Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skippy Filter

Tosai

Skippy Filter

Does anyone have knowledge about the Skippy Filter? My husband is putting one together and wants to have the inlet come from the bottom instead of the top, going down, and then have the usual upward flow to the outflow on top. I want it done right and need advice. Is there any reason why the inlet starts at the top, goes down, and up again? Thank you!

You'll have to be a bit more specific. The skippy bunch has several different styles of filters ranging from submerged briefcases stuffed full of mats and a pump to the oval rubbermade stock tanks set up as a waterfall filter. Whay type are you going for?

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    You'll have to be a bit more specific. The skippy bunch has several different styles of filters ranging from submerged briefcases stuffed full of mats and a pump to the oval rubbermade stock tanks set up as a waterfall filter. Whay type are you going for?
    Thanks...I have a 70 gallon Rubbermaid Stock Tank...an oval tank, not submerged stuffed with scrubber type filter media, already has a drain close to the bottom, and going to a waterfall. I think it is the one that is online as the "Bio-Logical" filter. My husband said he thinks the only reason for the inlet pipe to start at the top, go down to a "T" at the bottom and an outlet flow on top is because of the drain, which will be of course in the back to drain out the gunk. As I said, do you think he could put the inlet pipe at the bottom and make another drain.

Most skippy filters have a standpipe with a “T” at the bottom and pipes on each side of the “T” that are 90° elbowed on each end in different directions to force the incoming water to swirl around the stock tank.

The water returns to the pond from either a spillway that you cut into the top side of the tank or by cutting a hole in the top side of the tank and putting pvc pipe back to the pond. You need to put a grating over the bottom pipe to separate the media from the bottom drain. If you’re using boiling/moving media, attach your air tubing to the grating. You’ll have to use a piece of pvc on the inside of the tank with slots or slits cut into for the water return so the media doesn’t flow out of the tank. This inside pipe will attach through the wall of the tank to the pvc spilling back into the pond. If you’re using scrubber pads, pile them on top of the grating but they are a major PITA to clean.

I have pics at home that I can post tonight if you need them.

Tosai

Skippy Filter

Thanks for the info...do you see a problem with him putting the inlet where the bottom drain is and making another bottom drain though? If I am not mistaken, your inlet pvc comes from the top, goes down to the "T", then the water has an upflow direction to the spout on the top. Thanks...hope I am not confusing you! LOL

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Most skippy filters have a standpipe with a “T” at the bottom and pipes on each side of the “T” that are 90° elbowed on each end in different directions to force the incoming water to swirl around the stock tank.

The water returns to the pond from either a spillway that you cut into the top side of the tank or by cutting a hole in the top side of the tank and putting pvc pipe back to the pond. You need to put a grating over the bottom pipe to separate the media from the bottom drain. If you’re using boiling/moving media, attach your air tubing to the grating. You’ll have to use a piece of pvc on the inside of the tank with slots or slits cut into for the water return so the media doesn’t flow out of the tank. This inside pipe will attach through the wall of the tank to the pvc spilling back into the pond. If you’re using scrubber pads, pile them on top of the grating but they are a major PITA to clean.

I have pics at home that I can post tonight if you need them.
    Actually, if not too much trouble would like to see your pics...thanks so much!

I'll post them tonight when I get home. It's no trouble at all.

I don't see why that would not work just fine. And honestly...that crappy side drain they put in those tanks is not nearly good enough for a clean-out drain anyway. Get a 2" shower drain and install it in the bottom. You will be glad you did. And PLEASE don't listen to the people on the skippy site that claim those filters never need cleaning and turn the fish poop into sand. They are SO full of it!! Plan on keeping your filter clean by flushing it at least once a month (or more often if you can). Clean the bio-media with dechlorinated water or pond water.

Good advice on the clean out time. The "never needs cleaning" hype sell the concept well, but stretches the truth a LOT. I've experimented with the "no cleaning" angle just for grins... It ain't pretty

The biggest reason for not putting the inlet and the drain too close to each other is that the crud is constantly re-agitated into the water column and never has the chance to settle out, which makes a mess out of the filter media. Using the pipes to encourage a circular (vortex) motion helps solids to separate and settle better for easier draining at cleanup time.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Here are a few pics:

I'm sorry, I can't find the pics of the inside. Let me look outside and see if I can find the pieces and take more pics.

Bottom Drain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skippy Filter-big-skippy.jpg   Skippy Filter-skippy-filter-lily-pond.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast