Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The influence this board can have

The influence this board can have

I think it's been pretty close to Two years now That John Russell was on our chat line. He had opened a watergarden store and was posting about it and created quite a busy thread here for awhile. The conversations swirled around the difference between a koi pond and a water feature. Later it was learned that Kodama had affiliated with him to provide Koi from Japan to compliment his hardgoods and folks here seemed quite surprised by that as well. I even volunteered if you remember to run down and visit his facility for the board and give a report.

I ramble on about it for those that remember because you would not believe the changes since the pot first boiled. Did we have an influence on his thinking? I think we may have.Today besides beautiful japanese koi, you can stroll thru the gardens that display ponds, labeled for what they are, including serious Koi ponds. About every other month The kodamas come and put on an informative seminar on Koi. It's become a positive resourse for the seattle area Koi Keepers.

I think the transistion even shows in the name which has now been changed to reflect the new direction, Russell Water, Gardens and Koi.

Just thought you'd like to know
    Dick Benbow

Nifty.

...It really was quite a discussion, and got a bit heated at times. There will always be folks who want to keep koi in a watergarden. So be it. The lesser tosai might as well have a home instead of being tossed in the sun to die. As long as the pond builder is not misleading the consumer, I've no problem with whatever gets built. Having been open about the differences in pond purposes, the pond builder can be relied upon to move those who become more interested in koi than waterlillies toward their goal.

MCA
    It is indeed an epiphany when folks realize the difference between types of ponds and start asking "Should I..." instead of "Can I...".

That is good to hear, and to tell you the truth I'm not really surprised.
    Both in his posts and a few private communications we had I got the distinct impression John had done a lot of pretty solid research and the Kodama's influence no doubt helped things along.
    I hope he is able to do well enough in his franchising dreams to spread a better influence on the WG crowd around a bit...

Daihonmei
    so when can we plan on getting that apology? Or should we just say " I told you so" ! JR

Nisai

Apology and thank you

Hello all,

Thank you all. Yes, you and the Kodama's are a great influence on what we're doing up here in the Great Northwest. I do apologize to anyone and everyone that may have gotten the wrong impression of what we're doing.

Our mission has always been about education. For those of you that have visited us in-store or on-line, you know that education is the cornerstone of what we do.

Many Koi Clubs from around the Northwest have come to visit this summer - some from as much as 200 miles away. We encourage and welcome all Koi Club members and KB'ers to stop by for a visit. I'm happy to give you a personal tour.

As for franchising - we are seeking only the highest qualified and committed individuals in the states in which we are licensed. We are focused on getting the "right" people involved - not just anyone. So our growth stategy is purposely slow and deliberate.

We intend on becoming more a part of this site - and possibly a sponsor. We plan to offer and promote this site to our customers as an outstanding resource.

Again, thank you all for all that you do. Yes, Dick is right .....you've had a direct influence on what we do, how we do it, and why we do it.

We've also had the great Koi Coach ....Mr. Dick Benbow put on an outstanding Koi Seminar this last June between the Kodama's seminars in May and July. He and the Kodama's will hold regular seminars at our Flagship Store in Redmond, Washington - as well as all future franchise stores as they open.

We're also looking for more outstanding presenters for our seminar program. Anyone interested can email me directly at [email protected]

Sincerely,
    John Russell
    CEO
    Russell Water, Gardens & Koi

Welcome Back John

Good to hear from you again and I'm happy to hear that you are still headed in a better direction than the typical ADI mess

I'm also encouraged that you are still insisting on being extra fussy about who you set up franchises with. You have been willing to learn the difference and apply it to your business model. Plenty of would be installers might be happy to peddle your products but still follow the ADI misinformation they've grown so accustomed to. Good for sales but bad for Koi and Koi education.

BTW, if you ever do make it to Oklahoma I'm still gonna hold you to the round of golf we talked about
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Congrats Dick

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    I think it's been pretty close to Two years now That John Russell was on our chat line. He had opened a watergarden store and was posting about it and created quite a busy thread here for awhile. The conversations swirled around the difference between a koi pond and a water feature. Later it was learned that Kodama had affiliated with him to provide Koi from Japan to compliment his hardgoods and folks here seemed quite surprised by that as well. I even volunteered if you remember to run down and visit his facility for the board and give a report.

I ramble on about it for those that remember because you would not believe the changes since the pot first boiled. Did we have an influence on his thinking? I think we may have.Today besides beautiful japanese koi, you can stroll thru the gardens that display ponds, labeled for what they are, including serious Koi ponds. About every other month The kodamas come and put on an informative seminar on Koi. It's become a positive resourse for the seattle area Koi Keepers.

I think the transistion even shows in the name which has now been changed to reflect the new direction, Russell Water, Gardens and Koi.

Just thought you'd like to know
    Hi Dick,

I'm pleased to see you are able to put your talents to work. John and the Kodamas were smart to pick you up for their seminar circuit. I wish you and them the best of luck. It's good for the hobby when there is a commitment to education and follow through after the sale.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by John Russell View Post
    Hello all,

Thank you all. Yes, you and the Kodama's are a great influence on what we're doing up here in the Great Northwest. I do apologize to anyone and everyone that may have gotten the wrong impression of what we're doing.

Our mission has always been about education. For those of you that have visited us in-store or on-line, you know that education is the cornerstone of what we do.

Many Koi Clubs from around the Northwest have come to visit this summer - some from as much as 200 miles away. We encourage and welcome all Koi Club members and KB'ers to stop by for a visit. I'm happy to give you a personal tour.

As for franchising - we are seeking only the highest qualified and committed individuals in the states in which we are licensed. We are focused on getting the "right" people involved - not just anyone. So our growth stategy is purposely slow and deliberate.

We intend on becoming more a part of this site - and possibly a sponsor. We plan to offer and promote this site to our customers as an outstanding resource.

Again, thank you all for all that you do. Yes, Dick is right .....you've had a direct influence on what we do, how we do it, and why we do it.

We've also had the great Koi Coach ....Mr. Dick Benbow put on an outstanding Koi Seminar this last June between the Kodama's seminars in May and July. He and the Kodama's will hold regular seminars at our Flagship Store in Redmond, Washington - as well as all future franchise stores as they open.

We're also looking for more outstanding presenters for our seminar program. Anyone interested can email me directly at [email protected]

Sincerely,
    John Russell
    CEO
    Russell Water, Gardens & Koi
    Congratulations John, on such an exciting venture! I was holding my breath 2 years ago, hoping that this would be the outcome. Watergardens and Koi Ponds can co-exist happily after all, and I'm pleased to see that you're integrating seminars to educate the general public. I'm sure Dick has been as much as an asset to you as he's been to us on the board.

I was wondering--are all of the koi that you offer at your establishment from Kodama-san? Or are you able to offer fish from breeders not necessarily in Niigata, if not as a matter of course, perhaps as special orders if requested? Just wondering how rounded that facet of your enterprise is...
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Nisai

The new wave

Hi all,

Papa Bear - you bet! When I get down your way - we'll definitely get together. I'm looking forward to playing a round (or two) of golf with you!

Trying to not stand on a stump here - but I can't help it.

RW,G&K has done more to improve the watergardening (WG) industry than any other company or group. 5 years ago, no one in the WG industry ever talked about the importance of backwashing, filter surface area, water quality, water depth, or anything else relating to Koi health. They never considered Bottom Drains or building ponds without gravel or rock. Yes, there was all of you KB'ers - but no one in the WG side. Because of us, Aquascape, Easy Pro, Atlantic, Pond Eco, Savio, and others talk about backwashing in their catalogs. They never listened to anyone in the Koi industry - but since they've seen how Russell Water, Gardens & Koi (RW, G&K) has captured a rapidly growing market share by listening to all of you - they've been forced by us to keep up. This is a positive step forward for Koi all around the country.

No one on the WG side ever took the time to listen to all of you. RW,G&K did. As you all know, we created the world's first backwashable waterfall filter (among other inventions). Now others in the industry are following. We introduced increased pond depth to water garden builders - now the better contractors are building deeper ponds. We were the first to talk about the importance of SSA for knowing how much ammonia a filtration system could process - now it's freely discussed on many WG chat forums. We talked about the differences between nitrifying and heterotrophic bacteria strains - now many WG'ers know the difference and are offering both types. We introduced new pond types that make transitioning from rock & gravel ponds more easy. We show contractors how to increase their sales by giving them more options to offer thier customers.

We invented the Hybrid Pond concept - both the pond design and filtration system design - to make WG ponds safer for Koi than water garden ponds - now many WG contractors offer these types of installations. We invented the CrossOver Pond concept to make Hybrid Ponds even more like Koi Ponds - but a little less formal looking than Koi Ponds - again, more and more WG contractors are installing these. We are teaching contractors how to build Koi Ponds so they don't have to turn down jobs - or give their customers incorrect products.

And, since our concept has all four pond concepts side by side - Water garden pond, Hybrid Pond, CrossOver Pond, and Koi Pond - more and more contractors are being exposed to a broader spectrum of ponds they can offer to their customers. And, when they bring their customers into our store - the customer can physically see the differences and understand what they are actually getting from their contractor. The customer and the contractor win.

RW,G&K has done more to improve the WG industry in just a few short years than any other company, or group. More important - we are educating the general public more thoroughly than any other company or group by exposing them to ponds from both sides of the spectrum - and those that we've created in the middle.

So, my point is that the era of agressive WG contractors pulling the wool over their customers eyes is dying. RW,G&K has created a new wave of contractor by educating the general public. With a more educated general public, they are demanding more from their contractors. The contractors that still belong to "Certified" programs are struggling to survive. RW,G&K is forcing them to change or they'll "wither on the vine".

RW,G&K has created a new era by listening to all of you KB'ers. The dialogue is now more civil, and changes are acually being made.

Thanks so much everyone.
    Sincerely,
    John Russell
    CEO
    Russell Water, Gardens, & Koi

p.s. We also created HydroCology - the world's first responsible backwash water recycling systems. Watch to see how this RW, G&K invention is affecting the industry.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast