Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Price Is Right - Kohaku

The Price Is Right - Kohaku

I am a bit bored tonight, it has been raining for the last 4 months, I am sure I can hear Noah and his clan building the ark next door. As a way of learning more about koi appreciation, I will start off with the Kohaku. Below you will find a selection of 4 supposedly high class kohakus, can you place the fish in descending order with the most expensive koi first and then state regardless of price which one you would have in your pond and why?

Koi 1
    Breeder: Yamatoya, Age: 3, Sex: Female, Size: 65cm

Koi 2
    Breeder: Matsue, Age: 2, Sex: Female, Size: 57cm

Koi 3
    Breeder: Torazo, Age: 2, Sex: Female, Size: 57cm

Koi4
    Breeder: Nogami, Age: 3, Sex: Female, Size 64cm

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Price Is Right - Kohaku-koh65sansai.jpg   The Price Is Right - Kohaku-mat008.jpg   The Price Is Right - Kohaku-k300010.jpg   The Price Is Right - Kohaku-nogami-kohaku-b.jpg  

Oyagoi
    Are these from same dealer?

I just notice the different shade of beni on these and always wonder when looking at photos from the internet how much camera quaility or how good a person is running the camera has to do with appearance.

sorry just something that sticks out when seeing these 4 photos.

This could be interesting .

Let me prepare you for the "The best photo is # ?" .

I think there are things we can learn from Threads like this . But after seeing as many koi as I have Both in person & then the same Koi in a photo , I can tell you its hard to judge much from a photo .

And I can Damn tell you , I'm not going first !

All 4 are from different dealers.

This is very difficult! The photos have a hyper-saturation of color on my screen. The angles differ, affecting the body presentation. And, I find myself 'looking for the trick', rather than just looking at what I see. LOL

Well, for whatever it's worth...

Matsue (#2) most expensive (and one I'd like to have ...does that influence my opinion of value? The translucent skin comes across so well on my screen! I think the body is likely better when viewed at a head-on angle.)

Torazo (#3) second most expensive. What an impressive body frame.

Yamatoya (#1). Nice koi, but doesn't grab me.

Nogami (#4). I keep thinking that as a sansai she should rank at the top, certainly not at the bottom, but I keep putting her last. I cannot explain the gut feeling I have about her.

Interesting challenge.

Tosai
    I'd probably say the order you have them in is about right, Koi3 has a male look to it though with body shape, thick set pecs and hard red beni?

For me the Yamatoya is head and shoulders above the rest when you look at the kiwa and sashi and beni quality compared to koi 2 and 4.

regards

Stuart
    Last edited by stuart t; 09-06-2008 at 03:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Some interesting observations so far, I will tell you the prices later on tonight.

Daihonmei
    Finally I disagree with people I respect...so i get to learn...or better yet THEY get to learn
    4 tail tube!
    3 young, real red but it is a 2 yr old
    1 nicer than 3 but it is a year older and it ain't a year nicer
    2 I am afraid that the hi is going away...I know it is an expensive fish, but the other three fish don't scare me

Koi 1
    Breeder: Yamatoya, Age: 3, Sex: Female, Size: 65cm
    Nice clean frame, hoshi on scales looks good, kiwa pretty clean, but no sashi to give a glimpse of depth. These is something about this one that makes me wonder if it will ever finish, but it is just a picture after all.

Koi 2
    Breeder: Matsue, Age: 2, Sex: Female, Size: 57cm
    While the marusome kiwa looks crisp and the quality of the beni appears good ths one leaves me nonplussed. The flowery pattern won't keep up with this fish as it adds length and girth imho.

Koi 3
    Breeder: Torazo, Age: 2, Sex: Female, Size: 57cm
    This one is impressive in many ways. Very strong frame, quality of beni and shiroji appear excellent although beni (in the picture) looks to have some of the purpleish tendencies that may keep it from holding for a long time. While the pattern may be a bit lean on interest today, at only 57cm it has plenty of growth ahead and the pattern may well open up in several places to add interest. I would very much like to have this one in my pond.

Koi4
    Breeder: Nogami, Age: 3, Sex: Female, Size 64cm
    I really hope this fish is carrying eggs, otherwise I just hate the body. The tailtube is nice and thick, but the abdomen is so football shaped that it ruins the look (at least in this photo angle). The pattern distribution could be exaggerating that impression somewhat. The pattern does have plenty of interest and the skin quality looks good. Very solid shiroji and beni at it appears to have plenty of growth potential ahead of it. I just hope that as it does the frame can smooth out as the abdomen transitions into the tailtube.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

#1 - Appears to have best skin and volume at this stage. Still 2-3 years away but has the body to support the growth.

#3 - The photo doesn't do this fish justice. The camera settings put too much color saturation into the photo. Torazo's fish have deep beni, but not this red. It has very thick beni, good body line for future growth. I'm not taken by the near omoyo pattern however. I would like to see this as a sandan, that's why I placed it second.

#2 - Although more of a flowery pattern, it should hold up until Yonsai. Depending on where it is kept will determine how this fish develops. Personally, I would hold off on trying to make this a "jumbo" and work on improving the already beautiful skin quality this fish has and compete at size 5.

#4 - I don't like the beni on this fish. It has grown around the shoulders rather quickly and has begun to stretch the pattern past what it can be. I see too many issues like "saw tooth" kiwa on the odome area, separating hi scales along the right and left sides of the kugaki area.

That's how I would place these fish for judging from photos. As far as price, that's a tough one as every one of these breeders/dealers are very high priced for the better quality fish.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast