Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Kohaku for Comment

Smile Kohaku for Comment

Been practicing my husbandry skills and learning as I go, and I would like your comments on this Kohaku that I've been bringing along since last spring/summer. She was 6-7" tosai when I got her and she's 14-15" now. Since I see her every day, it's actually hard to recognize the changes for what they are and would like some input on her overall development and quality. Don't worry about my feelers, just give me your honest critique of her in this moment of time and any predictions of her future development.

Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Hi Marie,

Have you got any pictures to show development? Also, do you mean spring/summer of 2008? Or 2007?

I like the fins and the body shape. I'm guessing it's some cartilage showing through on the head?

Nice red color to her, but I would like to see more of a tail stop. Nice work on raising a healthy attractive Kohaku!

Grant

Fry

Kohaku

It is a simple inazuma(lightning pattern). But I have a very good tip to find this new koi called Wakaba it came about 5 years ago and kodama koi farm I will give you an uplink. This is the link.

Kodamakoifarm/KODAMA'S CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Hi Marie,

Have you got any pictures to show development? Also, do you mean spring/summer of 2008? Or 2007?

I like the fins and the body shape. I'm guessing it's some cartilage showing through on the head?

Nice red color to her, but I would like to see more of a tail stop. Nice work on raising a healthy attractive Kohaku!

Grant
    Hi Grant,

I'll dig around in my pics and see if I can find some early ones. I received her in the spring/summer of 2007.

I'm pretty sure that's cartilage showing through on her head. It doesn't seem to be pigment. It's hard to see from other angles and invisible from a rear view.

Yeah, that tail stop is a bother, plus the dot of beni in her tail fin.

Thanks!

Okay, found a couple of when I got her. Not bowl shots--I still don't have a blue bowl.

Wow. I'm glad I looked these up. Check out that tail and dorsal fin--they had waaaay more beni in them back then.

Thanks for asking for early pics, Grant. Now even I can see the difference....

Quote Originally Posted by 808tyler View Post
    It is a simple inazuma(lightning pattern). But I have a very good tip to find this new koi called Wakaba it came about 5 years ago and kodama koi farm I will give you an uplink. This is the link.

Kodamakoifarm/KODAMA'S CHOICE
    Thanks for the comment.

Funny looking koi, the Wakaba. Wish the pics were bigger to get a better look. It should be called a Christmas Koi.

Fry

Wakaba

HI Do you want a pictures of my Wakaba it is a show quality one. If you want more pictures reply back and I will show you where to buy them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kohaku for Comment-dsc01426.jpg  

There is a little lesson in this Kohaku. In the early photo the left side shows individual scales along the insertion touching the dorsal. This is a common sign of potential fading Hi, so much so that based on that photo alone it would be reasonable to pass on the fish. The more recent photo shows that the Hi was not fading, but expanding. The kiwa is improved and the Hi is more solid and even.

When a koi is young, it can require personal knowledge of how offspring of particular Oyagoi develop before one can make an 'educated guess' about the future. I tend to think this is a bit more common to see today than in past years, especially in certain lines of Kohaku and Sanke. I suspect it is tied to breeding for enhanced quality of skin types, with the koi coming from these breedings being slower to mature. The red pigment develops more slowly and continues to expand beyond the age when pigment typically was consolidated in 'olden days'. In another decade, we may need to re-order our thinking considerably.

Good job on this one, Sangreaal.

Quote Originally Posted by 808tyler View Post
    HI Do you want a pictures of my Wakaba it is a show quality one. If you want more pictures reply back and I will show you where to buy them
    Sorry. Not interested in buying a Wakaba.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    There is a little lesson in this Kohaku. In the early photo the left side shows individual scales along the insertion touching the dorsal. This is a common sign of potential fading Hi, so much so that based on that photo alone it would be reasonable to pass on the fish. The more recent photo shows that the Hi was not fading, but expanding. The kiwa is improved and the Hi is more solid and even.

When a koi is young, it can require personal knowledge of how offspring of particular Oyagoi develop before one can make an 'educated guess' about the future. I tend to think this is a bit more common to see today than in past years, especially in certain lines of Kohaku and Sanke. I suspect it is tied to breeding for enhanced quality of skin types, with the koi coming from these breedings being slower to mature. The red pigment develops more slowly and continues to expand beyond the age when pigment typically was consolidated in 'olden days'. In another decade, we may need to re-order our thinking considerably.

Good job on this one, Sangreaal.
    Mike, thank you for seeing and revealing the wonderful lesson in this Kohaku. As usual, your eye is keen to see certain markers that mine can't explain. I'd seen that separation of scales in the early pics as I was choosing which to upload and thought, "Thank God those came together!" but didn't intellectualize why that would be. This helps me considerably to understand the bloodlines behind the fish, and something to remember as I look at others within the same line.

It seems that the beni has been putting on layer after thin layer of color to make it look ever so much deeper than it did as young tosai. Perhaps this is why one can see either bone or cartilage in the center of her forehead--the skin is fine and translucent, slower to mature.

It'll be interesting to see how she'll develop in another year. The breeder does focus myopically on improving skin quality and is known for the extreme lustre in his fish. It's different from others that I have chosen with a more convex scale; the scales are flatter and reflect light differently, but the same quality is there.

Thanks again Mike. I really appreciate your input.

Now with the benefit of the "before" pics, your accomplishment is easier to appreciate.

I was hoping the beni on the tail and on the dorsal was receding, and not fixed, and now it's very clear that's what's happening. In my mind and using my untrained eye, those are the real setbacks to the koi. The pattern isn't very exciting to me, but you can see the quality in the skin and color.

Thanks for sharing Marie. I learned something here!!

Grant