Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: just back from a kodama seminar

just back from a kodama seminar

Showa was the topic, and some 3 show tubs filled with showa were used as examples for the study. All were two year olds save two 5 year olds. The striking difference in color and shape was quite dramatic, and helped those in attendance understand the importance of learning what body shape, color development and sumi have to do with this color variety.

I had gone hopeful to learn something i could use in my presentations but
    the fact that Manoru spoke in japanese and son Taro translated added an interesting touch I couldn't accomplish. And the unique understanding of speaking first hand about Koi and The japanese culture wasn't something I'd be pulling off anytime soon either. Still when it came to talking about body shape, color and sumi development, it was nice to see we're all on the same page.

The event was attended free of charge for about 25 customers of a company that doesn't advertise here. The kodamas are back in October for the next one. I hope all will get a chance to go and learn something new if your close enough to Redmond,Washington. earlier this spring they talked on Kohaku so i hope the next one is on sanke
    Last edited by jnorth; 07-20-2008 at 12:18 AM.
    Dick Benbow

Daihonmei
    So what did they suggest was an ideal shape for a two year old koi? Were the examples males or females? JR

of the 5 year olds,they had male and female. The nisei were mixed sexes as well
    and while this showed how bodies changed as they grew in age ,( the difference between the age groups) nothing was spefically pointed out on individual nisei fish regarding their body shape poetntial as they aged. Focus seemed to be on the Softer beni, and where the sumi was showing in place to allow for expectation of appearance later. Probably what was classic yet new information to many was the occurance of heavy sumi on the front or back half of the two year old koi and what possibility there was that the half lacking in sumi would eventually fill in. I think many were
    impressed with the 5 year olds and having difficulty in understanding how and where the sumi would appear in time, so that was much of the question and answer focus after the basic presentation.

Any pixs of the event, Dick? Also, who were the breeders of these showa? Please keep us posted on when and where the next Kodama seminar will be. I might be able to drive up for the next event since it's only 2hrs & 40min from PDX. Looking forward to seeing you again at the NWKG Club show this upcoming weekend.

other than the koi were from Niigata no specific breeders were named. ( I'm sure if you asked them they would tell you, just never came up. )
    One display tank was all of one breeder's and the other another. They did mention that specifically.

To be honest with you I didn't even think to bring the camera. I kinda went just to relax and see someone else make a presentation, sytudy the crowd's response etc.... (sorry)

October the weather should still be decent and I'm hopeful the next variety topic is sanke.

Looking forward to enjoy the great show and people in portland.