Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ichi-ban.....

Quote Originally Posted by markgardner View Post
    Dick

Full details are on the blog, this link was included in the post, Brian seemingly saw fit to delete the link. Wakaranai, I hoped my posts added something to the board, obviously not.

No probs, sayonara.

Mark
    Mark,

Your posts, at least the ones that had content to them did indeed add something to the board. With regard to the links to your blog, I have no problem with the information so long as you're willing to post them here in full on the forum as then they would add content rather than diluting from it, especially considering that there is always the same exact link with no reciprocal linkback which indeed hurts our search engine rankings.

While we're on the subject though, these tag-and-run links also hurt our position with advertisers as your blog prominently displays a link to a commercial interest of yours, so it makes our position very weak with our own advertisers and with non-advertisers that try and plug themselves.

You photo and comment weren't deleted, only the link. If you'd like to post your full blog entry here minus the link then you're more than welcome and you can keep your homepage link in your profile, but not in your signature.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Jumbo
    Brian

Firstly, the inclusion of a link out of your site does absolutely nothing whatsoever to hurt your search engine optimisation.

However, no problem, now you've stated the real reason for deleting the link, it was a commercially motivated decision. At the end of the day it's your site and you can make whatever decisions you choose.

My blog is purely to tell people my stay in Ojiya and Yamakoshi and hopefully generate interest in Nishikigoi, sure it has a small image link out to a commercial interest of mine, it's hardly laden with adverts!

Now, it's not like I post a link every day, or every week for that matter. To be honest, I simply don't need to, 99% of my blog's traffic is from people who have bookmarked the site already! Occasionally there may be something particularly interesting, or something that may create discussion, for example the tosai above and the story that accompanied it. Where is that discussion going to take place? Oh yeah, right here on Koi Bito board, thus generating interest in the board, thus giving you wonderful stats with which you can convince your site sponsors to continue sponsoring.

It's a shame you chose to suddenly do this publicly, given that we've known each other for over 5 years now, rather than just drop me a line saying, 'Mark, for commercial reasons please don't post links to your blog.'

To think back to 2002 when Koi Bito was first launched and all the plugging that I did for it!

Mark

p.s. Now, one thing I hate is a rule that's not applied consistently........

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/general-koi-forum/9160-pictures-arcen-2008-a.html

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/general-koi-forum/9169-international-judges-arcen-2008-atb-tv.html

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/general-koi-forum/9168-danemark-arcen-2008-atb-tv.html

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/general-koi-forum/9167-klan-arcen-2008-a.html
    Mark Gardner

Mark,

It's a shame you decided to take this all personally and lash out like you did, as I've already stated your text and pic were left as they were and only the link was removed. No statement was made against you publicly other than the reason for removing the link, and there was nothing personal in that whether you choose to believe it or not.

I'll respond to your statements below:

Firstly, the inclusion of a link out of your site does absolutely nothing whatsoever to hurt your search engine optimisation.
    Duplicate links to the same URL do have a negative effect on search engine rankings. SEO strategy is a very subjective topic and opinions differ on what helps and hurts. You can choose to dismiss my claim outright, but over the past 6 months we have put a lot of time, effort and money into SEO and you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one. You may or may not have noticed, but I even took the link out of my own signature for this very reason.

Another point worth stating here is that incoming links from high-ranking sites is very good for your own rankings, which I'm sure that you and any others that are net savvy already understand that quite well.

However, no problem, now you've stated the real reason for deleting the link, it was a commercially motivated decision. At the end of the day it's your site and you can make whatever decisions you choose.
    So it's impossible to have more than one reason for making a decision? SEO in itself makes for a commercial decision, and you make it sound as if I had hidden motives. I don't feel that I should have to explain why Jim or I decide to edit or delete posts, but I'd like to reiterate again that nothing personal was directed towards you. The link was what was undesirable and nothing was said about you as a person whatsoever. Both Jim and myself have posted the rules numerous times in the hopes that people will police themselves without any need for us to intervene at all.

My blog is purely to tell people my stay in Ojiya and Yamakoshi and hopefully generate interest in Nishikigoi, sure it has a small image link out to a commercial interest of mine, it's hardly laden with adverts!
    I never said it was laden with adverts, did I? The way I see it is either something is commercial or it is not. If there is a link to a commercial endeavor and you happen to own both sites, then in my opinion it's commercial.

I have a few commercial interests myself and I link out to none of them out of respect for the board. If I have something to say to the visitors to this forum, I say it here. What you choose to do on your site is your prerogative, but I'm a bit disappointed that you take this "gee shucks, I weren't doin' nothing" attitude when I pointed this out.

Now, it's not like I post a link every day, or every week for that matter. To be honest, I simply don't need to, 99% of my blog's traffic is from people who have bookmarked the site already! Occasionally there may be something particularly interesting, or something that may create discussion, for example the tosai above and the story that accompanied it. Where is that discussion going to take place? Oh yeah, right here on Koi Bito board, thus generating interest in the board, thus giving you wonderful stats with which you can convince your site sponsors to continue sponsoring.
    To be honest, I don't know if you need the links or not and the point is irrelevant to me. If you don't need to, then why do it? You've already taken the time to write a small blurb and link a photo, so why not just copy and paste the whole of your article and make a complete post of it, as I've invited you to do? Surely it can't be that much additional effort and if all you want to do is get the message across as you say, then surely it shouldn't matter where the viewer actually reads the story then should it? The discussion can take place right here (as you say) and you also provide a convenience for them in that they don't need to redirect away from the KB site, and it would be even more convenient for them if they want to quote some of your entry in their post. Would it be so unacceptable to you to post your blog entries here since you've taken the trouble to start a thread for each link?

On a separate note, is posting the photo of a breakfast spot more than once something that's of considerable interest? Why tell people that they can download it at your site when you can simply post it here and make it more convenient for them? If you've encountered any upload restrictions simply send me a PM and I'll take care of it.

It's a shame you chose to suddenly do this publicly, given that we've known each other for over 5 years now, rather than just drop me a line saying, 'Mark, for commercial reasons please don't post links to your blog.'
    No Mark, it's a shame that you chose to have this outburst publicly over having a rule applied to you that we've applied to numerous others in the past, all with little or no fanfare. You could have just as easily PM'd me and kept everything quiet as I penalized the action, not the person. Plenty of people take the time to PM us and ask what's okay to post or not to see if there's any conflict, and most of them are amazingly apologetic when they've crossed the line. I wouldn't dream of trashing you publicly on your own site regardless of whether you had deleted one of my posts in part or whole. I would have taken it up with you privately to see what I had done wrong rather than lashing out. The gate swings both ways.

To think back to 2002 when Koi Bito was first launched and all the plugging that I did for it!
    Hmm...I was raised to believe that a favor was something you did for someone without asking or expecting anything in return. Definitely not using it to rub in someones face and lord over them when things don't go your way.

Since we bring it up though, your favors were indeed appreciated and if you remember I did a few for you as well. I would never think to throw them in your face, and I'm also disappointed that you chose to do so.

So...you're taking me to task over not coming down on links to a French site? I can't even read what's on the site and quite frankly don't see your point here. Most people that visit the KB site are English-speakers and wouldn't go very deep into the ATB site anyway. I'd also add that this is show coverage, so if you have another point to make then I'm all ears. Anyway, I'll try to dig out my best schoolboy French and poke around and see what their commercial interest is. Perhaps you have a point after all.

All I can say in closing is if there's one thing that I hate, it's when someone clearly knows the rules and thinks for some reason or other that they don't apply to them.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Jumbo
    Brian

Firstly, I've not 'lashed out'.

Secondly, I've posted similar links to my blog since January, never before have they been deemed in breach of your published rules, therefore I've simply asked why now? As the editing of my post is in public I felt justified asking for clarification in public. After all, we spoke in Feb at the All Japan and also in April at the Wakagoi, never did you suggest a problem with my posts.

With regards the French site? Yeah, I'll take you to task, you made the rules, not me, nowhere does it say if you site is in a foreign language you can post to whatever you like!

I'm not going to continue a public 'spat' over this.

Maybe see you in Niigata in Autumn?

Mark

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    On a separate note, is posting the photo of a breakfast spot more than once something that's of considerable interest?

Well feedback tells me yes, actually seeing the change in season from one spot, not accessible for almost 4 months of the year, is of considerable interest apparently, sorry!

A couple of quotes in reply, maybe not from Bito:
    Hi Mark

I have been wondering when we will hear from you again!

I know this "spot" so well, but only in autumn and spring (when it depends on the rate of snow clearance; some springs you don't get to see it although you can drive fairly close either side!). It must be so peaceful up there now. Lucky you.

Michael

Mark,

I too had been wondering when we would next see a posting from you on NI...

Mark, your name/face had crossed my mind just yesterday - as I was wondering whether you had remained in Japan or not?

Thus, it was wonderful to see/read your lastest post.

Thank you for continuing to share your adventure.

All the very best!

Your pal

Lee Aronfeld
    Grand Cayman

Those photos in the sequence of Breakfast panoramas realy show how the landscape changes throughout the seasons.

Enjoy the Shinano Firework fest. rgds Bern

Happy days!

Mark

Daihonmei
    So you gonna tell me what you know about the dirty shiro...if that is a sign of quality with this showa line...all showa pups have it and I just never noticed
    Or you really did drop it on the floor first

Jumbo
    The same Showa photographed today as it came from the mud for the winter...

A baby with beni still coming together. Very nice.

Meg
    Mark thanks for the follow up!
    so far so good! can't wait to see it come spring.

Hi Mark, where does Shintaro derive his Showa line from?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast