Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Did I get a good deal on this setup?

Did I get a good deal on this setup?

Took the plunge and bought my first made-for-koi-pond filtration equipment, albeit secondhand. For $400, I bought a Fluidart Hydrabead Filter with 2 1/2 cubic feet of beads (half of it brand new). It came exactly the way it is shown here, complete with blower and everything:

Fairly big unit--I'd say about 3ft tall and really heavy. Also included was a Sequence 6000 pump. It also looked like new.

I want to make a retro bottom drain to settlement chamber, to pump, to bead filter, and then on to a bakki before back into the pond. Would this be a good way to go? Or did I just buy a headache waiting to happen?

On up the learning curve I go.....
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

I don't know about the unit itself but the pump is worth more than $400, along with that valve.

MCA
    why bead filter then shower? On our two showers the only prefiltering is two sheets of fiberglass screens in the skimmer box. Seems to work very well.

Suggestion...run skimmer(s) to showers...and BDs via perfilter to beadfilter. Be sure to have be able to bypass the showers in cold weather.

Expanding on MCA's comment, bead filters need to have a mechanical pre-filter to capture algae glarf. No matter what the manufacturer says, without the pre-filter the algae will clog and gunk up the beads something awful. Then, instead of promoting nitrification, the bead filter becomes a source of rotting pollution. A leaf basket is insufficient. (Been there.)

Nisai
    what about just running the bead filter for mechanical and just backwashing the heck out of it with a blower on a regular basis. It may not be the best method but it does work

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    why bead filter then shower? On our two showers the only prefiltering is two sheets of fiberglass screens in the skimmer box. Seems to work very well.

Suggestion...run skimmer(s) to showers...and BDs via perfilter to beadfilter. Be sure to have be able to bypass the showers in cold weather.
    Why the bead filter then shower? No real skimmer yet. Yet....

Thanks for your suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Expanding on MCA's comment, bead filters need to have a mechanical pre-filter to capture algae glarf. No matter what the manufacturer says, without the pre-filter the algae will clog and gunk up the beads something awful. Then, instead of promoting nitrification, the bead filter becomes a source of rotting pollution. A leaf basket is insufficient. (Been there.)
    Thanks the insight, Mike. That's good to know. The algae glarf has been something terrible this year....

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Turtle View Post
    what about just running the bead filter for mechanical and just backwashing the heck out of it with a blower on a regular basis. It may not be the best method but it does work
    I figure I'll be doing a lot backwashing, even with a settlement or mechanical prefilter. The fellow I bought it from said he did backwashes 2-3 times a week since he didn't have any prefiltration either. I want to be able to stock heavily if necessary, so overkill on the filtration is really being thought about. Better to have more than less, even though this pond will be a flow through system like the main pond, but with hopefully enough filtration to handle things if and when I need to treat for something over a period of days or weeks, and need to shut off the flow for a while to do so...

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    I don't know about the unit itself but the pump is worth more than $400, along with that valve.
    No kidding! I did not know that. I got the filter, pump, valve, blower, exhaust hose for dumping the filter away from the pond AND an extra cubic foot of new beads. Couldn't pass it up. Now to learn how to use it all. It even came with manuals....