Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Comments on Kohaku

Comments on Kohaku

Hi All, this is my first post on this forum. I bought this Kohaku in May 2006 when i started out in the koi hobby. This koi is now 43cm in length and is a very slow grower compared to some of my other koi. I have no idea what bloodline he is from as i did not know about things like that when i started.

What i would like to know is do you think that the beni will retract further back from the head as it grows? This picture was taken 3 weeks ago, roughly 1 week before our local koi show. What is your general concerns about it?

I have attached another image from May 2007
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Comments on Kohaku-kohaku.jpg  
    Last edited by WayneB; 08-19-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Added an additional image

It does not seem to me that the Hi has retracted on the head over the past year, so I see no reason to be concerned that it will. The photo angle makes it seem a bit stubby, but I've noticed that photos centering on the shoulder can create a misperception that way. I have a feeling that a photo taken with a head-on pose would make it look quite good... a small koi with the look of a mature larger koi. The pattern is OK, but not particularly appealing to me. In the right show, she might take a blue and be considered for a Best in Size. As she ages, I would expect only a little bit more than what you see now.

... just my guesses. We'll see what others think.

Hi MikeM

Do you think that the pattern will seperate into a two step or maybe a three step with time - or am i hoping for to much?

So far i am very happy with the quality of the Hi and the Shiro.

He only took 3rd place in our local show in her size in August as we have a very high standard in our chapter.

And what can you expect from a koi that just cost $14 (R 100). I have some better quality kohakus from good bloodlines but for some reason i really like this one.
    Last edited by WayneB; 08-20-2008 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling

Hmmm.... I don't think a break will occur. The insertion should sharpen ... in another year? There are some lighting issues making an area of the Hi seem different in color, but I doubt that is true in person.

Ah, so this is male. You did say 'he' in your first post. Guess I did not focus on your word use. The head seems to have that nice transparent skin that gives a delicate 'feel' to the fish without the yellow tone I'd expect in a male this age, and there is a glistening in the scales within the Hi ground that is not gin rin, but adds to the impression. You certainly got a bargain for $14. Since breeders offload males other than a very rare few they think have a chance to become oyagoi, there is a bit better chance of finding a little gem among them. I think you did. Your challenge is going to be to maintain him over the next 2 years without the pigments losing the lustre and becoming 'flat'. The genes are working against you. But, your price of admission was very fair.

My concern would be the future shape of the head; the head shape is not very attractive right now but that could change. The pattern is not going to change and you won't do well in shows based on that pattern. The best hope for this fish was killer shiro and killer beni in his early years maybe up through size 4 or 5 but not so competitive beyond that. I've owned a male kohaku with a boring pattern and he won best in size 4 and a tategoi award before I got rid of him.

Mike Pfeffer
    Mike Pfeffer
    Northern Midwest ZNA show
    June 19 - 20, 2010
    Season's Garden Nursery
    Fishers, IN

I like the overall quality of it, but as already noted by others the pattern will hold it down in the show ring. The pattern looks very stable so I think your pipe dream of a break into multiple steps is very unlikely. The skin in the first photo looked very translucent and the way the shiro and beni have both developed seems to bear out that quality. All in all it is an attractive fish and I only WISH my first had looked that nice

Thanks Guys, The koi is a male as far as i know. I have a tendency to refer to all my koi in the female form.

At the momment i would go as far as to say that from all my kohakus this one has the best shiro and beni so far but i asume that it is because he is male, the beni of my other kohakus are more orange even with my one female kohaku at the age of 4.

It took me 45 minutes to select this koi out of 200+ cheap kohakus.

The pattern is lacking as you guys said and i was hoping for a brake in the beni towards the rear. The bold head is also not a good thing in my books...but the skin quality and colour seems to balance things out a bit.

Please explain what is wrong with the shape of the head? Is it to sharp?

And why is this male growing so slowly? I have a Sakuma Kohaku that has grown from 24cm to 53cm in one year...and here is this male still sitting at 43cm at the age of 3.

Genes, Genes, Genes.

I have fish as old or older that have grown far better and others no more than yours even though they are in the same pond getting the same food. What they inherit for growth potential will determine what they are capable of no matter what you may do. We have fish from the same spawn last year that range in size from 6" to 15" that have always been grown together from day one.
    As to the head shape, it does appear slightly pointed and if you look at the position of the eyes in relation to the mouth and gill plate they are a bit forward and narrowly placed. That can be an indicator of modest growth potential according to those more savvy than I.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma