Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skippy Filter

Tosai
    Papabear, thanks for that info...that makes perfect sense. Think I'll stick to the top inlet down the the "T".

Tosai
    kntry, thanks much for the pics, that helps much. Your fish are beautiful. Would like to see your pond...do you have a pic?

The pipe standing straight up with the elbow in the first pic is the intake. It goes to the output side of the pump. At the bottom of that pipe is a "T" with a piece of pipe sticking out of each side, forming an upside down "T". There is an elbow on each end where the water comes out, making the water swirl.

I just realized that one of the pics didn't attach showing the pipe at the top of the tank going back to the pond. I'll try to reconstruct the tank tonight and take pics. It's laying in back of my greenhouse so it won't take long.

The pic with the scrubber pads and grate shows the crud that collected in there in less than a month.

The tank with the fish is actually a QT but shows the bottom drain that is in all my stock tanks. Those fish were bought for my sister and I was QT'ing them for her. They're in her pond now.

I can't get the pic of my pond to load here. If you go to this link, the pond is in post #17. Post Your Pond Pics

Christie,

Bottom side of a 3" shower drain........................only way to go...........

Jumbo
    Out of the box (as described on the hopefully someday defunct website) (ribbit) the Skippy filter is a POS.

But there ain't just one way to do it and many smartsy folks have added their touches to make the Skippy a viable, versatile, DIY filter. It is unlikely that a "first edition" will please you as a filter builder for all that long...there are many ways to improve them.

I run a three inch inlet through the old drain location in one of mine and do double two inch valved drains out through the bottom to capitalize on the tank's shape, and really suck out the poo, baby!

Of course, the 100g Rubbermaid tank is ONLY PART of the filtration on a 700g indoor system.
    Mickey the windowman, the world is a very big place.

Aquitori says Keokoi says "even sun shines on dogs ass..." so I say... Buy Ugly Early.

Hey, Honey, where ya been?

Christie, I put together a quick model using misc. parts I had laying around. You'd need to use at least 2" pipe.

Like Mickey (Mitten) said, there are much better ways to use a stock tank than this method but you'd need an air pump and K1 type media.

Bottom of a 300 gallon tank with (3) 2" shower drains.

4" pipe from the stock tank back to the pond.

Model of the standpipe you see sticking out of the top of the tank in post #10. This sits on the bottom of the tank. The water enters the top of the pipe and comes out both sides through the elbows to make the water swirl.

Eggcrate goes over the pipe to separate the media from the bottom. Kinda like an undergravel filter gives a space for crap to collect. You'll need to use a couple of bricks or cut a couple of pieces of pvc for stand to sit the eggcrate on.

I took this skippy version apart and made it into a moving bed. This is much more efficient and easier maintenance. The bottom still has eggcrate in it to keep the media from draining out of the hole when you let water out. Air tubing is attached to the grate and connected to an air pump. If you look closely, you can see the round media floating. The pipe you see has slits cut in it and is connected to the above pipe returning water to the pond.

If you want to take a ride over, let me know and I can show you a better way than the old skippy.

Tosai
    Hey Sandy...thanks for pics!!! I will definitely take a ride over and would love to see your pond...

I assume you have several filters...do you have a 70 or 100 gallon like the Rubbermaid stock tank?

I have a 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank set up as a moving bed on the lily pond. I have another 150 gallon as a collection tank from the shower on the new pond/pool.

This 300 gallon is not being used right now. I had it set up as my QT tank and took it down about 2 months ago. If I need to set it up in a hurry, I still have all the filtration, I just have to slide the pipes back together and borrow media from one of the other ponds.

Fry
    What I've done is went to the Local hardware store and purchades an old / Used Poly barrel 50 gals or so for 30.00 and bought a couple fittings to pass thru the barrel. I have my inlet and outlet coming in and out of the barrel at the center then on the inside rising up and going down. Rather than having inlets and outlets on the bottom and top.

I havnt yet purchased filter materials for the inside but the filter container is up and running waiting on the final filter media to place inside.

The whole thing came in at 120.00 plus whatever the filter media will cost.
    Heres a few pics of my setup.

Sansai
    I know this thread is old, but I was looking for the answer to the original question..... (is there a reason the pump fed water goes over the top and down to the bottom, just to rise back up then out) The answer is YES go up and over! if your pump turns off, or you turn it off, this works like a check valve and your whole filter wont gravity flow out or drain ESPECIALLY all the muck in it back into your pond. If anyone ever reads this and is wondering. LOL -Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12