Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Judging Koi: "On The Day" vs "Quality"

I generally stay away from the benching team, unless they have inexperienced people doing the benching. I remember at one show the bencher lifted my kohaku then dropped the fish in 4inches of water that was in the measuring tank, then proceded to size my fish wrong. At that point I walked way, because I was going to sock that fool in his face!!! Anyways, in general benching is chaos...I wouldn't add more stress to the people doing it by hanging around in that area if your not doing anything.

I too have noticed some tubs measure up against the back wall and some have an inch spacing ( I still put their nose in the corner and deduct an inch....but your right Steve, It does vary from show to show....Having a koi 6 inches difference is really an unfair disadvantage.

As Steve and Troy can testify, I sometimes try to measure a koi on the wrong side of the tub which makes for a lot of speculation as to my ability to measure accurately with a half inch. I get so focuesed on the fish that I don't pay attention to the tub.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by l113892 View Post
    As Steve and Troy can testify, I sometimes try to measure a koi on the wrong side of the tub which makes for a lot of speculation as to my ability to measure accurately with a half inch. I get so focuesed on the fish that I don't pay attention to the tub.
    Been there and done that too! LOL
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Remember Troy, it is the competition on any given day. As for the sizing? Well while your koi shank in 3 weeks, my Kohaku "grew" over 1/2 an inch in that same time frame between those shows.....go figure.

Steve
    Sorry Guys , Not my Koi . This is the reason I didn't speakup when it was benched as size 4 in the later show . And at the time , didn't remember that it was benched before in size 5 .

the main reason for my post was that the ZNA Judge spoke about the quality of the koi . Something that most wouldn't see at first .

Jumbo
    If I may digress back to the original question/topic.....

I'm learning this as well so I speak from some experience and am guilty of brining a fish out too soon....Some of this must also fall to the collector to know their fish. Bring fish to the show that are READY to show. Not a fish that has yet to finish and a fish for the "future". This discussion wouldn't be necessary!!!

Conflicting goals.

Sue- while what you suggest is correct, there are conflicting goals- one's personal goals and the goals of the club to have a successful show- part of which can be demonstrated by having a large number of fish in the show. If I don't think any harm is being done to a fish by bringing the fish to the show- I'll bring 'em.

Mike Pfeffer

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Sorry Guys , Not my Koi . This is the reason I didn't speakup when it was benched as size 4 in the later show . And at the time , didn't remember that it was benched before in size 5 .

the main reason for my post was that the ZNA Judge spoke about the quality of the koi . Something that most wouldn't see at first .
    Same thing happened to me. My male shiro won best size 4 at SKE in may 2007, best size 5 charlotte 2007, and then best size 4 Oralndo 2008. I guess he shrunk during the winter when the water cooled off....I hear shrinkage is a common problem among males.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Same thing happened to me. My male shiro won best size 4 at SKE in may 2007, best size 5 charlotte 2007, and then best size 4 Oralndo 2008. I guess he shrunk during the winter when the water cooled off....I hear shrinkage is a common problem among males.
    If I remember correctly, that Shiro won best in size 4 in Orlando. I benched all 318 Koi myself and like Steve, when they are close I make the effort to fan out the tail to see if the Koi can squeeze into the smaller size. I believe your Shiro with the tail fanned out was 19.99" (maybe 19.98" but I cannot remember the exact size of all 318 Koi). During judging, the Shiro came VERY close to winning Young Champion. It was edged out by Rod's showa that was also just under 20" and had lacquer black sumi.
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by l113892 View Post
    Conflicting goals.

Sue- while what you suggest is correct, there are conflicting goals- one's personal goals and the goals of the club to have a successful show- part of which can be demonstrated by having a large number of fish in the show. If I don't think any harm is being done to a fish by bringing the fish to the show- I'll bring 'em.

Mike Pfeffer
    True, true!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234