journal. What a memory a year from now!

Tomkoi "Tom Faupel's" showa arrived to him on schedule. However after being in his pond for a couple days, he noticed that the Anal fin was deformed. He immediately contacted Eastern Nishikigoi, to let us know, he then sent us a picture of the koi.

He was given a couple choices of how Eastern could remedy the situation. He choose to receive a replacement fish at no additional cost to him. His replacement fish is #24 this fish will be the only one he can enter into the grow out contest. As he will keep his original fish also.

I hope that no one has a problem with this, as he only had around 20 fish left to choose from. He should not be penalized for a defective koi.

Again Ken, at Eastern Nishikigoi hopes you all have a fun time in the contest, and that everyone is able to learn a little more about Ogata showa's development.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast