Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Source Water Ammonia

Nisai

Source Water Ammonia

I have been reading the Ammonia levels on my source water and they have been consistently around 1.5 PPM -- Quite high in my opinion.

Just wanted to survey the rest of the folks here to see what level of Ammonia they are seeing in their source water from their Tap.

That is high IMO... very high. My source water has no detectable ammonia.

Nisai
    I agree Mike. This really concerns me. My filters have to work overtime to just get rid of the Ammonia from water changes - not to mention what the fish produce. I think I might be better off reducing the water changes for now until I get a handle on this source water issue.

You must have a LOT of chloramines to have a load like that coming from the tap. I bet the untreated water reeks of bleach odor.
    How is your kh in the pond doing now that things have started to go in the right direction? Doing smaller water changes may be needed to keep the kh healthy while it all gets kicked off, but with less added at a time there would be less of an ammonia bump each time.

Tosai
    I thought mine was high - I'm at about 1 ppm out of the tap right now with all the chloramines they pump in during the summer.

Nisai
    Papabear, I have not tested KH in a couple of weeks (I will do so in the AM and post the numbers), but the PH has been around 7.0 to 7.5. I agree with your advice that much smaller water changes is the way to go here. I have been doing about 10% every 3-4 days. It might be better to do 2-3% daily to reduce the Ammonia load on the filter.

Cheekylemur, I was not aware that they pump any more chloramines in the summer. Is that the case all over the country?

BTW: Is anyone else here on EBMUD (SF Bay Area mainly Oakland, thorugh Concord, CA) water source? If so can you post your numbers?

Tosai
    I don't know how widespread it is - I have Mississippi water, and the locks didn't get opened this spring. Trying to not make the flooding worse. Don't know what else is going on, but the tap water smells swampy all over town. So the water is not its best right now for me.

We have periodic seasonal chlorination spikes depending on ag runoff to the river.

MCA
    While the ammonia in the source may be high....doen't the refill take a long time relative to the amount of water added? For me to replace 1500 hours it takes ~3.5 hours. That is plenty of time to the new water to mix into the existing water (currents from air domes) and circulate through the filters. So all that ammonia does not hit the filter and fish all at once.

You can always use an ammonia binding dechlor such as chloramx or amquel+ when the source has significant ammonia. That should take the edge off the problem.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Nisai
    Actually MCA, when I built the pond I ended up running a 1" pvc line into the pond before the pressure regulator. It is a full pressure line -- 130 PSI --I can fill up 6,000 gallons in about 1.5 to 2 hrs!!

I think for the next few weeks I will follow you advice and slow down the flow when water changing. That way there is more time for the Ammonia to mix in to the rest of the pond!! Thanks.

I do use Clorama-x to treat the water, but it is only after it is added to the pond. .

Something to bear in mind with ammonia binders (most anyway) is the fact that they do not remove ammonia, they merely bind it in a form that does not damage your Koi. It is still present, still show up on most tests, and still must be processed by your filters. Filter stability is what you are aiming at in this situation.