Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ozone

Well, it's too late now. Unit is allready in the mail and on the way.
    I never intended for it to improve my water parameters. These are perfect. I do hope it will improve my redox potencial which will in return keep my babies heathier.

Water is becomming a rare resource where I live. Doing 20 - 30% waterchanges are no longer possible. Electricity has also become a rare resource and we will have a 100% tariff increase in the next 12 months.

So my logic behind the unit...
    Switch off the UV's....I run 165Watts of UV on my pond. The Ozone unit uses 4Watts...
    Increase the redox potencial and get away with one 10% water change a week instead of 3 when the hose ban kicks in. Offcourse I will have to add clay more often to re-mineralise.

The article that convinced me to use O3 as an add on to my system was published in the June 2007 Koi Carp magazine and written by Malcolm Green.

I will keep records of how the unit works in my system and keep you updated.

Daihonmei
    Bummer. Well ozone will absolutely produce a higher ORP artificially, of course. The increase of oxygen in water will also produce a higher ORP. But you want to get your oxygen saturation to that appropriate for temperature. Just as it does no good to make your pond environment 'read' as if it had a natural residual oxidation level, it is not wish to increase your oxygen to/above a super saturation level ( based on temperature). In the end, we are trying to create an environment that works with the internal metabolic rate of the fish. This is a 'dance' between the fish's internal environment and the greater outside environment. You can fool this dance to a degree. That is what we do with a suitable biofilter and water changes. But super saturation, for instance, is an example of how to get ORP higher but also harm a fish. I'm not saying that this unit produces super saturation as I do not know if it does or not? But if it is simply dumping residual oxygen into the water, you can not have more than saturation for temperature. I would suspect that if your organic content is high then ozone and oxygen therapy might help? But then again, you need to see why you have that condition to being with before applying a band-aid.
    To be safe, I would not reintroduce the return under pressure. JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Bummer. Well ozone will absolutely produce a higher ORP artificially, of course. The increase of oxygen in water will also produce a higher ORP. But you want to get your oxygen saturation to that appropriate for temperature. Just as it does no good to make your pond environment 'read' as if it had a natural residual oxidation level, it is not wish to increase your oxygen to/above a super saturation level ( based on temperature). In the end, we are trying to create an environment that works with the internal metabolic rate of the fish. This is a 'dance' between the fish's internal environment and the greater outside environment. You can fool this dance to a degree. That is what we do with a suitable biofilter and water changes. But super saturation, for instance, is an example of how to get ORP higher but also harm a fish. I'm not saying that this unit produces super saturation as I do not know if it does or not? But if it is simply dumping residual oxygen into the water, you can not have more than saturation for temperature. I would suspect that if your organic content is high then ozone and oxygen therapy might help? But then again, you need to see why you have that condition to being with before applying a band-aid.
    To be safe, I would not reintroduce the return under pressure. JR
    At the moment I plan to have the unit before my trickle tower and if an excess of oxygen is produced it will air out through the trickle tower. Pathogens/bacteria will hopefully be zapped as it passes through the O3 system and the good stuff will keep on living happy in my oversized biofilters.

Daihonmei
    Ern, that sounds good. But try and think about the presence of 'pathogens' as a normal part of your pond's environment. But these potential disease causing bacteria are opportunitists. Meaning they need help to become a problem. In mud ponds they are limited due to conditions, predation and competition. In our ponds they are limited due to competition, food supply and healthy koi that won't 'let them in'. So it takes a dynamic to cause a disease. And the dymanic, ironically, can be set up by addition of water chemicals or by tinkering with the stability of a system. Something to think about.
    And I can tell you I had more cases of aeromonas in the old days, when I used chemicals, Ozone, extra UV etc then when I learned how to keep koi and shed all those techniques. Today, I can tell you I have not seen an infection in my pond in 9 plus years. JR

I'm such a cynic. The promotional says the system is designed to prevent 'too much' ozone in the pond....???? ANY ozone in the pond is too much.

Think of ozone as equivalent to chlorine. Would you chlorinate your water, and then dechlorinate to prevent 'too much chlorine' being in the pond? Ozone is just as dangerous to all living things. And, it eats up plastic and liners. It is dangerous stuff. Just not worth the risks.

Hello Erns . . .

Sorry to hear that you've been placed in the difficult position of having to use more and more technology to cope with shrinking resources (i.e., the availability and cost of basics such as water and electricity).

Furthermore, it's a shame that you won't be the only hobbyist to have to deal with these issues.

So while I wish you well, I can't help but express my belief that as one climbs the technology curve (i.e., adding R/O, ozone, etc.) -- and one gets farther and farther away from simple large and frequent water changes -- the farther one falls and the harder one hits when the whizbang gizmos go poof.

Best wishes,
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Daihonmei
    some light reading for those interested in the malfunction of otherwise excellent ozone failsafe systems. ( Murphy's law- if it can happen, it will happen and usually at the worst time) JR

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8FK2VG00&show_article=1

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080415_jj_sharksdiemoodygardens.675ad4bf.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1626966.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/news/102001/29/sharks.shtml

Fuuny, I just seen aa ozone thread from 2005 revived at Disneyland...

JR you have been quoted

Daihonmei
    I'm flattered that my every post is watched so closely! Creeped out a little, but flattered JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    I'm flattered that my every post is watched so closely! Creeped out a little, but flattered JR
    That's what happens when your a superstar!!! Then again that's what people do when all they have is koi.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast