Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please comment on my Ki Utsuri

Tosai

Please comment on my Ki Utsuri

Hi,

This will be the last koi in my pond (9 total). It is 18" long and I am wondering if I have made a good choice with this koi. I really like the bright yellow. Can someone with more experience shed light on this. I would like to know if this will remain the same or will it turn orange? I have read that the yellow can turn orange. The fish is 2.5 years old.

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please comment on my Ki Utsuri-img_2172.jpg   Please comment on my Ki Utsuri-img_2173.jpg   Please comment on my Ki Utsuri-img_2174.jpg  

BEEEAUTIFUL!!

I just love Ki Utsuris. They really brighten up the place!

I don't know shite from shinola when it comes to Koi so I'm not your 'more experienced person' but I have two Ki Utsuris and neither has gotten darker yet in the year and a half I've had them so far. The one looks similar to yours and is from Maruyo. I'm sure yours is much, much better, a show Koi, since I am not a Koi officionado nor a show person and just go with what appeals to me.

If I see a Koi and gasp and I can afford it, I have to have it! However, I have a hard time paying much money for anything I can't ride (giddy-ap!).

Beautiful Ki Utsuri IMVHO (in my very humble opinion). Congratulations!

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    BEEEAUTIFUL!!

I just love Ki Utsuris. They really brighten up the place!

I don't know shite from shinola when it comes to Koi so I'm not your 'more experienced person' but I have two Ki Utsuris and neither has gotten darker yet in the year and a half I've had them so far. The one looks similar to yours and is from Maruyo. I'm sure yours is much, much better, a show Koi, since I am not a Koi officionado nor a show person and just go with what appeals to me.

If I see a Koi and gasp and I can afford it, I have to have it! However, I have a hard time paying much money for anything I can't ride (giddy-ap!).

Beautiful Ki Utsuri IMVHO (in my very humble opinion). Congratulations!
    Thanks Peppy.

I am wondering if you can put up some photo of your two ki utsuri? i don't consider this a show koi. It is purchased from champ koi and it is from Ogata farm.

I only have the photos that came with them. When I move them back to the pond, I hope to take photos then. I always plan to do that and then things get hectic with the moving and it never pans out!

With all the beautiful show koi on this forum, I hesitate to show people mine and hope they don't laugh me off the planet. But here they are. I just love the black and yellow. They're the first fish people really notice and comment on because that yellow really stands out.

I think the black is nicer on the Maruyo koi now or that was a bad picture or she was washed out from the blue background
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please comment on my Ki Utsuri-2007-07-04-3.jpg   Please comment on my Ki Utsuri-2007-07-07-maruyo-ki-utsuri.jpg  

Hi,

I don't know much about the ki so I'll leave that to others (I always thought it was a weak hi plate that created ki)

But I wanted to say I like the confirmation of your fish. And think it has quite a nice appearance!

Grant

Actually I think you both did pretty good. As to the Ki going Orenji, much depends on genetics and water as this is a difficult variety to keep well under the wrong circumstances. If you have hard water the chances of the yellow getting a "hard" orangi look to it are higher. We have a Ki bekko that has that problem as our gh runs in the 240-250 range, sometimes higher.

Well Blueocean, mine doesn't come close to yours but at least my pics should make you feel good about your purchase.

When I have a better pond and system, I'm trading my Ki Utsuri for one like your new one. That is one heck of a beautiful koi. The yellow is so yellow and the black so black!

The first time I saw a picture of a Ki Utsuri, I wanted one. It's the yellow. It's awesome.

So, PapaBear, I guess with my gh I have two orange and black koi to look forward to. Bummer.

Well, gh numbers do influence it, but genetics are always first in line when it comes to how well Koi develop and hold their color. A Japanese family started up a Koi Farm out in Barstow, California many years ago and despite the fact that they have fairly hard typical "American" water they have become quite good at producing very nice Utsuri. Apparantly their breeding program has succeded in producing fish that are genetically compatible with harder water, so it is possible to do.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Well, gh numbers do influence it, but genetics are always first in line when it comes to how well Koi develop and hold their color. A Japanese family started up a Koi Farm out in Barstow, California many years ago and despite the fact that they have fairly hard typical "American" water they have become quite good at producing very nice Utsuri. Apparantly their breeding program has succeded in producing fish that are genetically compatible with harder water, so it is possible to do.
    Also try not to feed food with too much krill in them because it will cause the yellow to turn orange.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I only have the photos that came with them. When I move them back to the pond, I hope to take photos then. I always plan to do that and then things get hectic with the moving and it never pans out!

With all the beautiful show koi on this forum, I hesitate to show people mine and hope they don't laugh me off the planet. But here they are. I just love the black and yellow. They're the first fish people really notice and comment on because that yellow really stands out.

I think the black is nicer on the Maruyo koi now or that was a bad picture or she was washed out from the blue background
    looks pretty good except the fish (first one) seems kind of slim? Is that male and how old is your ki utsuri?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast