Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Lifts? I would like to learn more.

Here's a great link I found.

Airlift Pumps in Recirculating Systems

THANKS, KENT!

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Here's a great link I found.

Airlift Pumps in Recirculating Systems

THANKS, KENT!
    lol Sandy....I already posted that one!! Find a new one we can use......

OOPS, I'm sneaking here and there and haven't had time to read the links.

Sansai
    Woodyaht, I was running the air lift and operating an airstone to aerate the media so I was getting both circulation and aeration for the same energy. I'm sure it could be tweaked a little to get more efficiency though.

Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    Woodyaht, I was running the air lift and operating an airstone to aerate the media so I was getting both circulation and aeration for the same energy. I'm sure it could be tweaked a little to get more efficiency though.
    How did ya get enough pressure against the air pump to run the airstone? From my perspective, to get the most GPH and energy effieciency from the system as a whole, a person needs to use as small of a air pump as possible.

Could I ask that maybe the air pump you were using was to big??? Which kept enough pressure in your main air line to power the airstones? Could you have used a half or third sized main air pump for the lift and a 1/4 sized pump for aeration and pinch the energy usage down?????

This AV-50 I am using basically is wide open to the airlifts, there might be 1/2-1psi in the line (whatever pressure it takes to get the air down 30" or so on my set up), not near enough to pressurize a airstone.

Just throwing out food for thought not picking at ya Kent Just being a brain teaser

Not for media aeration, but pond aeration, stones, and domes. I'd try to say that it'd be better to run one pump for the airlfit and one for the aeration, give the system a little redundency if one fails?
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Sansai
    The airlift was much deeper than the airstone. To get the flow I wanted from a three inch pipe a larger pump was required plus the air pumps were about 25 feet from the tanks. I am experimenting with a multiple 2 inch setup inside one tube for better efficiency. I still came out ahead on the energy use over a standard pump but I know I could get more.

Tategoi
    I really enjoy your resolutions Kent. Earlier there was some thought of manifolding several 2" pipes to a 4". I was wondering what the internal vortexes would do to the head. Your thought of installing several 2" tubes inside a larger pipe eliminates the manifold.

Rather than sealing the spaces around the inner pipes to eliminate bypassing, it may be fruitful to consider dropping a line down the larger pipe itself and using it for additional lift.

Daihonmei
    you want:

small bubble when you are trying to aerate ( add oxygen within the column) and also collect DOCs

you want: large bubble when you are trying to move water and this also can increase oxygen saturation another way- the 'old fashion way- by creating turbulance at the surface so that atmospheric exchange takes place ( gases out and gases in)

JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    you want:

small bubble when you are trying to aerate ( add oxygen within the column) and also collect DOCs

you want: large bubble when you are trying to move water and this also can increase oxygen saturation another way- the 'old fashion way- by creating turbulance at the surface so that atmospheric exchange takes place ( gases out and gases in)

JR
    Thanks for posting that JR!

I've kinda always kept my mouth shut when people discuss airstone vs. wide open air delivery to a airlift, as I am by no means a expert. But a simple way to look at it is......... Toss a airstone in the pond and look at the "little" bit of violence it creates on the surface. Toss a 1/2" open air line in the pond and the difference is obvious. The open air line raises the surface of the water way more than the small air bubbles................

The other problem with adding a airstone to a airlift is the blockage of the water column in the lift. People have said to put a tee in the lift and set the airstone inside the tee. Well by my eyes, by the time the air leaves the tee the small air bubbles have mixed and turned themselves into larger bubbles.......... i.e. almost a open air line...........

IMHO, I would say to figure 800-1000gph per 2" dia. lift. Around 15-20ltr of air per 2" lift. Use as small of a airpump as possible for energy effieciency. Hopefully Kent will be be able to back me up with testing????????

The only question I have for Kent, is I remember a fellow saying that Air Pumps need back pressure???????? I've been running this 4 year old AV-50 for I think a year without any back pressure.................. Never changed the guts out of it yet, but I do have spares on hand..........

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. So the current plan is I'll use a 4" return line from the pump as a manifold with four 2" lift lines. The pond will be raised 24", so the air will be injected into the lines 24" below ground for a total of 48". I have several different dolphin air pumps around here....I can experiment with both sizes to see what works best. If I can get 3500 gph from each filter using air lifts, I will be a happy camper indeed!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast