Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Montmorillonite Clay.

Montmorillonite Clay.

Please comment and share your experience with BaoBio Montmorillonite Clay.
    A. Adding to Koi food
    B. Adding to the Pond water

The effect on Koi skin luster and water quality?

MCA
    I take it BaoBio is a local brand for you. Never heard of it in North America. Over here the commonly availble brands are Koi Clay, Microbe Lift, Refresh (from Japan), Thrive, and Strata. There could be several others. Another souce is the powdered calcium Montmorillonite/Bentonite clay from a ceramics shop.

Over a year ago Koi Nations did some testing of koi clays available in North America. They dissolved the same amount into distilled water and set the samples to the UGA water lab for analysis. As I remember, it showed some signficant differences in the trace minerals levels.

When I use clay in the summer, I moisten the pellets with vitamins or OJ and dust them with clay. Using clay can part of a program to get koi ready for a show.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

I Add garlic oil to the pellets and after a 30min rest, let the clay soak up the excess oil. Koi keepers in SA, use the clay in pond water and claim the enhancement of skin before show. I find it difficult to clear my water ( No sand-filter) the alternative would be to add an extract from the clay powder to the water.

Link for Bio
    BaoBIO Holdings (Pty) Ltd

I can't comment on this particular brand, but MCA's comments are spot on in my book. I've never had problems with clearing the water when adding clay as it is readily captured in a typical settlement chamber along with whatever unicellular algae it flocks to itself along the way. Many ponders use it exclusively for algae control.
    The link you posted for this product makes no mention of the type of montmorillionite it is, so it would be difficult to evaluate its potential performance. Sodium Bentonite is best suited for use in mud ponds to seal leaks as it absorbs water readily and swells up, thereby plugging off the leaks. Calcium Bentonite swells far less but does act as a flocking agent and absorbent material for nutrients algae thrives on as well which makes it useful as a water clarifier.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

I use it (when I think about it) just to add trace minerals for the koi.

I set up a new pond in May and it is still going through the cycles. With all the rain we've had it will go green and clear, green and clear. Whenever it starts going green, I'll throw in 2 hand fulls of clay and the next day it is clear again.

In Spring, I soak the pellets with crushed garlic, crushed Vit. C and Koi Clay. It's a great way to get their immune system up and going.

I add clay to my pond every week on a monday, 20g per 1000L. 640g every week. I also add garlic with olive oil and clay to my pellet koi food. I started doing this religously about 4 months ago just before our own local koi show and during this time i could really see an improvement to the skin quality and colour quality of my koi.

My mechanical filtration consists out of a pure votex followed by another vortex containing a filter based on the EA eazy and then a sand filter. My sand filter is responsible for taking the majority of clay out, usually within 1.5 days. So if i add the clay tonight my pond will be clear by tomorrow morning or at worst tomorrow evening. I clean my filters twice a week usually on a Monday morning and again on the Wednesday or Thursday. So although my filter removed the clay from the pond water in 36hrs it only ges removed from the pond 3-4 days later.

Bobby has a problem getting the clay out of the pond water and his water stays brwnish for about a week after addng it so he basially wants to know if it is really nessecary to add it otherwise he does not see his koi.

No, it's not necessary. Most people don't even know what it is.