Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: novice hobbiest in need of help

Tosai

novice hobbiest in need of help

im just wondering if there is something wrong with my newly aquired koi fishes.. is it normal for them to stay at the bottom of the pond? i mean all the time.. are they sick or something? it's already been a week since i bought them... please help me...

Too many variables, we don't know anything about the pond or water parameters. Did you QT?

Xrs
    Happen to me once
    one morning almost all the new koi died
    try to bowl it and check for parasite.
    last time i treat my pond with Dimlin and the koi was find the next day

Chakoi09: New fish in a new pond can be fearful of movement at surface. It can take a couple of weeks for them to adjust. If the pond is new, there can also be all sorts of water issues as it 'cycles'. As Flounder states, you need to provide lots more information before any reliable advice can be given. The one thing I can strongly advise is: Do not add any medications or chemicals to the water (other than dechlorinating fresh water) without first figuring out if you actually have a problem, what the problem is, and being certain you truly know the volume of the pond. Tell us more & you'll get lots of good advice based on the facts you supply.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Chakoi09: New fish in a new pond can be fearful of movement at surface. It can take a couple of weeks for them to adjust. If the pond is new, there can also be all sorts of water issues as it 'cycles'. As Flounder states, you need to provide lots more information before any reliable advice can be given. The one thing I can strongly advise is: Do not add any medications or chemicals to the water (other than dechlorinating fresh water) without first figuring out if you actually have a problem, what the problem is, and being certain you truly know the volume of the pond. Tell us more & you'll get lots of good advice based on the facts you supply.

thanks for the advise.. ill post some dimensions later this week.. thatnks a million

You'll also need to give us info like pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings, is this a new pond and has it cycled.

Good luck with your fish.

Daihonmei
    all good advice.

so first check your chlorine level from the tap. If you smell or taste it that is good enough a test! Use dechlor
    then check ammonia, pH and nitrite
    while at the store you bought the fish, check the stock and watch their behavior carefully for similar signs of depression

find your local koi club and ask for the resident KHV to stop by and scrape your fish for parasites. JR

Great advice from everyone to check if everything is okay with your water and koi. One thing I'd like to add, is that if you bought your fish from a store that displays them in an aquarium (you didn't say what size the fish are), they may be overwhelmed by going into a large body of water. It can be intimidating to a fish used to closer quarters, and will take some time before they feel safe and secure. If this is the case, hovering in a close knit group on the bottom is a sign of fear (i.e. stress to new surroundings).

I quarantine my new fish in aquariums, and if I introduce them to an unpopulated pond, this is exactly the behavior they display, no matter how tame they became in the tanks. Put them in an already established pond with inhabitants that are at ease, and they get over the change to large water within days instead of weeks (or months!) by joining the school.
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Tosai

Talking

i just got back.. my pond is very small compared to you guys.. it merrely 32"x80" and a depth of 2.25 feet.. it has 2 submersible pumps able circulate 600 L/H each with 2 step trickle firters.. just had the water changed and still waiting for the results..its water is from the tap but i let it stayed in a container for almost a week before using it for my fishes..

Sanreaal....
    I think thats my case because the fish that iv aquired is from an aquarium... hehe

If I understand correctly, your pond is at best under 250 gallons (U.S.). You can keep a couple of tosai-sized koi in this volume on a temporary seasonal basis. It is not suitable for koi rearing. Goldfish would be the better choice. You have not given data on your water conditions or the age of the pond. If it is new, it is 'cycling'. If you do not know what that means, you need to read a book on pondkeeping. If it is an established pond, the koi may either be scared because in their lives they have never been so exposed in so little water; or, the water may be overly organic if you are not performing at least weekly water changes.

To keep koi, you really need a larger and deeper pond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast