Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effects of Sun

Effects of Sun

What effects can/will Sun have on our Koi if they have NO way of getting out of it ?

I have placed a large Bridge over a section of my pond several years ago . During the Heat of the Day , you would guess the pond is empty of fish . They are under the shade of the Bridge .

I've heard of some Hobbiest having Color issues with their Koi . Would Full Sun cause some of these issues or others ?

To much sun light, or a pond that is in direct sun light is not good for koi or ponds, to much of anything is not good i guess.

how bout a koi that never gets expose to sun light always in shades, i heard the color is not that vibrant and it won't grow its full potential.
    Not exactly sure if this is true that koi needs sun light for skin,color etc. may be the experts can weigh on this.

An

My neighbor has a small, overstocked pond that is 2í deep and in full Louisiana sun. A few years ago before he started covering it with shade cloth, the fish looked like their skin was peeling off and they were bloody looking. None of the fish died but it sure looked painful. I may still have pics at home, Iíll check tonight.

Oyagoi
    well i tried to find picture of my koi at Indy show that JR judged.Wife did not even take a picture of our koi.
    so if anyone has one they can post and Jr can comment cause mine are indoors and when we did tank walk arounds.Jr asked if they were kept indoors..Reminds me when were you guys in my ZNA club coming to cut a hole in foundation and build outside pond also

i think koi and the pond needs a few hrs of sunlight,but not the strong late afternoon sun.my pond is shaded it only gets morning sun on part of the deep end from 8:00am til noon.

I have notice this summer that when I turn off the bd aerator during the day the koi will hundle up in deep water (4 rto 5ft) in a small circle, slow movement in the shaded areas if they can find shade.
    Bob

Paul- I don't think the washed out look that many koi have if they are keep inside for too long will show up well on a picture. The fish will look better in a picture than they do in person.

Mike P.

Ours alway look for the shade during the hottest part of the day and it seems to serve them well. One of our club members had a Kohaku and a Sanke that were kept indoors for 2 seasons while constructing a new pond and the hi plates remained solid in size, but looked very faded in color. That was in spite of the fact that he had a very large light suspended above the tank to provide as much natural "type" light as possible.

IF I should ever have the good fortune to have an indoor pond it absolutely will have Solar Tube lights installed above it to provide REAL sunlight to them. No matter how much you spend on the bulbs, artificial light just isn't the same...
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    What effects can/will Sun have on our Koi if they have NO way of getting out of it ?

I've heard of some Hobbiest having Color issues with their Koi . Would Full Sun cause some of these issues or others ?

I think we all agree that having Full Sun with our koi is a No No . But I hope someone can share what they have found or heard that Full Sun can do if Koi are forced to be in it day after day .

TOR
    Nisai
    I live in Thailand and almost thai koi keeper like to have outdoor pond.
    cause we believe the sun shine it will make colour and skin and water surface vibrant and if we have good filter system it will make more good for water quality also. Another thing taht we need to have out door pond in winter the temperature still warm. it's not cold as in japan. We don't worry about snow but we are worry in the rainning season cause the parasite alway come with the rain.

just only small opinion from me. sorry if I wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast