Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to look for when buying a koi?

Fry

what to look for when buying a koi?

hi
    before i buy some koi, what should i look for to get a grade koi?
    thank-u

What "grade" of koi are you looking for?

What type?

Rough budget?

Imports or domestic?

What sex?

Are you interested in obtaining fish that are suitable for the environment you've got ready for them? If so we would need all the stats on their future home....

It's a huge question requiring some clarification.

Anyway, a titch more info would be great, and WELCOME to the board.

Grant

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    What "grade" of koi are you looking for?

What type?

Rough budget?

Imports or domestic?

What sex?

Are you interested in obtaining fish that are suitable for the environment you've got ready for them? If so we would need all the stats on their future home....

It's a huge question requiring some clarification.

Anyway, a titch more info would be great, and WELCOME to the board.

Grant
    thanks

well how do u know what grade the koi is? and what is the best grade?
    any type right now i have a 4000 gallon how many can go in that?4.5feet deep,12'X15' roughly
    i do plan on breeding them when they mature
    i live in london ontario and we have a lot of places around that sale koi and just want to know what to look for when buying "pattern,colors" that stuff

sorry for soo many question, im new with koi and pond i just want to get the high quality koi for my pond

-and im planning on add a third pond that roughly be 20'x15'x7-8 feet deep this fall
    thank-u

Quote Originally Posted by justinkoi1 View Post
    thanks

well how do u know what grade the koi is? and what is the best grade? Show grade
    any type right now i have a 4000 gallon how many can go in that?4.5feet deep,12'X15' roughly
    i do plan on breeding them when they mature You do not have a big enough pond...............
    i live in london ontario and we have a lot of places around that sale koi and just want to know what to look for when buying "pattern,colors" that stuff

sorry for soo many question, im new with koi and pond i just want to get the high quality koi for my pond High quality Koi does not necessarily mean you would want to breed them, I would not want my show koi beat up in a spawn............

-and im planning on add a third pond that roughly be 20'x15'x7-8 feet deep this fall
    thank-u

thanks

Koi aren't really "Graded". You'll hear things thrown around like Pond Grade, Premium Grade, Select Grade, AAA, AA etc. For the most part these are meaningless terms. I'll tell you my grading system:

Crap - No real classification of a certain type of Koi. A heinz 57 of the Koi world. (10 bucks or less)
    Mutts - Currently fall into one of the basic types of Koi, but are a poor representation at best. (10 - 20 bucks)
    Show it Quick Fish - A young Koi that currently looks good for its type. Has reasonable colour and confirmation, but will more than likely fall apart in the future and lose whatever it has going for it now. (50 - 1500 bucks)
    Tategoi - A fish that may not look great now, but someone feels it has a future and holds the potential to improve with time, rather than decline. (Lots of bucks)
    Proven Show Fish - A fish that has shown, has matured, and is still kicking butt and taking names. (call your banker, this is gonna get ugly)

If you're new to Koi, I suggest you try for 1 fish per 1000 gals. This will seem meager, and you'll probably be told that its ridiculous by some, however, you get a TON of breathing space for the errors that are likely to occur. If a problem with your water arises you'll have days, not minutes to react and fix. This will be the most difficult challenge for you. Trust me, I've been there. I was a fish buying maniac and had a nightmare of a time trying to keep things even keeled. Single best move you can make here is to stock crazy low.

i do plan on breeding them when they mature

Try and find 4 fish that are pleasing for you to look at. Check for crooked heads/spines, missing/damaged/irregular sized fins, sores, healthy looking, not hanging around the bottom, and not bobbing around the top. I mean, it's up to you if you want to go to a dealer and spend some serious dough on your first Koi, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's tougher than it sounds, but I don't know about your background. If you've got experience with tropical fish, other types of pond fish, this changes the face of things for sure...

sorry for soo many question, im new with koi and pond i just want to get the high quality koi for my pond

No problem. At least you had the common sense to ask before getting in too deep (unlike myself... )

thank-u
    Please feel free to ask more specific questions. You're off to a great start, and it appears like you have a great future pond planned. I wish you success with your new hobby! Careful, it's pretty addicting!

Grant

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    u say my pond isnt big enough
    what is a good size pond to build for breeding?
    thank-u

thanks

Your local dealer can help you on the grades of koi. If your knowledge base is beginner, I would be very careful in what you buy. As with any new pond or hobbiyist, killing a few the first year or two is bound to happen.

Also it would be wise to go to a few dealers and just look around and ask questions, meet a few other hobbiest in your area, they will be good sources for learning about quality koi. Look in your area for a koi club, you will get some great advice and find out some of the better dealers, find out when the next koi show is, and go look and study the koi entered.

any type right now i have a 4000 gallon how many can go in that?4.5feet deep,12'X15' roughlyi do plan on breeding them when they mature

Go buy a few books on koi, there are some excellent books to help teach you what quality is, body comformation and pattern. A few good books to learn from are, Koi the living Jewels, Koi Kichi, Kokugyo.

sorry for soo many question, im new with koi and pond i just want to get the high quality koi for my pond. Take your time, otherwise you could be in for some very expensive lessons..

thank-u
    Welcome to Bito, and remember Rome was not built in a day.. take your time and enjoy the journey

Is this pond just started? How new is it? Any fish in there now?

First off how much are you willing spend? Do you have koi delers in your area?

First, for someone brand new to koi, you certainly are getting into it in a big way. I think you need to slow down, focus on the one pond you have now and learn koikeeping before digging in deeper. If you really intend to get into breeding, keep in mind that it will cost you hundreds of dollars per koi produced, and those koi will likely have a value of mere pennies apiece. Unless you invest literally hundreds of thousands of dollars, and spend a lifetime learning how to select fry for future development, you will lose money on every fish produced.

My advice for a true beginner is much like Nancy's. Get a few koi that you can afford to lose or give away after a year or two, and seek the advice of multiple dealers if you have more than one around. Do not buy the first day you go looking. And, read a good book on koi. All mentioned above are fine. You may find one of them at the public library, or go on-line and all are offered for sale with regularity on Ebay.

When it comes time to buy, start with 4 or 5 about the same size. Whatever you pick, each should be one you think is beautiful. Personally, I think every koi pond needs a Yamabuki.

You mention that there are a number of sources for Koi in your area, but not all are created equal, so start by looking for the right dealer, then for the right Koi.
    How does one define the right dealer you ask???
    The right dealer is not a chain store, does not carry dog and cat food, install ponds with rocks in them, define a "koi pond" as a plastic pre-form, can name Koi varieties without using a "cheat sheet", can tell you who bred the Koi, is HAPPY to share knowledge with you about Koi and Koi keeping, has good quarantine practices and facilities that he will show you, and asks you intelligent questions about your pond, your goals, and your experience BEFORE trying to make the sale.

Any dealer who tells you ANYTHING that contradicts the kind of info you will find on this forum should be avoided. That would be a red flag warning that they aren't knowledgeable enough to deal with high quality fish.

Hopefully Ian and Terri will chime in and offer some guidance on good dealers in your area. They are experienced Canadian Koi Kichi members here.

As to the breeding angle, when your other ponds are finished you'll have the flexibility to play with it on a small scale, but play is about all you should aim for. It is a lot of fun to toy with and can be a great learning experience, but give yourself time to get settled into good Koi keeping first.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast