Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pond returns versus Good Body Shape

Pond returns versus Good Body Shape

I am new to the Koi hobby and is currently planning a 25000lt pond with outside measurements of 5.2 x 2.4 x.2.2 due to space constraints.
    I own a few above average Koi with growth potential and would like to create a good environment for future growth. Part of my planning is a Nexus 300, Easy Pod, Trickle Towers, and Air Dome Bottom Drains.

I am getting mixed signals from my fellow Koi Keepers re the question about pond returns, top, mid and bottom for the purposes of Koi exercise by means of a timer.
    Some view that the piping will contain anaerobic pathogenic bacteria over a period of time, due to the system not running fulltime. Some suggest that with the help of valves the system is changed from a pump flow to a suction system via an alternate line when Koi are rested. My question is if this is still practiced by Koi keepers today or is this method not important to achieve good body shape? Is the pond to small to create too much current? Does the air dome play a role in achieving current and body shape?

Honmei
    A lot of questions there Bobby. First and foremost is the domes on the bottom drains. Far more current is created from these (under typical installation) than from the pump's return lines. That being said, the returns, as TPRs are used to twist the currents created by the air domes creating a more efficient draw to the drains for the solids. As for dormant lines goinf stagnent, just leave the vales cracked a tad and thus the water does not stagnate.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

MCA
    Bobby,

I think that if those measurements are in feet, the first feedback you should have gotten was about your pond dimensions. Koi, being riverine carp, need serious room in both horizontal and vertical planes. A depth of 2.5 feet is not so good for koi. For koi, please go at least 4' with 6 being even better. You can not build a pond too deep for koi.

Please consider that goldfish might be a better choice for such a contained area. Nothing wrong with a nice goldfish pond!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Bobby,

I think that if those measurements are in feet, the first feedback you should have gotten was about your pond dimensions. Koi, being riverine carp, need serious room in both horizontal and vertical planes. A depth of 2.5 feet is not so good for koi. For koi, please go at least 4' with 6 being even better. You can not build a pond too deep for koi.

Please consider that goldfish might be a better choice for such a contained area. Nothing wrong with a nice goldfish pond!!!
    I believe those are meter measurements.

Grant

Per other thread, it isn't 2500 litres. It is 25,000 liters.

MCA
    OK measurements in meters and volume of 25,000 liters are much more like a koi pond. In feet that would have been a nice goldie pond.

Thanks Guys, trust me to project my new small pond even smaller, I am so used to hear that my current pond is only 10,000lt, Comments like why is your koi swimming in your "settlement chamber"

YES MY NEW POND WILL BE A MIN OF 25,000LT LOL

just for the sake of discussion, I have a friend of mine who dug her pond to 12 feet deep in an effort to gain volumn. I was totally impressed within one year, the impact it soley had on body shape alone among her
    existing koi. ( where you could see cause and effect )

So while we can discuss efforts to create currents for excercising etc, if you'd have seen what I saw in just one year, you might be thinking along some additional designs utilizing depth towards creating body shapes.....That's not to say that depth of it's own is the central focus, but it definetely plays a part!

Be prepared however to seine your pond when it comes to catching your koi.
    a handled net long enough to deal with these depths cannot keep up with the speed of the koi, so the gap has to be narrowed to create some "sitting ducks"
    Last edited by dick benbow; 09-03-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dick Benbow

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    just for the sake of discussion, I have a friend of mine who dug her pond to 12 feet deep in an effort to gain volumn. I was totally impressed within one year, the impact it soley had on body shape alone among her
    existing koi. ( where you could see cause and effect )

So while we can discuss efforts to create currents for excercising etc, if you'd have seen what I saw in just one year, you might be thinking along some additional designs utilizing depth towards creating body shapes.....That's not to say that depth of it's own is the central focus, but it definetely plays a part!

Be prepared however to seine your pond when it comes to catching your koi.
    a handled net long enough to deal with these depths cannot keep up with the speed of the koi, so the gap has to be narrowed to create some "sitting ducks"
    Dick,
    I agree that depth helps immensly with body shape. Dan and Gene's pond, at 10" in depth grows koi better than any other pond that I have seen. But it is not depth alone. Couple that depth with appropriate currents and husbandry skills and you have a winning combination. But like almost anything else, their are tradeoffs. With depth comes complications in netting the koi as just one issue.

Remember, "It's a system."

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

If you can not create enough depth, can you compensate by creating stronger currents for them to swim against?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast