Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: to rock or not?

Tosai

to rock or not?

i just finished building my pond (3800 gal) and was directed to put rock on the bottom of them? Now i keep hearing that i should not have done that? what is the best option? i was told it would act as part of the natural filtering process? i do have two filters and UV as well.

nope....get the rocks out. They trap and hold the fish waste and uneaten food in the same water the fish have to live in. Nasty, filthy conditions. There is nothing good about rocks in the bottom, ever.....except for maybe a water garden. Sorry your installer misled you.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    nope....get the rocks out. They trap and hold the fish waste and uneaten food in the same water the fish have to live in. Nasty, filthy conditions. There is nothing good about rocks in the bottom, ever.....except for maybe a water garden. Sorry your installer misled you.
    My husband and myself actually installed. it turned out beautiful and we love it, however i love my fish and dont want to have something that eventually will hurt them! It is frustrating trying to get the correct information. We had no rock and then i listened to someone telling me to add it and we did! I guess i am scooping! i appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Ditto---and even in a water garden they would be the pitts to clean...given time your liner will get a nice green carpet of algae anyways--I had much rather walk on nice flat bottom when I need to get into the pond instead of trying not to fall down while walking on algae covered rocks...
    Lawanna

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    Ditto---and even in a water garden they would be the pitts to clean...given time your liner will get a nice green carpet of algae anyways--I had much rather walk on nice flat bottom when I need to get into the pond instead of trying not to fall down while walking on algae covered rocks...
    Lawanna
    i have already experienced this problem as well! i sure wish i would have gotten the right advice prior to adding the rock! learning as you go is nice until this happens i do understand the concept and it makes sense. they can make a case for adding it to the pond though! i did quite a bit of research about it and found more people saying add it than not, but now it has been the opposite, the more i talk with actual "Koi" people, i think that is the difference. i have added some beautiful fish and dont want to lose them.

Well, you found us, better late than never!! lol! And good for you for wanting to make the pond healthier for the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by happykoilady View Post
    My husband and myself actually installed. it turned out beautiful and we love it, however i love my fish and dont want to have something that eventually will hurt them! It is frustrating trying to get the correct information. We had no rock and then i listened to someone telling me to add it and we did! I guess i am scooping! i appreciate the advice.
    thats the problem...there are lots of people out there giving advice---whether its good or bad ....I see alot of local so called pond stores advising rocks in the pond, salt in the pond, overstocking, majic potions,no qting, the list goes on and on....
    Lawanna

Meg
    rocks on the bottom are beautiful looking for about 3 weeks....then they are just a filthy mess, a matinience nightmare and somthing for your koi to hurt themselves on. you will be glad you took them out, they will look much nicer around the pond instead of in it.

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    Remove the rocks and add a bottom drain
    Your koi will love you for it.........

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieKoiGuy View Post
    Remove the rocks and add a bottom drain
    Your koi will love you for it.........

at this point i know i can remove the rocks (alot of work but i am sure worth it!) but how would i add a bottom drain at this point? Any other suggestions i can do instead of this? My outsides are complete and very built up, i cannot imagine trying to undo that at this point! Yikes!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast