Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Can Koi Be Evacuated In The Event of Wildfires?

Exclamation How Can Koi Be Evacuated In The Event of Wildfires?

It's getting pretty dire up here in northern California with all the wildfires burning to the north, south and east. People are evacuating their homes with whatever they can carry along with their pets and livestock in some areas. In fact, it has become so smoky here where I live that I can't see the foothills--visibility is down to 1/4 mile, and my horses in the pasture have to squint their eyes to keep them from burning from the noxious smoke. I'm staying inside, though it's little help running a swamp cooler to keep it under 100F inside.

In the event I or others that have koi are forced to evacuate, what can be done for our koi? Leave them behind and hope for the best? That just doesn't sit well with me, but I don't know what else can be done. Anyone have any emergency ideas to save people's pond fish if the worst happens?
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    It's getting pretty dire up here in northern California with all the wildfires burning to the north, south and east. People are evacuating their homes with whatever they can carry along with their pets and livestock in some areas. In fact, it has become so smoky here where I live that I can't see the foothills--visibility is down to 1/4 mile, and my horses in the pasture have to squint their eyes to keep them from burning from the noxious smoke. I'm staying inside, though it's little help running a swamp cooler to keep it under 100F inside.

In the event I or others that have koi are forced to evacuate, what can be done for our koi? Leave them behind and hope for the best? That just doesn't sit well with me, but I don't know what else can be done. Anyone have any emergency ideas to save people's pond fish if the worst happens?
    Marie
    I would have my transport tank in the back of my pickup, filled with water and my airpump running. That way all I have to do is catch them and take off..

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    Marie
    I would have my transport tank in the back of my pickup, filled with water and my airpump running. That way all I have to do is catch them and take off..
    But then what? How long can they stay in the transport tank? Certainly not indefinitely... So after you whisk them away, what do you do then?

If I had to evacuate all of my animals, it would be near impossible to take them all. Right now I have 9 draft horses in the pasture, 35 kitties in the colony, two dogs, chickens, ponds and tanks of fish. This is what it looks like here right now:

From this vantage point you can usually see the foothills and Mt. Lassen. Right now, I can hardly see the neighbors across the street and the smoke is so strong that it's making the horses squint their eyes and it's no good to breathe. But unless we go miles and miles away, it can't be escaped. The wind changed this afternoon and within half an hour it got like this, and getting thicker as we speak....

marie
    They could stay in the transport tank for a few days, as long as you have an airpump running and you are able to do small water changes.

If you have a show tank pack that up also. and a submersible pump, and lots of amquel. Once you are out of the "hot area" you could set the show tank up at someones home, and move your babies in there.

Frank and I have all the equipment we would need all stored in our garage, in our show wagon. we can have our tank up in running in 15 minutes water and all.

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    You could always bag the best ones with oxygen/ then take
    them to someone with a big enough QT.

Good Luck/I Hope you make it thru

619 Guy. Member of the Koi Club of San Diego
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieKoiGuy View Post
    You could always bag the best ones with oxygen/ then take
    them to someone with a big enough QT.

Good Luck/I Hope you make it thru

I add to Tom's suggestion that nothing else, if no show tank or transport tank. Bag them and get yourself the heck away if need be. Pick up a kiddie pool when out of harm's way. Stay safe...

I just received word tonight that my koi kichii in spokane valley, washington has been evacuated and may have lost their beautiful new home. power is out so their 30,000 gallon pond will be vulernable for their wonderful collection of matsunosuke bloodline koi. Many kb'ers know or have heard of dan and sharon olson. My 3 year study koi was in their pond
    so I'm kinda anxious on numerous counts.....

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    I just received word tonight that my koi kichii in spokane valley, washington has been evacuated and may have lost their beautiful new home. power is out so their 30,000 gallon pond will be vulernable for their wonderful collection of matsunosuke bloodline koi. Many kb'ers know or have heard of dan and sharon olson. My 3 year study koi was in their pond
    so I'm kinda anxious on numerous counts.....
    There are four homes at least that burned in Dan & Sharon's neighborhood. I have seen pictures of three of them & they were not the Olsons. Usually I can see their home from mine but too smooky to see their house and too dark now. Hopefully I will be able to see there home in the morning. I will let you know. The power outage has me concerned but hopefully Dan had a back up source.
    John S

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    marie
    They could stay in the transport tank for a few days, as long as you have an airpump running and you are able to do small water changes.

If you have a show tank pack that up also. and a submersible pump, and lots of amquel. Once you are out of the "hot area" you could set the show tank up at someones home, and move your babies in there.

Frank and I have all the equipment we would need all stored in our garage, in our show wagon. we can have our tank up in running in 15 minutes water and all.
    Wow. Thanks for the inspiration, Nancy. That's exactly what I could do. I do have a 10' show tank, air pumps and plenty of submersibles. No amquel, since I've been on well water and it hasn't been needed, but it's available in town so that's a plus.
    I'd have to move them in bags, though, and those I do not have. Yet. I do have a 110 gallon poly tank that would fit in the SUV, though....hmmm...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast