Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick pls

Nisai

Help me pick pls

have the chance to pick from these five sanke. pls share with me your opinions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me pick pls-01.jpg   Help me pick pls-02.jpg   Help me pick pls-03.jpg   Help me pick pls-04.jpg   Help me pick pls-05.jpg  

Sanke 1

Has a red spot in frontfin. Will also develop alot of sumi in the center so the pattern wouldn't be that balanced

Sanke 2

This sanke has a better body shape then sanke 1 for so far i can tell on the picture. Only it's a shame that maruten is not well centered and not round.

Sanke 3

This koi has a good bodyshape only this koi will also develop alot of sumi. The thing that butters me personally is that one eye has a red mark and the other one not. Good pattern for a big koi.

Sanke 4

This koi has a very well balanced pattern only the sumi quality looks a bit fraggil for so i can see on the picture.

Sanke 5

Not a very good picture the koi seems to have an bended head?
    Futher the beni quality looks good also the shiroji looks not bad sumi pattern is well balanced also this is a pattern for big koi.

Personnaly i would choose between Sanke 3 or Sanke 5 they both have minors so you should choose the best quality fish. Don't look a the pattern that much now but look at the body shape and the overall skinquality/colorquality of the fish.

Hope you get some info out of this

Regards
    Koiboy23

Is this Yi posting? I've been wondering about you and meaning to contact you. I have been concerned the earthquake caused you problems. I hope all is well with you and your family... and your pond, too, of course.

About the koi.... If the koi are from your local breeder in China, I have to say that I am impressed. Are they all female? ...if that matters to you?

I would choose either #3 or #4. Based on the photos alone, I tend toward #3. In person, I might well prefer #4.

#3 appears female to me and has a strong skeletal structure typical of Matsunosuke genetics. I think 'she' will grow large, be scrawny for a few years and then fill out. The beni seems even (although difficult to say for sure from the photo), and wraps sufficiently to give a strong impression as 'she' grows. The sumi quality is good, but cannot say from the photo whether it is great. The drawback for many will be that the beni does not come down onto the forehead more, and the red on 'her' left eye can be a minor distraction. Others will be turned off by her thin appearance now. But, look at the bone structure of 'her' head. Overall, I see her being a fine Sanke in 4 years if given the space to fulfill her potential. [And, I defer to DickB as our resident expert on these genetics!]

#4 might be my first choice if seen in person. What stands out to me is the appearance of the shiroji. 'She' may have the type of translucent skin that will hold and show off the pigments best of all. I have less comfort in my guessing about 'her' future, because I cannot really tell the quality of the sumi and beni from the photo. However, if in person I believed the pigments would develop desirably, I would very much like to have this one to grow.

I do not care for the first two. As to #5, I am concerned about the red pigment and its suitability for a koi that will grow large. If the red holds through several years of growth, it will not be sufficient to give an overall impressive appearance to the fish, IMO.

Always remember, comments based on photos can be helpful in your evaluation of koi, but never are as good as personal observation.
    Last edited by MikeM; 06-24-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo

Nisai
    Thanks Koiboy23 for your frank comments and they are very helpful!
    And thank you Mike for your detailed explanantion as always. BTW, the earthquake has not directly affected me nor my family and friends at all. My part of China has been very safe from the disaster, although we have been having too much rain for the koipond.

These five fish were all born in 2006, all female, and the biggest one is no.5 45cm and the rest are all 40-44 apart from no.4, which is 35cm. Pics were all taken by myself with no flash nor PS. I will hold on to the orgins of these five babies until we have a bit more opinions on them.

Thank you again for your valued comments!

Yi

Nisai
    one more pic and hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me pick pls-dsc02666.jpg  

Yi,

I can offer no good critque but I am drawn to #4................

I think there is a suprise in the orgin

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    Yi,

I can offer no good critque but I am drawn to #4................

I think there is a suprise in the orgin

#4, I did not like it in the first place, but then... You might be right

Hello Yi . . .

I, too, am drawn to #4 because of its translucent shiroji and its simple but elegant pattern.

All in all, a nice crop of 2 year old koi to choose from.

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    I like #4-
    looks very high quality with very nice white and pattern

the sumi has a good chance to develop and the overall balance of pattern is appealing to me. good looking girl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast