Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kin Ki Utsuri

Fry

Kin Ki Utsuri

Hi to you all. Just had a conversation with which koi you would breed together to get a Kin Ki Utsuri?

while I understand the intent of your question, the answer is two of the same color variety. Breeders whether amateur or professional would not want to "re-invent the wheel", but would want to build on an established
    foundation.

Now back to your intent, the explaination is in the name
    Kin ( a metalic ) Ki (yellow) Utsuri

what was difficult in refining this color variety was getting the black to come thru the metalic strong enough as to be appreciated while retaining the strong metalic sheen. ( kind of a ying and yang thing ) We see this difficulty in producing metalic sanke and showa......
    Dick Benbow

Fry
    Dick thanks for the reply. we where not asking how to it now as you are right why reinvent the wheel. what we where discussing was the orgins and how breeders got certain koi. hence how was the first kin ki utsuri done.

thanks again

Here is a picture of mine developing. This one is from BWcreek. It has won 2 medals so far...goood baby!!! There are still a few spots where some white shows through..I am hoping this fills in as the fish grows and deepens.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by kindaishowa View Post
    Hi to you all. Just had a conversation with which koi you would breed together to get a Kin Ki Utsuri?
    Kin Ki Uturi was originally produced by crossbreeding of Ogon x Ki Uturi but nowadays it's a by-product of Kin Showa.

Very interesting topic. I would love to see some current breedings also.

Pic is ours at est. age 22-25 ---she is about 28", not a show koi per se, ...but, still worthy as a docile creature who provides much harmony to our pond. One of our original koi when we got into the hobby in 1994. She has had much patience with us while we learn how to care for her.
    And we weren't always doing it right along the way!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kin Ki Utsuri-bigyellow0807.jpg  

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    Here is a picture of mine developing. This one is from BWcreek. It has won 2 medals so far...goood baby!!! There are still a few spots where some white shows through..I am hoping this fills in as the fish grows and deepens.
    I think the opposite will happen. It looks like, from the first to the second picture, more white is coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    I think the opposite will happen. It looks like, from the first to the second picture, more white is coming in.
    Yeah..It might be the case. I was hoping that as the color deepens, the white spots would become some kind of shade of yellow. It would make things a little more uniform if that happens. It is not as orange as this picture though...more yellow when seen live. I tend to see a lot of this variety, but it is really hard to find a good one.

Very nice, Jan. There is something special about the old gals who age gracefully which goes deeper than their show potential.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Very nice, Jan. There is something special about the old gals who age gracefully which goes deeper than their show potential.
    Hi, Mike. You got it right. And, I am an old gal who could use some tips from her - LOL

Hey, I bet we were hotter here in So. Co. this week than good ole Orlando - try 102 degrees. But no humidity and not good for plants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast