Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Lifts? I would like to learn more.

MCA
    Also make as small bubbles as practical. Smaller bubbles = more bubble surface area pushing more water....same as for our BD air domes.

Small bubbles are a good thing at the BD or in a lift tube.

Tiny bubbles
    In the wine
    Make me feel happy
    Make me feel fine

Tiny bubbles
    Make me warm all over
    With a feelin' that
    I'm gonna love you till the end of time

So here's to the golden moon
    And here's to the silver sea
    And mostly here's a toast
    To you and me

Tiny bubbles
    Make me warm all over
    With a feelin' that
    I'm gonna love you till the end of time

Hua li'i
    I ka waina
    Au hau'oli
    I ka wa au inu

Hua 'li'i
    Wau haawi hoihoi
    A i'ini nui i ka wa au
    Nana ia oe

Au kuuipo
    I nu ho'omahalo ka'ua
    I ko ka'ua aloha mau loa
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Actually, from the reading I have done, smaller bubbles are not desirable. Aquatic eco says larger bubbles move the water better. Some of the other links I posted also state that. Confusing to me though....I would think smaller is better.

MCA
    Equipment Needed for Air Lift

The hakko site also says to use medium bubbles. I guess the small bubbles just do not have enough lift effect per bubble.....greater surface area...but too small to do serious work.

Another problem with using small bubbles is some sort of diffuser is generally needed and cleaning a difusser that is burried 48" in the ground is pretty difficult. Most people just say tap into the return line with an air line and inject the air directly. I guess the size of the tap would/could dictate the size of the bubbles.

Sansai
    Small bubbles or a diffuser aren't necessary. The deeper you place the injection point, the more water can be moved but it also requires more energy. The larger the pipe diameter the more air it takes to fill the tube and displace water. Multiple smaller tubes are better than one larger tube in general. Air lifts are very much a gravity flow situation. You displace water on one side and cause the tube full of air to "weigh" less than the source column causing flow. The speed of the water upward determines the height out the top which is why shorter lifts work better. Small bubbles aren't necessary to displace water and a larger bubble injector is less likely to clog or build up anything that would close the holes. If you live in an area where there is high alkalinity, small holes will want to clog with an alkaline buildup. You still need to make something you can service!!! Are you trying to placed the airlift inside the last filter(moving bed) or will it be seperate and after?
    I'm making you work at this a little.

It will be separate, after the filter. I thought I'd run a 4" line back to the pond and use it as a header for the multiple smaller lift pipes. Maybe a 4" return line, then four 2" lines tee'd off from that and the air injected at a depth of 48". Hopefully the 150L/min air supply would be enough for those 4 lines? Is it reasonable to expect 875 gph from each lift? What happens if I draw too much from the air lifts....I guess I'd still have a draw down problem in the filters, but no pump to burn up.

Sansai
    Exactly, You'll have to experiment with hole size a little. I'll send you something later.

I am sure Kent has way more experience than I do on this. So I won't add to much. I think most people have seen my QT - Woodyaht's Energy Efficent Air Lift Qt Tank - KoiShack.

I haven't measured the flow I am getting yet, but I am using a AV-50 air pump (39 watts), and with my 2/ 2" lines I am sure my flow is well over 2000gph by looking at it. My no-niche skimmer is also running off the same air pump. So in theory if I wasn't running the skimmer and added a 3rd tube, I might be getting around 3000gph off a 50ltr pump.........

When I was testing different pipe sizes, once I went to a single 3" with the same AV-50 air pump the water flow didn't increase much over the single 2" pipe. So I'd guess that once someone moves up to 3" or larger pipe the efficiency of using air would drop due to having to compensate with a lot larger air pump???????? Kent??????

Another thing is don't plan on running air stones off the same pump, my air lift doesn't create enough back pressure on the pump being I am injecting it wide open into the lifts.

Don't know if that created any thoughts, but it's about all I know on the subject
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    What type of circuit do you want to use it on and how much flow do you need. You girls are really determined. Yeah that's a good word for it. I got about 3600 gph with a 100 lpm Medo pump at about 1.7 amps I believe. Aeration plus water movement with a 3 inch pipe and about 6 inches of lift.

Kent the old Sequence Cimmarons would push that much water at 128watts (what my Cimmarons run at) plus you could add a air pump and be close to your 1.7 amps

Just playing with ya Kent But it crossed my mind

Hmmm....wonder if I can run two ponds with a 160w vortex blower....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast