Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what disease is this?

Daihonmei
    hey, Steve, long time no talk!

If this look catches on, we may have to look into creating a new judging standard for Orandagoi!
    Picture this- Orandagoi X longfin = ?? Now if we can get something with no dorsal -- look out --- maybe a new line for Infrustration Inc!

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Tony, it would be an "Oranda" since Ranchus do not have dorsals. Scary thought that I would even know this! LOL

Steve
    HAHAHAHAHA, your right....We truely need to see this disease on a longfin then we call call it the biggest Oranda, beating out "Bruce" in China.

Sorry for the jokes, but in the 20 years of being in this hobby, I have only see that disease in books...

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    That is a great picture. May I use it in one of my 'koi talks'? Yes, it is likely a neoplasm ( cancer tumors- carinoma) or a papillomas growth ( which is benign).
    what's happening here is the epithelial cells are in a case of extreme hyperplasia.
    The good news is, papillomas are both harmless and more common than squamous cell carcinomas.
    But only a biopsy can tell your friend for sure if the growth is harmless or deadly. I'm betting harmless. JR

I don't think my friend would mind if you use the picture since it will be used to further our education on koi diseases.

yeah, it looks like it turned into a lionhead koi. Here is another angle

I was told they gave it a shot of baytril. so the only thing I could tell them was to follow the protocol and not just one injection.

will keep you posted of the progression or regression of this koi.

should they attempt to rupture the liquid filled sacs?

Larry

Daihonmei
    IMHO no, there is no point in breaking the skin layer. This is not like an abscess filled with infected fluids . And it is not wise to inject the fish as it will not help but it will stress the fish's kidneys for no reason. JR

Meg
    when did the first "blisters" show up and how long did it take for the koi to get to the shape it is in now?
    seems late for considerig injections?

if it is a a papillomas growth JR is that contagious? I would be conserned keep it with my other koi

and it is difficult to think that is not painful, guess it is difficult not to put a human reaction to it.

will get more info and pics over the weekend

Lar

Update of shiro and another case

According to the owner, the swelling has subsided and what remains is a wrinkled look. will post pic when I get to the farm.

Here is a seitaro chagoi, same batch as the other seitaro chagoi I posted here with derma problems.

History: approx 4 years old, has been listless for over a month, floating on the surface and would only move when the current pushes it up against the wall.

swollen head

notice the swelling on the base of the head, the fukurin behind the head are also swollen

This koi is located in the city using city water while the shiro is located 60 km away using well water. The only common factor we can think of is the rain.

it is currently in a quarantine tank with 0.7% salt and erubaaju.

Wow! That just plain looks painful! And very similar to the Shiro.

The Shiro's lumps went down and now it's left with wrinkles to the skin? Is it otherwise healthy in appearance and behavior? Did it ever act as listless as this chagoi? Got any update pics?

The Shiro is in well water, the Chagoi city water. Can you get the water parameters of each pond and post them for us? You mention that the only thing in common with each pond is the rain--but until we can see water parameters (temp, ph, kh, gh, nitrate, nitrite, etc) how can we really compare to figure out what's going on?

What do the gills of these fish look like?

So many things to take into consideration, and this is one really strange set of problems.....
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

The Shiro's lumps went down and now it's left with wrinkles to the skin? Is it otherwise healthy in appearance and behavior? Did it ever act as listless as this chagoi? Got any update pics?

The shiro was returned to the main pond and behaving normally. it never acted listless like this chagoi. I have not had the chance to visit my friend's farm, so no pics yet.

The Shiro is in well water, the Chagoi city water. Can you get the water parameters of each pond and post them for us? You mention that the only thing in common with each pond is the rain--but until we can see water parameters (temp, ph, kh, gh, nitrate, nitrite, etc) how can we really compare to figure out what's going on?

Although I did not ask about their water parameter, I am assuming (I know, don't assume) water parameters to be perfect. These 2 individuals take their filtration and water quality seriously. I know one of them test the water parameters everyday and keeps a log book. pond size is approx 60 tons.

What do the gills of these fish look like?

Gills are a healthy pinkish red

Quote Originally Posted by tangigi View Post
    According to the owner, the swelling has subsided and what remains is a wrinkled look. will post pic when I get to the farm.

Here is a seitaro chagoi, same batch as the other seitaro chagoi I posted here with derma problems.

History: approx 4 years old, has been listless for over a month, floating on the surface and would only move when the current pushes it up against the wall.

swollen head

notice the swelling on the base of the head, the fukurin behind the head are also swollen

This koi is located in the city using city water while the shiro is located 60 km away using well water. The only common factor we can think of is the rain.

it is currently in a quarantine tank with 0.7% salt and erubaaju.
    What part of the PI are these fish? I also noticed the scales seem to have pineconed abit too...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast