Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air and Water temperature difference?

Tosai

Air and Water temperature difference?

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to determine the difference between air and water temperature? I am feeding my koi fish high protein and it is recommended for over 18 degree celsius which is about 65 degree fahrenheit. Right now the weather is about 73 degree fahrenheit outside (air temperature).

I am going to get myself a gadget to measure this weekend but am wondering if there is anyway to calculate.

When you say gadget.... You mean thermometer?

No way to guess what your water temp is. Too many variables.

Grant

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by blueocean View Post
    Does anyone know if there is an easy way to determine the difference between air and water temperature? I am feeding my koi fish high protein and it is recommended for over 18 degree celsius which is about 65 degree fahrenheit. Right now the weather is about 73 degree fahrenheit outside (air temperature).

I am going to get myself a gadget to measure this weekend but am wondering if there is anyway to calculate.
    I am not totally sure what the "real" question is but as far as the question worded (in bold above) THE ANSWER WOULD BE: Take the temperature of the water nad that of the air and subjetract the lower from the higher and you have the temperature difference.

Now, if the real question is about the instructions for the temperature usage of the food, they are meaing the water temperature and I would suggest that they mean stable above 65F Once in the range where the water temp is going up and down above and below that, stop feeding that high protien food.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. schildkoi@aol.com
    CKHPA

Tosai

water and air temperature

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    I am not totally sure what the "real" question is but as far as the question worded (in bold above) THE ANSWER WOULD BE: Take the temperature of the water nad that of the air and subjetract the lower from the higher and you have the temperature difference.

Now, if the real question is about the instructions for the temperature usage of the food, they are meaing the water temperature and I would suggest that they mean stable above 65F Once in the range where the water temp is going up and down above and below that, stop feeding that high protien food.

Steve
    i get home around 5:30 PM in north california and outside temperature is about 73F. I feed the koi high protein food. Is that OK or not? I need to get myself a thermometer this weekend to determine the water temperature. I cannot fathom the temperature difference between air and water to be greater than 10F. I only feed the fish once a day.

Highs from day, lows at night. Plays a big role.

The depth of your pond plays a big role.
    Surface area
    Aeration
    Waterfalls
    Color of pipe and exposure to sun
    Total volume of water etc etc etc.

My pond is dealing with a high of 68 today and a low of 50 tonight. This has been the norm as of late. My pond has slowly dropped down to 61 degrees. As the weather cools off I lose about 1/2 a degree to a full degree per day.

The past few days we've had weather up in the 80s during the day, but down to the high 50's at night. Pond temp doesn't fluctuate that greatly, but as far as water temp vs. air temp... the air temp changes too rapidly to draw an average.

Grant

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Highs from day, lows at night. Plays a big role.

The depth of your pond plays a big role.
    Surface area
    Aeration
    Waterfalls
    Color of pipe and exposure to sun
    Total volume of water etc etc etc.

My pond is dealing with a high of 68 today and a low of 50 tonight. This has been the norm as of late. My pond has slowly dropped down to 61 degrees. As the weather cools off I lose about 1/2 a degree to a full degree per day.

The past few days we've had weather up in the 80s during the day, but down to the high 50's at night. Pond temp doesn't fluctuate that greatly, but as far as water temp vs. air temp... the air temp changes too rapidly to draw an average.

Grant
    I did some reading online and it appears there is a general 4 degree Fahrenheit variance between air and water temperature for the month of september.

Also here is an interesting website to calculate the water temperature in the early morning...

Seven-Day Predicted Morning Pond Temperature

Fry

Thanks, I love your link!

Quote Originally Posted by blueocean View Post
    I did some reading online and it appears there is a general 4 degree Fahrenheit variance between air and water temperature for the month of september.

Also here is an interesting website to calculate the water temperature in the early morning...

Seven-Day Predicted Morning Pond Temperature
    I am re-starting my pond in the NE from scratch today, and the temp calc link is very helpful! Thanks!

MCA
    I wonder how that calculators allows for:

full, partial, or no direct sun (radiant sun heat)
    depth of pond in contact with the earth (ground effect)
    ratio of surface area to water volume (deep or shallow pond)
    effects of showers, TTs, fluid beds, and BD air domes creating an infinite surface area for the pond water

Since the calculator seems to be based on aquaculture ponds....I doubt the above variables are considered.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by CharKoi View Post
    I am re-starting my pond in the NE from scratch today, and the temp calc link is very helpful! Thanks!
    I hope you read the "Notes" in the linked article. These are exceptions. Mississippi is a tad different than New England, especially in frost line depths and their affects. Depths of ponds (3-5 ft in the study) is also a huge variable, especially in correlations to geographic area.

Remember to take a look at the context of information. Yours may be different and without proper consideration could lead to unplanned for results.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. schildkoi@aol.com
    CKHPA

Buy a thermometer starting at about $6 and use it.

I have seen up to 20 F degrees different between water temperture and air temperture both higher and lower so thats a 40F degree variance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast