Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt level (HELP)

Nisai

Salt level (HELP)

my neighbor just has been loosing fish she finally ask me for help. I found one koi with a bad fungal problem along with fin rot so I got him quarintened and added salt to her pond was shooting for .3 % now 10 hours later I just checked it and have the pond at .46 % .

Question is should I be worried at that level and weaken it by water change or let it be that high. shes already lost I think 8 fish so I don't want my adding to much salt to claim more.

No, your salt is fine. If need be you can go higher...

Grant

The salt level is fine but you might want to scope the and find the real problem. Keep in mind some meds require there be no salt in the pond.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Now that you can read my initial response...

What's going on with your neighbor's pond? How experienced are you for dealing with this stuff? Can you post a picture of what you're dealing with? Depending on how bad the fish is, you may (will) have to do a bit more than adding salt.

If you'd like more help please post some specifics on the pond in question:

total volume of pond (or dimensions if you don't know the gallons)
    number and rough size of fish
    filtration system
    water temp
    age of the pond
    the previous fish that have been "lost"... what did they have?
    etc. etc.

Grant

Nisai
    The pond is 4 weeks old 2600 US gallons, the company that built the pond for her included 25 fish assorted KOI and gold fish ranging from 4 inches to about 10 inches, filtraion is (not) enough in my eyes but they get paid for doing it, and I built mine with a digging iron and shovel. anyway its a 4500 gal/hour pump in a skimmer box feeding a combination bio filter falls box using bio balls and filter mats. our water temp is around 66 degrees these days.

as far as the other fish I have only witnessed a few found 2 in skimmer with just the fin spines left the actual skin part was gone rather that was from being in the skimmer net or not I do not know. yesterday I removed one from the bottom that looked fine took it to my educated dealer and found out he couldn't tell the reason after the fish was dead so long.

the fish I noticed look bad yesterday while salting the pond is now in a 200 gallon pond shell with. (pimafix) and (melafix) no salt. I'll be going over to try to get a picture to post now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    The pond is 4 weeks old 2600 US gallons, the company that built the pond for her included 25 fish assorted KOI and gold fish ranging from 4 inches to about 10 inches, filtraion is (not) enough in my eyes but they get paid for doing it, and I built mine with a digging iron and shovel. anyway its a 4500 gal/hour pump in a skimmer box feeding a combination bio filter falls box using bio balls and filter mats. our water temp is around 66 degrees these days.

as far as the other fish I have only witnessed a few found 2 in skimmer with just the fin spines left the actual skin part was gone rather that was from being in the skimmer net or not I do not know. yesterday I removed one from the bottom that looked fine took it to my educated dealer and found out he couldn't tell the reason after the fish was dead so long.

the fish I noticed look bad yesterday while salting the pond is now in a 200 gallon pond shell with. (pimafix) and (melafix) no salt. I'll be going over to try to get a picture to post now.
    8 fish dead in 4 weeks??? Kind of number Charles Bronson would be happy with...

With such a high mortality rate there is obviously something seriously wrong with the pond. Do you have a microscope so that you could check for parasites?

The sick fish you've pulled out would be better off with salt that the melafix. That's just pond deodorant in my eyes. I haven't heard a single success story come from the use of it.

What are the ammonia/nitrite/PH/nitrate levels like in the pond? I'm going to guess that something is wayyyy off.

Grant

Nisai
    ammonia/nitrite =0 PH 8.0

these pictures I tagged pic #2 looks like possible hook/anchor worm?

Remeber 1st time trying to post pics

ImageShack - Hosting :: fish1cs4.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: fish2xc4.jpg

let me know if I need to do something different for posting pics

Nisai
    forgot 4 days ago ammonia was up to 2.0 ppm I think that got the first handful of fish and I used ammonialok and did about 25% water change next day but now reads 0

Hello Tyson . . .

You might find this reference thread useful in the future:

Salt . . .

Best wishes, Don

PS: I sincerly doubt you'll find a single advanced koi hobbyist who places any trust in Melafix or Pimafix as an anti-bacterial or anti-fungal pond additive.

I searched thru Tyson's info but found none so I don't know where your at, but had hopes of referring you to an AKCA club nearby that had a qualified KHA advisor available. A lot of time money and effort has gone into this program to come along side such problems and i'd like to see us get some good out of the program by using it. It;s kinda why we can't get away with calling in to a Dr's office, we have to come in to be seen or in this case have the KHA go out. It's that being there advantage that makes a difference.

It seems that the pond was brand new, overstocked, even if properly filtered it was still weeks away from beginning to establish itself, so all the components were there for failure. Shame, we lose so many potential hobbyists because of the grief this type of situation presents.

Kudos for Tyson to step up and try to help...hope we can see if they are anywhere close to a AKCA member club....
    Dick Benbow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast