Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I restrict the flow on this pump?

Can I restrict the flow on this pump?

I have a Sequence 1000 series
    5800SEQ23

It pumps 5800 gph. It has a threaded 1.5 inch suction and discharge port. It's a nice heavy duty pump I was fortunate enough to get for a song. Thing is, can only run 2,000 gph through my Answer325. (limit is 2,202 gph)

Can I put a ball valve immediately AFTER the pump in order to reduce flow down to 2,000-2,200 gph? This will then run to a UV, then to a filter falls.

ANy thoughts?

Ethan

use a ball valve.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by gspotmc View Post
    use a ball valve.

Michael

Does it have to be a super high quality one?

I have some from Lowes....

Ethan

The ones from Lowes are fine. Just make sure you restrict after the pump and not before the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    The ones from Lowes are fine. Just make sure you restrict after the pump and not before the pump.

Thanks, Carolinagirl.

Should I start off with it almost all the way closed? I have never restricted flow before. Are we talking maybe half closed?

I don't want to ruin the VMS unit.

restricting the flow after the pump is just like adding head pressure. The pump will cost more to run, but it won't hurt it. Close the valve maybe half way and just watch it to see how well your VMS is working. Let the pump run as unrestricted as the VMS will allow. Any chance of buying a smaller pump? You could probably sell that one on Ebay pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    restricting the flow after the pump is just like adding head pressure. The pump will cost more to run, but it won't hurt it. Close the valve maybe half way and just watch it to see how well your VMS is working. Let the pump run as unrestricted as the VMS will allow. Any chance of buying a smaller pump? You could probably sell that one on Ebay pretty easily.

I just bought it though!

I know it is big. I am thinking of eventually adding a skimmer line directly to it as well. The only issue would be that I wouldn't be able to have any sort of mechanical filter before the water came from the skimmer to the pump (leaf basket, but any smaller particles like food that get through would be pureed, right?). i just am not sure what to do at this point. I like the idea of having the larger pump as I am sure to do some more with the filtration in the next year or two.

Ethan

Is the pump after a vortex? What about diverting some of the flow back to the pond adding a jet or two for more pond circulation. I’m not sure what % of unfiltered water returning to the pond would be safe. If your pump is directly from bottom drain I would not recalculate any of it.
    Adding an additional filter in the near future sounds like a good way to utilize that pumps flow rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine View Post
    Is the pump after a vortex? What about diverting some of the flow back to the pond adding a jet or two for more pond circulation. Iím not sure what % of unfiltered water returning to the pond would be safe. If your pump is directly from bottom drain I would not recalculate any of it.
    Adding an additional filter in the near future sounds like a good way to utilize that pumps flow rate.
    There is an ANSWER 325 unit before it that cannot allow more than 2200 gph through it.

Water passes through a 4 inch bottom drain line to a 55 gallon barrel with the Answer unit, then to a 35 gallon barrel with boiling K1, then to the pump, then to an AquaUV 25 watt, then to the Laguna filter falls.

I like the diverting idea . It would be good for the Koi's body .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast