Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this disease

What is this disease

Hi,

this is my friend's seitaro chagoi. approaching yonsai, 89 cm.

5 months ago, my friend saw a pimple on the forehead of the chagoi. the pimple would blister and turn red. pictures were taken and sent to the breeder in Japan. the recommendation was to make a salt paste and gently brush the acne looking spots. 2 injections were given with a 1 week interval.

about a month ago, my friend informed me that another fellow will try to cure it and if I would like to drop by and observe. The fellow applied a violet liquid with a q-tip on the sores (I am assuming it is PP since one of the aide said it felt warm on contact) and gave it a shot (3 days, 3 shots). In the end, the guy gave up.

here are the pics.

close up

dorsal area

tail area

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Larry

Nisai
    Can some one shed the light on this disease? I have the same problem with 20" kohaku? But the spots were darker. I will post some pictures tonight.

Larry make sure you check the belly of the koi. I had ulcers spots every where. Had the same problem last year.

I treated mine with debride ointment and Amakacin injections. The ulcer all healed up but i have the spots less it seams like it is healing. I just ordered some Tricide Neo.

Andy

Is this the same friend that has the Shiro Utsuri with the tumors on its head?

MCA
    While it is great to treat the fish....such things don't just happen. Either water quality is off, or parasites are present...or both. Something is stressing the fish enough to give infection an openning.

Nisai
    The don't think the problem is water or parasite

0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    trace of nitrate
    ph 7.7 to 8
    GH & KH around 150

Have 4 filter system with 4 water pump running. 7,200 gallon pond with approximately 13,000 GPH going through the filter. 5 air pumps (350 liter per hour). I can be more specific with pond design if you like? The pond is in full sun

I think it is something with this fish possibly a low immune system. I bought her last spring as a Nissai about a month after red/dark spots showed on her cheeks it progressively go worst with ulcers on the belly. It took 4 or 5 shots of Amakacin that took care of it. She was totally heal this spring it came up again. Same fish no other fish got sick. Small ulcer spots everywhere not the typical single large one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    Is this the same friend that has the Shiro Utsuri with the tumors on its head?
    Different person. this cha belongs to my neighbor. 50k gallon pond with 4 independent long throw filtration system. 20 kois. all the rest are doing fine. this chagoi is in a quarantine tank.

yes, he did mention that there are ulcerations in the belly. I thought the protocol of amikacin is no more than 3 shots

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by tangigi View Post
    yes, he did mention that there are ulcerations in the belly. I thought the protocol of amikacin is no more than 3 shots
    I have read that as well. I gave her 3 shots initially after several day i could tell it was healing. A weak or two later it was getting worst so i gave her two more shots that did the job.

these are the only pictures i have on this computer. I have some that is a lot worst.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is this disease-img_8928.jpg   What is this disease-img_8929.jpg   What is this disease-img_8922.jpg   What is this disease-img_8824.jpg  

Nisai
    Bump Bump Bump

redhotkoi,

can you post pics of the problem when it was a lot worst? thanks.

I will inform my friend the antibiotic you used. Since I am not a KHA and the koi does not belong to me, its very hard to recommend.

I guess this disease does not occur too often.

If he were to apply a triple action antibacterial ointment, how often can you apply the ointment? will it destroy healthy cells if applied too often?

regards

Larry

Have either of you taken scrapings from the fish and looked at them through a microscope to ascertain what may be causing this? I don't believe it starts with a bacterial infection. In some spots on the Chagoi, it looked suspiciously of a protozoan that colonized and then opened the fish up for a secondary infection.

If you have any way to examine samples taken from the fish with a microscope, I'd highly suggest you do it.

An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast