Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Air Lifts? I would like to learn more.

Sansai
    I would agree with woodyaght. No airstone necessary, just a small hole drilled into the side of the tube or maybe one on each side of the tube depending on how much air you want to flow. That's the key, figuring how little air for the most lift possible. Also the hole size in comparison to the flow that the pump is delivering. Holes that are too small will restrict the pump and holes that are too large are going to favor the path to the tube with the least resistance. You might have to place small valves on each line to balance them by closing down only the lines with the most flow until they all flow the same as the one with the most resistance adjusted wide open. Plus the fact that you can't seen inside the tubes when connected to the manifold. You might try flowing the assembly with 90s on the top until you insure a balanced flow and then attach the manifold.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions and information. So the current plan is I'll use a 4" return line from the pump as a manifold with four 2" lift lines. The pond will be raised 24", so the air will be injected into the lines 24" below ground for a total of 48". I have several different dolphin air pumps around here....I can experiment with both sizes to see what works best. If I can get 3500 gph from each filter using air lifts, I will be a happy camper indeed!!
    So did you ever get around to playing with the 2" lifts? I'm thinking of running half of my filter setup with airlifts and would like to ask someone with experience about air hole sizes, expected GPH, required air pump size, etc. I'm also looking at about 48" of total line height so any insight you would have could save me some time in not having to reinvent the wheel.

Jim

Tategoi
    Do a search for Larry Lundsfordís web page; lots of info and good specs on small airlifts.

Airlifts operate on the same principle as any other method of moving water. Change the dynamic head of one body and water will flow toward/away from the other body. The main operator has nothing to do with size of bubble.

Airlifts lower the head in the rising pipe when compared to the water source by displacing water in the pipe with air. The air in the riser at any time will lower the head when compared to the displaced water.

Most people use 3Ē as the injection point so they can operate the air pump at a reasonable flow. Thatís also one of the reasons they avoid diffusers. You can still operate a bottom drain by injecting the air about 3í down from the outlet. Try to design systems so they use relatively equal head pressures. Install a valve to regulate air pressure/flow and you increase the load.

I donít see a problem with multiple air pumps if they are called for. A BD diffuser might need 10í of head while the lift only requires a few feet to fluidize the media. A valve in the filter air supply line would more than double the load needed for the filter.

Air fluidized filters can operate as airlifts by installing water input lines low in the barrel and output lines near the surface. Now thatís a 2fer. (You heard it hear first!) Sinking media will lower the efficiency and floating media will increase it some. The difference in weight of the media together with the water that fills the remaining space within the media will change the weight of the two together. About 10% of the filters head when fluidized.

Sansai
    Air lifts can be very efficient if used properly. Lifting water more than about 6 or 7 inches becomes less efficient than a good pond pump. When used to circulate water or used in conjunction with filters that are gravity flow and at ground level they can be a great tool.
    A Nexus just like any free flowing filter can be easily pump fed or pump after with an air lift if you want. I like placing the air lift pumps inside the filters for easy access and assembly. This also eliminates having to bury an airlift assembly in the ground.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    Do a search for Larry Lundsfordís web page; lots of info and good specs on small airlifts.

Airlifts operate on the same principle as any other method of moving water. Change the dynamic head of one body and water will flow toward/away from the other body. The main operator has nothing to do with size of bubble.

Airlifts lower the head in the rising pipe when compared to the water source by displacing water in the pipe with air. The air in the riser at any time will lower the head when compared to the displaced water.

Most people use 3Ē as the injection point so they can operate the air pump at a reasonable flow. Thatís also one of the reasons they avoid diffusers. You can still operate a bottom drain by injecting the air about 3í down from the outlet. Try to design systems so they use relatively equal head pressures. Install a valve to regulate air pressure/flow and you increase the load.

I donít see a problem with multiple air pumps if they are called for. A BD diffuser might need 10í of head while the lift only requires a few feet to fluidize the media. A valve in the filter air supply line would more than double the load needed for the filter.

Air fluidized filters can operate as airlifts by installing water input lines low in the barrel and output lines near the surface. Now thatís a 2fer. (You heard it hear first!) Sinking media will lower the efficiency and floating media will increase it some. The difference in weight of the media together with the water that fills the remaining space within the media will change the weight of the two together. About 10% of the filters head when fluidized.
    Thanks for the info. I shall look for the web page. My plan has never been to lift the water. Just move it around and through a filter all at the same level. Getting the free 2fers are always a nice plus too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234