Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what disease is this?

what disease is this?

Hi,

This is my friend's omosako shiro, age 5 years, size 75 cm. Can someone id this disease and recommend a treatment? thanks

Daihonmei
    That is a great picture. May I use it in one of my 'koi talks'? Yes, it is likely a neoplasm ( cancer tumors- carinoma) or a papillomas growth ( which is benign).
    what's happening here is the epithelial cells are in a case of extreme hyperplasia.
    The good news is, papillomas are both harmless and more common than squamous cell carcinomas.
    But only a biopsy can tell your friend for sure if the growth is harmless or deadly. I'm betting harmless. JR

No idea what is - must be some type of growth, but a pity that it has been left to do damage to that extent. I hope that it is treatable.

Daihonmei
    it's not treatable Wayne but it has been known, if it is papillomas, to slough off in some areas and in some cases. Although not the same as carp pox ( a virus) papillomas might be virus driven or environmental driven. In the end, it takes on a life of it's own and only time will tell if it regresses or sloughs are is present for a lifetime. JR

My god it's turning into a goldfish. Elephant fish disease?

That is the first koi I have ever seen that looks like it was crossed with a ranchu....I would go with JR on this one, looks like a tumors.

JR--look at the shiro behind the tumors. It's really upset, and looks to not have a whole lot of slime coat to it (from what I can tell from the pic). Is it spreading, or has something caustic been applied to or gotten on the fish to make the skin blister? I can't imagine something getting on the fish without getting in it's gills and killing it, but wonders never cease.

Daihonmei
    Good Morning Marie!

We really need a biopsy to be sure, but I think it is papilloma. When I said 'environmental', I meant that many cancers are thought to be environmentally linked. As you suggested, I also find it hard to accept that something that would savage the epidermal layer to this degree would somehow spare the epithelium of the gills ( and kill the fish outright). Unless of course, this koi is guilty of 'bobbing for fries' in a Deep Frier!

You can see that this complex of cancers, skin viruses ( like herpes koi pox) and papillomas are attacks and distortions of the upper skin layers and as such tend to not be deadly ( except in the case of cancer of course which moves into more critical layers of the skin and circulation/lymph systems). So this condition certainly is not painful and will only effect the fish when it obstructs other surface functions.
    I have a picture somewhere of a koi with a complete 'cauliflower head'! Not unlike a serious lion head oranda. I'll see if I can find it-----

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    That is the first koi I have ever seen that looks like it was crossed with a ranchu....I would go with JR on this one, looks like a tumors.
    Tony, it would be an "Oranda" since Ranchus do not have dorsals. Scary thought that I would even know this! LOL

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Nisai

Contagious?

Hi JR,

I've never seen disease like this before. Your analysis of tumors sounds reasonable - and a biopsy would most likely prove you correct. My questions: Do you think its contagious to the other Koi? And, what do you think caused this?

Thanks so much.
    Sincerely,
    John Russell
    www.russellwatergardens.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast