Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The influence this board can have

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop View Post
    Cool. Resume will be enroute shortly.

Just have to decide between sending Keokoi's or NancyM's.
    Hey Don,

Please send Keokoi's resume, as I don't roll around in rock gardens.

Oh and welcome to Bito John, at least we now know why this thread was started. It looks like you have a great PR man.

Nisai

More than Rock Gardens

Hi Nancy,

If you would take a few minutes and look over our web site - you'll see that we are not about "Rock Gardens". We are about choice and exposing the customer to all types of ponds and water features. In fact, we have more "rockless" Koi Ponds at our facility than ponds with rock. We also have ponds that are combinations of both types. The purpose is to show customers the differences - and to educate them as to why a rock & gravel pond isn't the best choice for Koi. The focus is on education.

All of you here know that rock & gravel isn't good for Koi - but, because the watergardening market has been heavily marketed to lawn mowing companies that set up booths at Home Shows by manufactures that don't give a hoot about Koi - the general public doesn't know that. Our format actually shows people the differences. We educate about the maitenance requirements, as well as the effects on the Koi. On these chat rooms - many people write about what's best for Koi, but the general public can't "see" what you're talking about - and more importantly, they don't spend much time on these boards.

We are the only company, that I know of, that is actively trying to spread what you all already know to the general public in a friendly, non-confrontational, visual way. We hear you, and we're the only company actually showing the public what you're saying.

Nancy, while we do have some rock gardens at our place, that's not all we have. You may not like red cars, and a dealer may sell red cars - that doesn't mean the dealer doesn't have other colors available. It doesn't me that the dealers is a bad guy for selling red cars to those that want them.

I'd still love to have you come out for a visit - and speak at a seminar or two. You can even talk about the evils of rock & gravel with Koi. You can do it standing between a Koi Pond and a watergarden pond. Where else can you do that?

I have been up-front and honest with you folks from the beginning about what we're doing. I value your opinions. Russell Water, Gardens, & Koi is your chance to have a possitive effect on the industry. We have a platform for you all to stand on like nowhere else. Your imput has a direct influence on what we do. It will also have an effect on products we develope.

We are in the process of changing our name - it'll take some time to completely remove our old name from every photo, page, and paragraph on our web site. We're removing the word "watergardens" from our name because of the negative connotation it has. We've out grown the word. Watergardens are a very small percentage of our business now.

Russell: The name "Russell" is the name of our Mascot - Russell the Friendly Koi. He's our "Tony the Tiger", or "Charlie the Tuna". In the business world, its a brand icon.

Water: "Water" encompases everything water related from Koi Ponds, to watergardens and all ponds in between. Golf Course Pond & Lake Fountains & Aerators, to Table Top Fountains. All equipment, plumbing, glues, sealants, water treatments, etc. Anything that pushes or pulls non-chlorinated water.

Gardens: "Gardens" referes to our flower gardens that encompass all our ponds and water features. The gardens are created in the likeness of the finest destination gardens anywhere in the world - with thousands of flowers. The Butchart Gardens in Victoria B.C. is our primary inspiration. The gardens make our place a destination - not just a store. Many people stop by on their lunch hours just to relax a bit.

Koi: "Koi", that needs no explanation.

No, we do not have a PR man, PR department, or a hired PR company. You have me. I'm trying to grow a company by giving you all a voice to the general public that you, and they, never had before.

As hobbiests, you may not like the business aspect of the hobby. I understand. But we all need to realize that the hobby wouldn't be possible without the business, and the business wouldn't be possible without the hobby. The two are married, and the key to a successful marriage is communication - I know, my wife of 19 years told me.

Sincerely,
    John Russell
    Russell Water, Gardens, & Koi
    www.russellwatergardens.com

p.s. Don, please share with me your thoughts on the Kodamas. If there is a problem, the only way it can be rectified is if we know about it. Myself, Taro, and Mamoru Kodama - as well as the Niigata breeders we represent - are always interested in how we can improve service, product, and relationships with highly regarded people like you.

We are the only company, that I know of, that is actively trying to spread what you all already know to the general public in a friendly, non-confrontational, visual way. We hear you, and we're the only company actually showing the public what you're saying.
    Damn... I wonder then what I've been doing for the last 12 years???

Bill
    Mystic Koi and Water Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by MysticKoi View Post
    Damn... I wonder then what I've been doing for the last 12 years???

Bill
    Mystic Koi and Water Gardens
    LMAO
    Bill, apparently you have been doing it all wrong for 12 years...

Nisai

My Apologies

I apologise Bill.

To be clear, I did say "that I know of".

From looking at your web site, you are correct - and I appreciate what you're doing. Your name on this board omits the word "watergardens" - so it gave me the wrong impression. Again, I apologise.

There is a difference between our respective companies in that we are manufactures. That doesn't really matter when it comes to the message you and I are trying to get across to the consumers, but it does matter in terms of the messages product manufactures are conveying to the consumers. For example, you sell Savio products on your web site, but Savio, as a manufacturer, isn't trying to do what you or I are trying to do. Not a negative comment on Savio - just backing up my original quote from a manufacturers point of view.

Sincerely,
    John Russell

Quote Originally Posted by John Russell View Post
    I apologise Bill.

To be clear, I did say "that I know of".

From looking at your web site, you are correct - and I appreciate what you're doing. Your name on this board omits the word "watergardens" - so it gave me the wrong impression. Again, I apologise.

There is a difference between our respective companies in that we are manufactures. That doesn't really matter when it comes to the message you and I are trying to get across to the consumers, but it does matter in terms of the messages product manufactures are conveying to the consumers. For example, you sell Savio products on your web site, but Savio, as a manufacturer, isn't trying to do what you or I are trying to do. Not a negative comment on Savio - just backing up my original quote from a manufacturers point of view.

Sincerely,
    John Russell
    John
    Looking at your website, it is very easy to see that you are not a "true Koi" person, as Bill is. Mystic Koi & Water Gardens is one of the top koi dealers in California, and the West coast.

You are a good salesman and marketer, but nothing more.

Sorry, but I don't speak at watergarden Warehouse Tool Store centers.

John,

This is the same design for all the sizes of the "koi" pond kits you offer. The largest pipe is 3" for the bottom drain and 2" for the rest on a 20,000 gallon pond. The bottom drain is situated against a side of the pond. It's aerated, but appears to be just below the mid-level take up. There is no mention of settlement tanks, seives, or biological filtration.

Anybody want to tell him why this isn't a good koi pond design?

MCA
    Like with most ponds....there are things that can be improved....

There seems to not be much empahsis on creating near saturation DO levels. A presurized chamber such as a bead filter is a O2 sink. I don't see any waterfall, fluid bed, shower, or TT to try to bring up DO. Without high DO neither the bacteria nor the koi will thrive.

The BD being on the side sortta ignores the 360 degree effect of the donut current cause by the air dome. The drawing implies that the surrface current will put stuff to the skimmer. That is true if the skimmer if the furthest point from where the column of air hits the surface. In the pond is a square or rectangle....the best place for skimmers can be in the corners. Of course this cross sectional view does not lend itself to trying to show skimmers in corners.

IMHO the bead filter should be on the BD circuit. Having a BD connected to a skimmer is something I would never do. No way to balance the flow. I would want a totally seperate circuit for the BD versus the skimmer. Put the BD and bead filter together (ideally using a sieve or even simple vortex). And put the skimmer on a bakki shower with winter bypass. Put the UV on the skimmer circuit and crank up the flow...expecially if there is a shower in the circuit.

All in all I hope this is general advertising artwork and not meant to be taken too literally as a specifc koi pond design. But trust me, it is a better design that some of the ponds I have seen!!!
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    John,

This is the same design for all the sizes of the "koi" pond kits you offer. The largest pipe is 3" for the bottom drain and 2" for the rest on a 20,000 gallon pond. The bottom drain is situated against a side of the pond. It's aerated, but appears to be just below the mid-level take up. There is no mention of settlement tanks, seives, or biological filtration.

Anybody want to tell him why this isn't a good koi pond design?

John
    Please explain to all us "True koi hobbyist" how this pond design, is a good enviroment for our prize winning fish? As I said earlier you are a good talker, but talk is cheap, and bu11chit walks.

John,

No need to apologize. Its all good!

Bill

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast