Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Removing unwanted shunbunkin??

Fry

Removing unwanted shunbunkin??

I have some unwanted goldfish in my koi pond and I want to get them out. Can anyone suggest a method to do this by? My pond is about 7' x 13' x 4' deep. Im having a lot of trouble netting these guys and am wondering if anyone has had success doing this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
    I have some unwanted goldfish in my koi pond and I want to get them out. Can anyone suggest a method to do this by? My pond is about 7' x 13' x 4' deep. Im having a lot of trouble netting these guys and am wondering if anyone has had success doing this. Thanks.

Drain some water out of the pond so they are easier to catch, then I would take out anything that the fish could hide in or around.

Fry
    Since the pond is so deep, I would have to drain quite a bit. Do you think it is a safe thing to do - change about 40% of the water when I have a couple of new koi in the pond? I dont want to disrupt or stress them out too much...What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
    Since the pond is so deep, I would have to drain quite a bit. Do you think it is a safe thing to do - change about 40% of the water when I have a couple of new koi in the pond? I dont want to disrupt or stress them out too much...What do you think?
    How many new koi do you have in the pond and how big?
    How old is the filter of your pond?

Either way I see it is that your going to stress out all the fish in your pond chasing the goldfish around with your net in the pond.

Fry
    3 new koi. One is about 10 inches, the rest are half the size of him if that...My filter is 2 years old and has the capacity to filter a pond almost double the size of mine.

What kind of filter do you have on your pond and how big? Reason why I am asking is, if you do a large change of water it might ruin your biological set of your filter.

Hi Jim
    Welcome to Bito, what is your total fish count, total of koi? total of goldfish?. I agree with Tonio drain the pond down, draining 40% should be less stress on the fish, than the net.

Fry
    Thanks for the help. I have 6 goldfish and 5 koi (all small except the larger one). The filter is a cannister filter, an UltraKlear 2500 (bioballs, foam particulate filter units) with a UV Clarifier.

How about using a seine net to corral the little buggers in a much smaller area so they're easier to catch?