Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At Lukes request..pick one and why :)

At Lukes request..pick one and why :)

Title says it all Number them 1-4 from left to right.

Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Meg
    from the picture #4 would be my first pick
    more power/strength in the over all look/conformation of this kio, wide shoulders, thick tail tube.
    has the most kohaku-ish base pattern
    interesting face

#1 would be my second choice

now someone who actually knows something please chime in and help me out

ok, I just saw the other thread, these are your grow outs?
    which are you most please with thus far? and why?

Well Meg,

I'm not someone who knows what they're talking about, but I'm not afraid of the taste of my foot either!

So...

I think #1 is my favourite. I believe the photo is doing funny things to the tail tube and making it look smaller due to the motion of the fish... I think the beni is good, and I like the wide mouth/head of the fish. Lots of sumi below the surface which would help balance out the appearance of the fish in time.

#4 would be my next choice. I agree that the head and shoulders on this fish give it a powerful appearance. A nice wide mouth too. When I divide the koi into thirds, of course the middle section is lacking beni, but I would hope that in the future sumi would rise here to balance the appearance out some.

#3 would be my third choice. A little on the thin side, and likely male (IMO) but I like how bright the shiroji is. I believe the pattern has nice balance.

#4 is my last choice... There appears (might be the photo) to be a deformity in the head of the fish and I would worry the koi would turn out stubby looking. I also really dont like the hi in the pec fin.

So, now I'll await a more educated response....

Grant

First off, body conformation/future pattern balance potential.
    All appear to be on equal footing in terms of skin and color quality, but the submerged sumi on #1 looks to be well positioned to refine the overall balance of the fish and it has an excellent frame.
    #3 has a similar frame albeit somewhat on the slender side by comparison to #1, but it has very clean body lines.
    #4 was almost 2nd place as I think the submerged sumi in the tail tube will come up and re-balance the pattern very nicely, but I'm a bit concerned that this one may wind up football shaped. If it doesn't it may wind up being the best one. The photo angle may be deceiving me on the body.
    #2 isn't a bad fish, and in many ways may grow up to be the "prettiest", but I just don't think it has the bones to keep up in terms of size and power.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

#3 prevails today IMO if we were judging. It has the more finished look and pleasing body lines. The beni is very even, except perhaps at the caudal joint. Seems likely it is male. If not, this will be a wonderful koi, although not as large as #1 or #4.

For a large fish in the future, the choice is between #1 and #4. The photo angles really do not allow a confident choice between them.

Nice grow-out fish.

None of them are deformed .
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

MCA
    pick one for today...as in a show.....or for the future.....big difference

4 has best confirmation today

second judging criteria is skin and color quality....can't compare them from that photo

so on to pattern....today #1, for future #4

#1 to me has it all. Good body conformation, skin quality, good white, stable looking soft beni, decent balanced pattern with more to come. Looks like it has a big pattern and may look great when it grows larger.

also, looks like the sumi to come may turn it into a great-looking 4/3-step!

I would pick 4.
    Decent pattern on the hi with some shiro on the body. Intresting face pattern. Good sumi in the first half of the koi. I was recently told by a top judge that when looking at a tosai look for sumi on the front half, if it's there the back half sumi will come later. If it's not on the front it might never develop at all.

Nice broad head and shoulders and a wide mouth. I think this one is slightly angled up in this photo where the others are all flat down on the bottom of the bowl. It therefore appears shorter and more pinched to the back than the others.

Kiwa is a concern but I'd have to see them or at least a better pic. Sashi looks real good. Pecs look female.

Second choice would be 1.

Daihonmei
    4 thickest up front and even patern..not thirds but halves the shiro will have a thick band of sumi..this IS THE FISH. IMNSHO
    1 longest so may be the biggest if it goes the "length first and thickness after it is through growing"
    2 real entertaining face once its sumi comes up
    3 last real thin now and no chance for shiro to apear, it'll look like an "almost hi utsuri"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast