Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which Matsue kohaku to keep?

Nisai

which Matsue kohaku to keep?

Have the chance to choose from these Nisai (bred in 2007) Matsue Kohaku. All female, size all around 35cm. Pls help me to pick. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails which Matsue kohaku to keep?-1.jpg   which Matsue kohaku to keep?-2.jpg   which Matsue kohaku to keep?-3.jpg   which Matsue kohaku to keep?-4.jpg   which Matsue kohaku to keep?-6.jpg  

Last edited by Brian; 08-04-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling

I think the last one has the best body of the five, as well as teh best pattern. I think as teh fish stretches, you may get a very nice 3 step pattern out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 西湖上 View Post
    Have the chance to choose from these Nisai (bred in 2007) Matuse Kohaku. All female, size all around 35cm. Pls help me to pick. Thanks!
    I like the patterns on the second one (from the left), but it looks like a skinny fish...perhaps with some fattening in the future could be a promising koi.

I'm partial to both the first and the last fish. The rest are hard to compare due to photo quality. Both have a nice conformation going for them--to be safe on pattern, go with the last as the best big fish pattern. But if the fish have stunning shiroji in person, I think I'd pick the first one for that interesting Maruten look....

The third and fourth from the left have areas of messy Beni that cause concern unless viewed in person.

The maruten seems to have very nice shiroji, and it is certainly visible with that pattern. The bare shoulder would interfere with my personal enjoyment.

The second from left is a hidden beauty IMO. (Literally under that glare.) The pattern does not wrap and may not look as good when the fish grows. On the other hand, the modified inazuma type patterning would make her stand out in a collection of Kohaku. But, the thin body does not concern me. The body structure is very good. I think she will fill out as she reaches her length potential, although many will not be patient waiting for it to happen.

The fifth from the left stands out now and will improve. The Beni comes down onto the face too far, but I would not let that deter you.

So, if I was choosing, it would come down to #2 or #5. My selection would be according to my mood of the day and my purpose for the koi. If I was feeling conservative and wanting a fish for showing, I would select #5. If I was feeling adventurous and wanting one for the fun of growing it, I would select #2.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The third and fourth from the left have areas of messy Beni that cause concern unless viewed in person.

The maruten seems to have very nice shiroji, and it is certainly visible with that pattern. The bare shoulder would interfere with my personal enjoyment.

The second from left is a hidden beauty IMO. (Literally under that glare.) The pattern does not wrap and may not look as good when the fish grows. On the other hand, the modified inazuma type patterning would make her stand out in a collection of Kohaku. But, the thin body does not concern me. The body structure is very good. I think she will fill out as she reaches her length potential, although many will not be patient waiting for it to happen.

The fifth from the left stands out now and will improve. The Beni comes down onto the face too far, but I would not let that deter you.

So, if I was choosing, it would come down to #2 or #5. My selection would be according to my mood of the day and my purpose for the koi. If I was feeling conservative and wanting a fish for showing, I would select #5. If I was feeling adventurous and wanting one for the fun of growing it, I would select #2.
    Thanks Mike. I see what you mean about the bare shiroji on #1's shoulders, and thank you for a more critical eye than mine before morning tea. *S* I find myself being quite attracted to fish with outstanding skin and shiroji, and did not take into account the front/back balance of the fish's pattern. I know that an above-lateral-line sparse beni pattern can end up quite small on a large and mature fish, but to my eye, if the shiroji is incredible, the lustre of the skin top notch, and the pattern balanced and pleasing, the smaller hi plates become accents to the beauty of the shiroji ground instead of the shiroji ground being the accent trim for a more beni rich fish. Might not do so well at shows (true ignorance speaking), but I sure love looking at such luminance in my pond...
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Nisai
    Thank you all for your kind comments.
    No 6 from the left was the first one to catch my eyes from the pic. But looking at the real fish in the tank, it seems to me that no. 2 looks more interesting. No 1 has a very good body structure and shiroji as well, although the bare shoulder looks a bit uncertain to me.
    But it is really difficult to pick one as the best from the three and maybe the best solution is to take all three home. Haha!

I agree with MikeM on this. #2 and #5 depending on what you want the fish for, would be the two to consider. In my younger days in the hobby, fish like #1 always caught my eye first. After many years, it would be the last one in this group I would consider. Just my opinion, but I really don't think you'll enjoy it a year and a few inches growth from now.

Mike

You want #2 from the left. Matsue is one of the few that still works with original sensuke bloodline kohaku. If you know anything about this bloodline you want the long skinny one

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    You want #2 from the left. Matsue is one of the few that still works with original sensuke bloodline kohaku. If you know anything about this bloodline you want the long skinny one

This is a very good point!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast