Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yerrag

Thread: Hudson Valve Problem

Hudson Valve Problem

I just installed a 1” Hudson Valve. Instead of flowing the water into the pond, it pulsates. The pipes in my house are “hammering” and when the valve is running, my water pulsates.

I called Hudson Valve and they told me I had too much water pressure so I added a pressure reducing valve down to 50 psi. It’s still doing the same thing.

Is this normal or do I have a defective valve? I’m ready to go get a cheap stock tank float like I have on the other pond and send this one back.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    I’m ready to go get a cheap stock tank float like I have on the other pond and send this one back.
    I wouldn't wait - I hate those Hudson valves. Won't even consider installing them anymore. Too many problems like this and we've even gone down to 30psi regulators! BTW, can you put it into the settling chamber or is it in the pond itself?

Mike

It's in the pond itself but I've decided to go get a $12 stock tank float like I have in the other pond and send this one back.

I really thought this would be so much better but it's not. Even without the inside problems, I don't like the way the water pulsates out of this valve.

I just figured out a solution to this. The reason the valve pulsates is because the pond surface is turbulent due to aeration. The pond surface is never still and the wavy motion affects the Hudson valve. A year ago I installed my valve but left it closed, thinking that I'll get back to it. And I did.

I encased the valve in a 4" sanitary pipe fitting, with various adapters, such that I was able to shield the Hudson valve from the turbulence. The pulsation has stopped. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
    ricshaw likes this.

Some pics, though I still have to make a parts breakdown and take more shots:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hudson Valve Problem-image.jpg   Hudson Valve Problem-image.jpg   Hudson Valve Problem-image.jpg