Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin AV-150 Question

MCA
    Never had to change a Dolphin diaphragm yet. Wish I could say the same for Airtech and Alita.

Last year I did a very unscientific experiment. I compared a Dolphin 150 to a Airtech 80....both on my BDs at 8' The Dolphin seemed to deliver slightly more. Then I compared the Dolphin to an Airtech 120 on Nexus. The Airtech delivered slightly more.

My conclusion was that the Dolphin performs more like a 100lpm unit. If I had not already spend the huge money on the Airtechs....I would now have Dolphins on the Nexus. I do run Dolphins on the BDs at 8'. When the Airtechs' diaphrams die....tempting to purchae new Dolphins and drop the Airtechs completely.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

I WOULD LOVE TO MOVE SOUTH!! At least one zone.

Problem is my family loves the snow and cold so looks like I'm stuck freezing my toes off.

The pond has been through 3 winters. Too my shock and horror, my horse walked all over it without cracking it. Haven't lost a fish yet other than Ryukins that go into the skimmer. Now I put them in a pond with no skimmer for the winter and they do fine.

I will go out and peer into the water through the holes of my heaters and lots of times the fish are swimming around under there! I wonder if the thick layer of ice insulates the pond. Generally, the ice will form and there will be a layer of air between the ice and the surface of the water.

Maybe I'll try that bubble wrap stuff. But doesn't covering the water kind of cut down on the water surface contacting air? Or doesn't that matter in winter and with the air pump running?

I dream of my next pond; hopefully under a pergola with removable fiberglass panels.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Michael, have you chnaged the diaphragm on the Dolphin yet? I've noticed that these don't push water as much an an Aita/Airtech at 9' depth.
    I threw a 150 on my Spindrifters and it worked great for a while at 6 feet of depth. Unit is inside my filter shed. Then we got some really hot days and the air supplied by the Dolphin started to deminish. I'm sure I already need to replace the diaphram after only a month's use. I'd love to see some photos of how to replace the diaphram on these pumps if someone is going to do that sometime soon. I'm considering hooking it back up now that the weather has cooled to see if it will work over the winter months.
    2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
    AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
    July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
    http://www.umkoiclub.org/

YIKES! Auntiesue, are you talking about the Dolphin? I went ahead and ordered one. What temp do you think your shed was?

Tosai
    Hi,

Like MCA, I had been using an Airtech 80 to power my bottom drains. Like clockwork, I had a diaphram failure every year. About a year ago, I decided to not fix the Airtech but get a Dolphin AV 150 instead. So far, the Dolphin has not had a diaphram failure. I will say that the AV 150 is way over rated for air flow. That is my opinion. My pond is 6' deep and I see no difference in air flow between the Airtech 80 and the Dolphin AV 150. I also have an Alita 200 powering my moving bed filters. Since it draws 200 watts, I decided to try my Dolphin AV 150 to see how it would do because it draws a lot less electricity. Unfortunately, it does not even come close to the Alita 200 in air flow. I would say it puts out less than half as much air.

After saying all of the above, I am happy with the Dolphin AV 150 and would reccommend the pump to anyone. Just remember that it is more like a 80 lpm pump than a 150 lpm pump. My 2 cents.

Phil

MCA
    dont want to think what replacement diaphragms cost for an Alita 200

Tosai
    Replacement cost is $150, but I have not had a failure in nearly 4 years! Knock on wood. I have an Alita 40 on my quarantine system that is over 12 years old and has never had a failure. It ran for about 6 years on my old pond, but is now only used when the quarantine system is in use. if the Dolphin AV 150 show the same kind of reliability as the Alita 200, it might make sense to replace it with two AV 150's when the Alita does fail. Will have to consider it at that time.

I used the Airtech 80 on my bottom drains for about 5 years and suffered diaphragm failures regularly. At first, I tried to only replace the broken diaphragm and keep the second as a spare, but I quickly learned that if one fails, the other will soon follow. It is a shame that the diphragms on the Airtech 80's don't last longer because they are a good pump otherwise, with superior performance in deep water applications.

So far no failures on the Dolphin AV 150. This is a good pump but not a great performer in deep water applications. Cheap diaphragms is a big plus.

Phil

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    YIKES! Auntiesue, are you talking about the Dolphin? I went ahead and ordered one. What temp do you think your shed was?
    Yep, I purchased a new Dolphin AV 150 and loved the output initially, but over about a month's time, the unit diminished in air output. This happened at about the same time we hit a hot spell. We wer in the 90s. Not sure what the temp might have been in the shed even with a window open....I'm sure it was higher than 90 degrees simply because it is an enclosed shed. The shed is not in direct sunlight. In fact, in heavy shade which helped some. I have not taken it apart yet. Hope to get to that this weekend so see if the diaphram is damaged. Could just be this unit is really not meant to deal with the backpressure of deep water and Sprindrifters. But the price is sure right. If the inside is still in good shape I'l move it into the garage for the large holding tank and use that air pump somewhere else.

Hey, I had an Airtech fail after only 3 seasons!! Interesting that Phil had a similar experience with them. Been meaning to get that one fixed as well.....someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    If you live in a climate where there is serious winter....move SOUTH. If that is not possible, you may need to build a structure over the pond to take the snow load. I leave that to folks who live places where they gonna do that.

MCA
    As luck would have it...one of the Airtech 120s died last night....one pair of diaphragms (two sets in a 120 or larger) died.

I did not have a spare set of 120 diaphrams. So I connected up my spare Dolphin 150....no problem.

So did I order a replacement set of diaphragms? Nope. I just ordered two new Dolphins with spare diaphragms. I will replace the remain Airtechs with Dolphins. So I will have Dolphin 150s on both BD and on both Nexus plus have one spare for use with QT/hospital or emergency use.

The old Airtechs will go to good use elsewhere. They do not go in the trash.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast